Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Recipe: Samoan Typhoon-Sippin' Safari

Pages: 1 9 replies

AA

Hey everyone

I'm new to the world of tiki and picked up a copy of Sippin Safari and couldn't find any posts about a drink in here.

Its on page 158 and its called "Samoan Typhoon"

4 ounces fresh lime juice
2 ounces unsweetened pineapple juice
2 ounces orange juice
1 ounce honey
2 ounces passion fruit syrup
4 ounces dark puerto rican rum
1 ounce myer's rum
1 1/2 ounces vodka
2 cups (16 ounces) crushed ice

the drink is for 2

For the 4 ounces of puerto rican dark rum I'm trying to figure out if he is referring to puerto rican gold rum or something else and whether or not to use meyer's dark or white rum (guessing dark)

any help is appreciatied since i'm new to all this.

mahalo everyone!

Yup. Myers's dark and probably Bacardi 8. Cruzan (Dark in this case) is my preferred PR rum substitute.

[ Edited by: jingleheimerschmidt 2011-08-30 16:24 ]

Bacardi Select is Puerto Rican dark.

Ron de Barrilito would probably also fit the bill.

havent had that drink before. man, that's a lot of lime.

[ Edited by: thePorpoise 2011-08-30 18:19 ]

On 2011-08-30 18:17, thePorpoise wrote:

That's what I meant to say. Although I reckon 8 would work but why bother?

AA

On 2011-08-30 18:17, thePorpoise wrote:

Ron de Barrilito would probably also fit the bill.

havent had that drink before. man, that's a lot of lime.

[ Edited by: thePorpoise 2011-08-30 18:19 ]

Thanks for the help from both of you, much appreciated!

I though Bacardi Select would be considered Puerto Rican gold, but maybe it's the samething I'm still learning.

It is a lot of lime but it is supposed to be a drink for two so that could be the reason. I'll post a reply when I make it and let you guys know how it is!

I believe that Beachbum Berry had addressed the issue of dark Puerto Rican rum regarding the original 1934 Zombie, which also called for it. According to him, a true dark Puerto Rican rum has not existed for quite some time. It'd be interesting to hear some background on this type.

D

All dark rum, plus vodka? That sounds putrid.

In 1969 (the date cited in the recipe) I believe "dark" Puerto Rican rum really meant "gold",... as opposed to "light", which was the white rum.
In my old bartending books, including the 1948 and 1972 Trader Vic's, the varieties and qualities of Puerto Rican rums do not include what we would consider a truly "dark rum". Instead, they are considered more akin to Cuban rums - light bodied and relatively dry. I believe Bacardi Select is a relative latecomer.
I think the appropriate and intended Puerto Rican rum for the Samoan Typhoon recipe is the gold - in which case, the 1 ounce of Myers's would actually contribute something to the overall flavor. Four ounces of Bacardi Select? You might as well put 5 ounces, and skip the Myers's.

D

Rather than use Bacardi Select, go with Cruzan Aged (Gold) or Flor de Cana Gold (any of the varieties). They have a similar profile to the Bacardi, but are better.

S

Try The Grogalizer for all your drink help. I'd use Cruzan Dark here. Not nearly as strong as Myerss, but not a gold flavor either. If The Bum meant a gold rum, I think he would say so and try to throw us off with an old call that is defunct.

Pages: 1 9 replies