Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

VJ day parade in Honolulu 1945

Pages: 1 34 replies

My dad sent this to me and I thought I would share with everyone.As many of us know
Polynesian and tiki themed bars and restaurants started in the states after the
war ended as a form of escapism .My Dad served in the navy and was stationed in Hawaii,
Philippines and Japan .This was sent to my father by a friend of his .

JUST THINK HOW THIS YOUNG LADY FELT WHEN SHE DISCOVERED THE VIDEO HER FATHER SHOT
This footage was found in daughters fathers camera ,and had been there since 1945
Great home movie put on a video of a Spontaneous Victory Parade in Honolulu in 1945.
Take a look at this absolutely awesome video! Notice the cars and jeeps, the youth.
The guys in khaki or gray shirts and black ties are Navy officers or chiefs. The rest
are Army or Marine. How young they all were to do what they did. They must be in their
nineties now.This guy really captured a moment in history! (You can listen to Jimmy
Durante singing "I'll be Seeing You" in the background, too).
This is a super video of a time past - we need to remember and be THANKFUL.Check out
the color fidelity. It's not bad for 1945. Nothing will ever compare with Kodachrome
film. The sound track except for Jimmy Durante also sounds authentic. That is in
itself unusual for a home movie from 1945. Few could afford sound with their cameras.

http://vimeo.com/5645171

T
TikiG posted on Fri, Sep 2, 2011 12:46 PM

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing with us!

K

Wow...thank you so much for sharing that. That was emotional watching that, and the view of Waikiki in 1945..great!

What a treasure! Great color, great cars. Guys standing on the roof of pickups while driving! Loved "the wave" thing the guy did will his belly after drinking from the bottle :lol:

BK

Goosebumps, man! Thanks for the link.

My Dad was in the Army stationed in Oahu during World War II. He passed away three years ago, but I think of him very often. I have a number of pictures from his time there.
Thank you so much for sharing this.
~kele

Thanks for posting this short video. Echo BigKahuna, goosebumps. Love Hawaii, but don't go to Waikiki anymore, wish it still had the charm as shown in the video, small town feel!

I see the vid has evoked emotion 66 years later for you as it did for me .
Glad you enjoyed a little piece of history .

G

Very nice film! Quite a moment in history. One thing to note though is that the sound effects were added. The original film was silent, as noted by the poster in the comments section. But that doesn't detract from its historical significance or entertainment value. Bringing history to life is always a good thing.

U
umeone posted on Wed, Sep 7, 2011 5:22 AM

Thank you for sharing this film clip, a glimpse into our history of the best part of the war. Very well done and very emotional, priceless!

Amazing!!

Thanks you for sharing this wonderful tribute to all our men and women in uniform.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

What a great home movie!

TS

THAT was just awesome. I was very moved by that. A great glimpse into the past.

and...I want every one of those cars!

Mahalo nui loa,
TS

M

There's more delicious taste of old Hawaii in the film than there is left in most Hawaii these day's. I often refer to youtube for reflection on the good ol' days of Hawaii nei, it was once a more special than most can ever imagine.

Agreed and well stated msteeln.You should know since you live in Hawaii today !

Great!!!

I tried to watch this with a dry eye and found it absolutely impossible. This just made me think of my father, my uncles and the fact that I was blessed to be raised by the Greatest Generation!

MAHALO, RICHARD SULLIVAN!

Glad you enjoyed it VM.I have tried to visualize and think about what it would have been like
to have been there and gone thru what so many of those brave people did back then...it's
thought provoking !

On 2011-09-19 20:42, 1961surf wrote:
Glad you enjoyed it VM.I have tried to visualize and think about what it would have been like
to have been there and gone thru what so many of those brave people did back then...it's
thought provoking !

ABSOLUTELY!!! Was there any more footage that you are planning on sharing in the future?

Not at the moment VM , however I receive interesting footage from time to time ,
and find footage once in awhile that's worth posting .

I would like to hear more thoughts from all of you after viewing this video .

M

If I had a suitable projector I'd scoop all the old film of Hawaii that's sold on ebay. No telling what gold is found in the frames of these deteriorating reels, even just the normal stuff is great from a reference pov and seeing people/places that are long gone, along with most of the Aloha that was so prevelant back then. It was a different and often glorious time, and it was the incredible people that made it so.

Very nice, thanks for sharing. Wait, people used to celebrate
without burning cars and breaking store windows?

Amazing footage! Thanks for sharing!

T

Wow, gave me goose bumps!

That's a super cool movie. I love watching how things really were rather than always the slick Hollywood stuff we see on TV or at the movies. This was on such a special day and genuine emotions were shown, this is a real treat to view.

W

That's an amazing video, and as a Sailor it makes me happy to see so many in it as well.

Today Dec 7th 2011 - marks the 70th anniversary of Pearl Harbor attack !

On this day, December 7th, let's all drink a toast to the brave American (and Allied) soldiers who fought for us in the Pacific between 1941 & 1945. They deserve our thanks.

M

Here's the newly found and just released Daughtry footage showing heavy action in the heat of battle during the second wave of the Japanese attack. It's a Gvmt. copy of what was quickly confiscated and in poor condition, yet the stunning scenes conveys much of the infamous moment's intensity http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeLWNadsQpE

It never gets old going back and watching this video once in awhile !

In tribute to our service men and upcoming Memorial day weekend .

HT

Thanks Phil, great reference of the 97 year woman. See you in Hawaii this summer.

Had to look at this again on Veterans day .My Dad is my hero and served in the Navy for four years.

Pages: 1 34 replies