Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Central Ohana

Mike @ Picture Show Gallery, Seal Beach

Pages: 1 2 53 replies

Stopped by Picture Show Gallery today. It had been some time since I had been there and I was expecting to see Mike, the owner in his usual enthusiastic and upbeat self. Sadly, I learned he was recently diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and is not doing well. For those of you who know Mike, he is facing this with great courage. When his co-worker asked what she should tell people, Mike said, "Just tell them that I am sick with cancer." I have always appreciated Mike's good nature, impeccible talent for custom framing, and his mega cool shop with art by Shag, Doug Horne, and many other Tiki artists. Please send your good thoughts to Mike and his family and stop by and support the gallery if you have time. He's a great guy who has contributed much to the Tiki community.

He is a cool guy with a cool shop to boot
Best wishes to Mike & Family, Just saw him a few weeks ago at Don's.
Man, a Bad week for the Ohana.

I heard about this...very sad. Mike is such an upbeat, friendly guy. Sending my best mana for him and his family at this time.

A week before Tiki Oasis Karen, Mike Adler's wife told us that they couldn't make Oasis this year. Mike Alder, the owner of the Picture Show Gallery in Seal Beach was just diagnosed with Metastic Adenocarcinoma. Mike is a true friend of the tiki community as well as the local business and social communities he lives and works in. I have spoke to his family and they think its a good idea to have a get-together or show of support. So we are going to have a "Party" or "Show of Support" for Mike at Don the Beachcomber September 17 @ 6pm. Stay tuned as details will be coming in quickly! This will be a benefit for the family. If you'd like to help out or participate, please PM WooHooWahine or myself.

Mike is an exceptionally sweet and nice man, this is a horrible thing, but with his good humor and positive attitude he can pull thru and beat it! I wish him and his Family all the best during these tough times.... I will say a prayer for my friend and his family.

I wonder if we should send cards to the picture show gallery?

Amy

For any of you who don't know Mike (and knowing Mike... not too many of you probably don't know him), he is such an engaging & fun guy who is completely full of life and love! Mike has been a great friend for years and I'm guessin' in Mike's style, he probably said out lout something like "wadda way to celebrate my 50th"! Mike you take good care my friend... my thoughts and prayers are with you!!

MIKE is the Best,
so sorry to hear this horrible news,
Hope you can beat it,
and See ya at Dons on Sept. 17th.

Jeff(btd)

Like many others I consider Mike extended ohana. His absence at Tiki Oasis this year was felt before we even got there. He usually calls me when we are in route all fired up, asking when we will be arriving since he is usually already poolside and in full on Tiki Oasis mode. Mike is the most energetic, positive, stoked guy I know and his laugh and energy is contagious. Mike can go anywhere and make it fun . When I first got the news I had a hard time processing it. I went through a lot of stages of grief. Then I remembered who we are talking about. Mike is not somebody that is just going to throw up his hands and surrender. Mike is a hard charger and if anybody can conquer this bullshit, he’s da guy!!! So along with our positive thoughts and energy we should all look forward to many more good times with our friend Mike. Because in his words and I quote. “I can do anything im Mike Fuckin Adler”. Love that guy!!!!!!!

The Boo's are thinking and pullin' for you ADLER!!!

On 2011-08-24 11:49, SoccerTiki wrote:
A week before Tiki Oasis Karen, Mike Adler's wife told us that they couldn't make Oasis this year. Mike Alder, the owner of the Picture Show Gallery in Seal Beach was just diagnosed with Metastic Adenocarcinoma. Mike is a true friend of the tiki community as well as the local business and social communities he lives and works in. I have spoke to his family and they think its a good idea to have a get-together or show of support. So we are going to have a "Party" or "Show of Support" for Mike at Don the Beachcomber September 17 @ 6pm. Stay tuned as details will be coming in quickly! This will be a benefit for the family. If you'd like to help out or participate, please PM WooHooWahine or myself.

On 2011-08-27 08:39, WooHooWahine wrote:
Mahalo! Mahalo! Mahalo to : GoTiki, HBTiki, Big Toe, Tiki Farm, Fluff, Swampfire,Happy Chi, and Falling Cocos for being the first ones up to bat with donations for our Raffle Drawing for This Very Special Event for Mike Adler. This is what the true spirit of the TC Ohana is all about....being there for each other wthen we need some help. Keep those donations coming! MAHALO!

