Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

is this what tiki culture is becoming? if so are you ok with it?

Pages: 1 2 68 replies

I made it through 3 seconds, No Thank you!

T

It's inane, but then so is the idea that there is an entity called "tiki culture" which is somehow threatened by such material. Which, if it were true, would argue against, in essence, spreading it by prompting innocent bystanders like me to click that link and consequently have that chorus running through their heads for the rest of the day. Come to think of it, thanks a lot! :x
(Don't mind me, I didn't sleep well last night.)

Thank the tiki gods im going to Oasis, so i can forget i ever saw that.......

See some "Dads" don't ROCK! ehhho whaa ehhhooo.....

My ears! Make it stop!

Wow..that's the worst thing I've ever seen, Tiki or not. And now I'm going to have it stuck in my head, thanks a lot Jeff.

I hear this is played on a continuous loop at Party City.

what do you mean becom[u]ing[/u]?

this video is how i've always pictured the TC crowd.

except, in dimmer light, and with Mai tais instead of beer at the feet of the tikis.

:P

I SURE DO HOPE SOMEONE IS STANDING BY WITH A MOIST TOWELETTE FOR BIGBRO WHEN HE SEES THIS.

My eyes...they burn!

I LOVE this song !!! Keep writing guys, you're on the right track !

is that king kukulele on bass ?

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2011-08-17 12:29 ]

I'd take my Tikiyaki and TJO over these guys any day!! :wink:

A

Again? Maybe it's time to start The Official Merrell Fankhauser "We Love Tiki" Admiration topic. Or just call it WLT for short so people can make quick casual reference to it without making a new thread, as one of the common acronyms here (TC, BOT, DtB, TV, TO, ITD, HTs, WWJD, ...).

neon meadow sez "Awesome song, We Love Tikis" in 2006

dua tale sez "new Tiki video"

Chongolio sez "it just doesn't work as a Tiki Tune"

Spermy sez "when hippy's and tiki mix"

lucas vigor sez "the decline of Tiki" and JOHN-O sez "COOL"

lucas vigor replies to his own jubidoo thread

And I couldn't help commenting on it either...

On 2009-11-08 22:18, aquarj wrote:
Here is a nice version of Bermuda by Merrell Fankhauser and the Impacts. Actually it's on other threads that Fankhauser comes up as an example of highly questionable taste in modern times with the "We Love Tikis" video. BUT he did have some good stuff with the Impacts in the last decade or so (like this version of Bermuda), and of course more so in the 60s with the original Impacts.

-Randy

J

On 2011-08-17 12:39, aquarj wrote:

...lucas vigor sez "the decline of Tiki" and JOHN-O sez "COOL"

Fonzie COOL !! :)

Now stuck in my head and repeating. Anyone got a drill so I can excise this demon?

On 2011-08-17 10:59, naugatiki wrote:
I hear this is played on a continuous loop at Party City.

:lol:

TM

Unfortunately, we live in a culture where you can slap a tiki or two in your act, and presto! Now you are tiki!

We have come a long way from the glorious days of the original tiki scene, where great musicianship was par for the course....and required. Now anyone can claim to be Tiki. It happens outside this scene, and even inside. Frankly, I am suprised old merrill is not headlining some major tiki event already!
When this was first posted, there were in fact several members of this forum who LOVED this video, because it was so fun and carefree! It's warm and fuzzy, and that makes it good? Well, so is my ass....and nobody but my girlfriend likes IT. (and even she has doubts)

There are so few musicians around who have the chops to play real tiki music, and have it be true to the style and be convincing....it's rare, because most of the musicians who could play this stuff well are into other types of music, like jazz.

In my mind, there are only a handful of real tiki acts around today...Tikiyaki, martini kings, stolen idols....that's where it's at, baby!

I saw an Ed Hardy T-shirt at a thrift store the other day that said "Punk's not Dead". The existence of that shirt did not negate everything that X-Ray Spex, The Germs, X, Big Black...etc, etc. ever did. It exists on another plane.

Lucas you are so right,but I gotta ask,You have a girlfriend? where you been keeping her?
Fiji Mermaid, you also are in the "Right Zone" and in this reality your navigator "Goose" does not die.

