Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Coastal Creations - Progress Shots.

Pages: 1 6 replies

I just got a new Flexcut Mallet Set and i was itching to give it a try. I know this isn't your usual tiki, but Mesquite isn't your usual wood either. So here are some progress shots of my first official hand carved "tiki".

This was at the beginning of day two.

Here is a shot about 12 hours later. Did I mention that Mesquite wood is like concrete?

Unfortunately, progress shots are going to be few and far between. Stupid work. Cheers.

Rick.

Mesquite IS rock-hard, but you can save the chips to smoke some ribs (can't do THAT with palm) It doesn't make very traditional tikis but I love that you are working the form of the wood into the tiki.

I had a design in mind for this particular piece of wood, but once i started carving everything started changing. To be honest, i have no idea where this one is headed anymore. ha. Anyhow, thanks for lookin.

A
amate posted on Mon, Aug 15, 2011 3:23 PM

Mesquite probably not the best choice for a first carve but the finished product is nice. If you ever get up to San Antonio, the Museum of Art used to have a very large mesquite carving by a local artist. I don't know if it was a regular exhibit but I saw it there twice. The carving was well done but the finish was highly polished and remarkable. It must have taken him a year to sand it. The piece was probably 2.5 feet in diameter by 10 feet.

Amate, i agree that Mesquite probably wasn't the best choice, but it's all i had at the moment. haha. I do all kinds of woodworking with mesquite so i have tons of it just waiting to be used. I actually found a large palm tree the other day and i carved a little piece just to get a feel. Man, that stuff is like butter. Anyhow, i will try and get to that museum if i'm ever in San Antonio. Sounds like its a beauty. I can only imagine how long it took to carve something that large.

A
amate posted on Tue, Aug 16, 2011 3:29 PM

They also have a excellent Oceanic Arts exhibit. You won't be disappointed.

Really good start, more pics ...

Pages: 1 6 replies