Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

My little man-cave TiKi BAR-ATL:

Pages: 1 17 replies

S
Simon posted on Fri, Sep 2, 2011 12:27 PM

UPDATE
It's been a while but.thought I would update now that we have our own home instead of the rental.The space is A LOT smaller now but,we found space in the sun room.Also used my ku tiki for Halloween.1st pic.is the old rental with my 6'1"friend next to me to get an idea of the height.

I've been reading and viewing this page for a couple years now and have been amazed at the detail/extent/commitment you guys do!!.Finally got a house now with the lady soooo...who wouldn't want a tiki bar in there basement??Mind you this home is a rental so I had to be realistic.

[ Edited by: Simon 2011-09-05 10:26 ]

[ Edited by: Simon 2014-08-05 09:26 ]

K

Great first post Simon,

Nice work on the bar, the place is looking good already!

p.s. Don't let bigbrotiki see that Barong Boma mask behind the bar!

W

Hey Simon, welcome to TC! Love what you've done with your space.

Great looking Boxer too!

Mahalo!
Chris
WestADad

I dig This :)

J

Pretty good start. Ditch the white and you are there.

Nice job...I know it is hard to build on a temporary basis in a rental...so keep up the good work.

N

That is a lot of work for a rental, kudos my friend, really looking super cool!!!!

OK, love this...great photo, what a super cool idea...if I could incorporate something like this into a water feature...HMMMMM

So I've been playing around with my bar all weekend, I bought 1/2 round for the bar, but the more I see is people notching it. How are did you get that bamboo to fit on the bar like this?

Put some netted rope around the lights above the bar to turn them into fish floats.

A

Lookin' good.

Unga - I think those are paper lanterns so kind of hard to put netting around them. But maybe different colors would provide a little more mood to the place.

TZ

For the bamboo trim on my bar, I used pliers to nip out the internal dividers between the bamboo chambers. This allowed me to put the bamboo half over the 90-degre angle where the bar top and side come together. A few finish nails hold the trim on (be sure and drill pilot holes). I wasn't able to get a perfectly flush meeting on the bar top, so I used colored caulk to fill and blend. It is a bit "rustic," but for an outside bar like mine it was fine. I imagine you could use a belt sander to even out and bevel the edge of the bamboo if you wanted a more finished effect.

N

On 2011-09-20 08:28, Tiki Zen wrote:
For the bamboo trim on my bar, I used pliers to nip out the internal dividers between the bamboo chambers. This allowed me to put the bamboo half over the 90-degre angle where the bar top and side come together. A few finish nails hold the trim on (be sure and drill pilot holes). I wasn't able to get a perfectly flush meeting on the bar top, so I used colored caulk to fill and blend. It is a bit "rustic," but for an outside bar like mine it was fine. I imagine you could use a belt sander to even out and bevel the edge of the bamboo if you wanted a more finished effect.

GREAT bit of info...thanks so much, I'll be back at it here in about a week, may look at giving that a try....

PS///LOVE YOUR BUILD>>>>

[ Edited by: newB24 2011-09-20 11:52 ]

Here I've been indefinitely postponing building a home tiki bar because I too live in a rental house... And then you go build this awesome one in your rental! Now I might have to start building one myself. DAMN YOU!!! :wink: But seriously, nice job!

S
Simon posted on Tue, Feb 7, 2012 9:11 PM

Thanks everyone for the kind words!!!I know it's a late response.A lot has been going on including a proposal not long after I posted these so now doing all the fun wedding planning together for July.Yeah this rental,I never planned on going this far with it but,that's what usually happens when you visually try to limit yourself with a rental but,(then it looks half assed) I started with the base and added this,that,this,that and got more creative with things.My landlord almost $**t himself when he saw it cause he LOVED IT!!He lives next door so he wanted to have the bar open along with his house for a Halloween big party he throws every year!!Everyone loved it AND I got best costume with my homemade sushi outfit along with a nice bottle of Crystalhead Vodka!!I have the costume hanging by the bar I need to take a picture of it and post it up.BTW if anyone has any ideas on how to liven up the bar/atmosphere please throw them to me!!I do need to change the color of the lanterns.I over looked how boring they do look.

MA-HALO!!!

My best man,me,and my fiance and yes that is a drink holder in front of me cause my drink couldn't reach my mouth when I did a test fit:)

I like customizing,building just about anything!Tiki's/bamboo have always had a place in my heart..and my 64 VW bus too!!I'm not your average traditional kind of guy here. :)

[ Edited by: Simon 2012-02-07 21:17 ]

MH

I love the idea of using astro turf as coasters. Smart thinker, you are. And your pup is too cute!

W

Thats a great bar, where did you find the masks? Rental or not I think it came out great.

Great job! That smoke breathing tiki is so cool. I like the grassy look too. You really went all out.

S
Simon posted on Wed, Feb 29, 2012 6:31 PM

On 2012-02-08 22:56, Wayfarer wrote:
Thats a great bar, where did you find the masks? Rental or not I think it came out great.

Thanks Wayfarer,the masks a handful of them my mom got me as bday/christmas gifts over the years(you can tell which ones they are:)a couple of the hannya masks I brought back from Japan and the others i got from a friend in Florida who sells them.I would highly recommend you go to him for the simple tiki mask bar theme!!His prices are really the lowest especially if you buy more!!He sells them on ebay also but,he will save you a lot especially if you pick them up from his warehouse!!I can give you his number if your interested.I got most of them from him.you can wheel and deal with him:)

S
Simon posted on Wed, Feb 29, 2012 6:33 PM

On 2012-02-13 20:10, simplydlacruz wrote:
Great job! That smoke breathing tiki is so cool. I like the grassy look too. You really went all out.

Thank you,yeah I really did go all out for a rental:)I started with a small vision but,it just didn't look/feel right so I just kept adding and adding things to get it to that point and it all worked out.

Pages: 1 17 replies