(Allow me to vent for a second) Fuck those "Ed Hardy" wearing Mother Fuckers!!!!!!
Ohhh so sorry! I don't know what came over me.............

T

This ones from Maui, where everyone is Wowie

This video could be an alternative to water boarding.

Not even in my days of pure Tiki naivete would that have interested me.

I dunno what the big deal is, this clip has been around for some time:

Uploaded by manfrommu on May 29, 2006

I hear you Sven, the way I see it "Bad" is not good & this song/video is BAD.
I don't think my opinion even comes into the picture on this one, it is just bad.

ooo waahhh EWWWW!!!!

At least they know the tiki's come from the Pacific ocean and not the Caribbean.

I don't think one has to know anything at all about "tiki" in order to recognize that the video and song in question are lame-ass.

On 2011-08-17 22:20, bigbrotiki wrote:

Now that it becomes more apparent that the result of all this misguided "ALL Tiki is good Tiki" laissez-faire attitude is leading to a "Tiki has left the building" situation, don't come crying to me!

And if you don't get my drift in what I am saying here, and don't give a damn, go live on in ignorant bliss, cuz "It's all good".

There is something to be said about ignorant bliss. For one thing it's blissful and more fun. Would never come crying to anybody, especially BigBro.

The "But it's supposed to be fun!" argument comes right after the "all creativity is sacred" excuse for the "All Tiki is good Tiki" crowd.

TM

On 2011-08-17 17:08, Chuck Tatum is Tiki wrote:
Lucas you are so right,but I gotta ask,You have a girlfriend? where you been keeping her?

She comes from a tropical country. Tiki has no interest for her, because she grew up surrounded by the real thing. She does, however, go to every one of my classical music gigs....

http://soundcloud.com/lucas-vigor/sets/set-3/

"yer jus not tuned into the series of tubes yet, let it soak in".

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2011-08-18 09:32 ]

TM

On 2011-08-17 22:20, bigbrotiki wrote:

But back then, when I was warning about the "watering down" of Tiki culture, I was challenged as a "hoity-toity" Tiki purist, and pegged as non-supporter of oh-so-holy "anything goes" "creativity".

Now that it becomes more apparent that the result of all this misguided "ALL Tiki is good Tiki" laissez-faire attitude is leading to a "Tiki has left the building" situation, don't come crying to me!

And if you don't get my drift in what I am saying here, and don't give a damn, go live on in ignorant bliss, cuz "It's all good".

Sven, you see things so clearly! You are absolutely right!

Yes, Sven, now that I think about it a bit more, you are correct.
While the unenlightened might see the video as just a silly little song that is a lounge singers attempt to put some novelty/comedy in his act, the more enlightened among us see it as what it is. A thinly veiled attempt to attack and bring down the mighty Tiki Culture and change our very way of life. This type of blasphemy has to be stopped and stopped now! I say we begin by putting the name Fankhauser on the “He who’s name must not be uttered” list NOW (right up there with the dreaded Mr. B).

I hear they are touring the country, performing their Tiki song hit parade at Party Store locations. Right next to the coconut bras/grass skirts and the plastic luau supplies.

I remember seeing this the first time around and had a good laugh. Unfortunately, it wasn't with them, but at them. I can't really get too wound up about the merits of their tiki observations, because let's face it, a lot of tiki art and culture is in the eye of the beholder, so I guess I'll give him a pass on that point. The one thing that DID offend me though, was that he's proclaimed as a "famed surf guitarist". I guess if you turn up the reverb/echo on your amp, you're suddenly a "famed surf guitarist".

That is horrible. Tiki aside - the music mapping

Isn't that sweet! Reminds me of fluffy little pink poodles.

TM

As you can see from one of his vintage 70's era videos, he is clearly in the Hawaiian "Hippy" mold....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeIRdpfcPhk&feature=related

These people do have a legitimate presence in Hawaii, especially in Maui, but it is so far from poly-pop. I actually don't hate it...but it is not my cup of tea.

J

"Is this what Tiki culture is becoming? If so are you OK with it?"...