[ Edited by: woohoowahine 2011-08-27 12:48 ]

If you are interested in donating a prize for our Raffle you can PM me or send an email to [email protected] :)

Mike is a Very Special Person and Friend..let's show him The Ohana Spirit though this event. :)

On 2011-08-24 14:08, Queen Kamehameha wrote:

I wonder if we should send cards to the picture show gallery?

Cards Can Be Sent to the following address:

The Picture Show Gallery
c/o Mike Adler
231 Main Street
Seal Beach, Ca 90740

The following website was created by MIke's Good friend Marina to keep everyone updated on what is going on:

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/mikeadler

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2011-08-30 17:38 ]

S

Thanks for the website link Woo Hoo. It's a great way to keep up with Mike bear witness to his great spirit. Sending good thoughts and best wishes.

Just a Reminder: We need all Raffle Prizes & Silent Auction Items for Mike Mania by Monday, September 12th. I will be at The Marlin Bar tonight and at Don's on Mon., Sept. 12 if you are in the area and have something to drop off. Please PM me or Email me at [email protected] if you can't make it to either of these places and would like to make other arrangements. Mahalo!!!

If you are interested in donating a prize for our Raffle or Silent Auction you can PM me or send an email to [email protected] :)  

Don't Forget: We need all Raffle Prizes & Silent Auction Items for Mike Mania by Monday, September 12th. I will be at Don's on Mon., Sept. 12 from 5:00pm to 7:30 if you are in the area and have something to drop off. Please PM me or Email me at [email protected] if you can't make it to either of these places and would like to make other arrangements. Mahalo!!!

FYI..... The Picture Show Gallery has picked itself up after getting knocked down for a while. We are up and running as usual. We still are doing custom framing with no price increase. We are offering all of the great pictures and home decor items, with new items coming in for the holiday season. Linda and I are taking on Mike's responsibilities to keep the gallery running smoothly. Though he will be missed, we hope you will come and visit us.

Thank you for your support,

Karen Adler

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2011-09-16 12:43 ]

RD

Definitely will stop by the shop this weekend while in town to support MikeMania. The Picture Show Galley is the best store on Main Street!!!

This Article was in a recent Los Alamitos/Seal Beach Electronic Web-based Magazine:

Tiki Community Rallies Around Popular Gallery Owner with Cancer

A fundraiser tonight for the Mike Adler, owner of Main Street mainstay, the Picture Show Gallery, is as much as show of support as a means of paying medical bills.

By Paige Austin
Email the author
September 17, 2011

About 200 people are expected at Don the Beachcomber’s tonight. In common, they share a love of all things tiki and of Mike Adler, Seal Beach’s longtime patron of tiki art and the popular owner of the Picture Show Gallery on Main Street.

Just months after his seemingly healthy 50th birthday, Adler was diagnosed with stage four Metastic Adenocarcinoma.

Tonight’s gathering is as much a show of support as it is a fundraiser, said organizer and friend Chris Garland.

“The tiki community is a big group of people who like to get together and celebrate all things Polynesian and tiki. (Adler) has always been a strong supporter of tiki and Lowbrow Arts. That shop has been there for two decades, and he is well-known and well-liked by everyone,” Garland said. “Whenever there is a need, he is the first person to jump in and help. He’s an all-around great guy. That this should happen to such a nice guy really hit everybody hard.”

Many of the artists supported by Adler have come forward with original artwork to raffle off at tonight’s fundraiser, including Shag (Josh Agle), Derek Yaniger, Big Toe, Ken Ruzic and Doug Horne. Three bands – The Hula Girls, The Ding Domg Devils, and Three Swank Bastards – will also be performing. Hundreds of prizes will be given out in raffles and a silent auction. Art Snyder, offered up his restaurant for the venue on just three week’s notice. That so many people would come forward to help reflects just how much Adler means to the community, said Garland.

The money raised at the event will go directly to help Adler, his wife Karen and two children to help pay medical bills.

“It’s awesome to see everyone come together to help someone,” Garland said. “It creates an overall good feeling a positive aura, and shows Mike how much we support him.”

Tickets for tonight are $20. The doors open at 6 p.m., and Don The Beachcomber is at 16278 Pacific Coast Highway. Supporters can also make donations by sending checks directly to the Picture Show Gallery.