Good question. But if we apply it to a "We Love Tikis" video or a Carribean bar, the answer is too obvious. As one member pointed out, it's like shooting fish in a barrel around these parts.

The real interesting discussion would be whether going "South of the Border" or "Goin' Primitive" (A monkey wearing a fez ?), or Ed Roth style art, or any other "grey area" under the guise of Tiki is also blurring the lines of the original style. If so, is that "All good" ??

Obviously all of these things are fun. And if consumption is validation, then I plead guilty.

But really, at what point can we draw the line ??

:)

TM

For me, John...I tolerate all those subdivisions....I also actually enjoy most of the "modern" tiki art that seems more related to low brow art then anything else...

But this....this is what I think of when I think of Tiki:

Party guests that look like June Cleaver. Fake cantonese chinese food, heavy on syrup and MSG. Filipino waiter looking on. In essense, people who went to the tiki bar one night, the cuban Ricky Ricardo style club the next, and enjoyed their martinis. The swank lifestyle. mid-century lounge culture. Tiki before it was called "Tiki".

What I don't see in this picture is long hair, tatts, any elements of punk or rock.

Martin Denny is to me, Glen Miller with exotic percussion. This is what I love most about Tiki.

http://soundcloud.com/lucas-vigor/sets/set-3/

"yer jus not tuned into the series of tubes yet, let it soak in".

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2011-08-18 15:50 ]

TS

lol, just looking at the members again, remind me of a hodge podge in-house band that plays in Hermosa Beach...:lol:...Like a Grateful Dead meets Jimmy Buffet meets Steely Dan concoction.

This is it for me too. And I don't expect all to appreciate it.

Merrell was never a great one for clever lyrics and I think the 60s hit him hard. I remember seeing his band MU on a local LA dance show in the early 70s and it was pretty psychadelic. He was a pretty good guitarist at one time....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_1uFikaZzw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxGiHZ_mnps&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgSdpYJpi9A&playnext=1&list=PL7EC88E17C0A4209F

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uW-MwTJ7Bk8

A few years ago he was playing a restaurant in Pismo Beach and his wife was teaching hula in nearby Grover Beach

Not Tiki Culture

This is awesome!!!!! Just kidding. What I can say about this is that I can appreciate loving tiki because this is part of what the culture is about. But this is way to overboard and dumb. Trust the forgotten tikiman. These guys will be forgotten quickly.

On 2011-08-17 16:27, Fiji Mermaid wrote:
I saw an Ed Hardy T-shirt at a thrift store the other day that said "Punk's not Dead". The existence of that shirt did not negate everything that X-Ray Spex, The Germs, X, Big Black...etc, etc. ever did. It exists on another plane.

Wow. Ed Hardy is the opposite of Old Skool Punk - or so I thought.
Trying to breathe new life by going old school.

I remember we had a name for them, Posers.

On 2011-08-18 21:03, bongofury wrote:
Merrell was never a great one for clever lyrics and I think the 60s hit him hard. I remember seeing his band MU on a local LA dance show in the early 70s and it was pretty psychadelic. He was a pretty good guitarist at one time....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_1uFikaZzw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxGiHZ_mnps&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgSdpYJpi9A&playnext=1&list=PL7EC88E17C0A4209F

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uW-MwTJ7Bk8

A few years ago he was playing a restaurant in Pismo Beach and his wife was teaching hula in nearby Grover Beach

Not Tiki Culture

The last song, "waterfall", actually has some possibilities as a "tiki" song....take away the singing, add birdcalls and ramp up the percussion, make the vibes the main instrument, not just in the background...maybe!

I bet this Merrell Fanhuaser is the nicest guy in the world. of course, none of it has any relation to Tiki, but I kind of feel guilty making fun of the "we love tikis" song. Yes, this guy does have a legacy, in that, he has been making music since the time of the beach boys. Surf rock, too. Looking at his videos, his niceness comes through. I wish I was nice like him (But I ain't!). hey, God bless him for doing his thing....long as no one seriously thinks this is true Tiki music, no harm can come from it!

Pages: 1 2 68 replies