Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Mai-Kai Calendar Girls Website

Pages: 1 21 replies

S
Swanky posted on Mon, Sep 5, 2011 3:49 PM

I started this before Oasis and took some time to day to get the 1963 page done.

Mai-Kai Calendar Girls

I will be adding pages of all my calendar as I find time. If you want to help me by sharing your calendars, please do! I'd like to have them all online. What I currently need are:

Before 1963?
After 1980?

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs coming Winter 2011!

[ Edited by: swanky 2011-09-08 07:00 ]

[ Edited by: Swanky 2013-12-07 10:55 ]

Swanky,

Great project, thanks for putting in the time to post these.

DC

Great job Swank!
This really needed to be done.

T

Swanky,

Thank you for such a visually pleasurable tour back into Mai-Kai history! A project worthy of our pre-eminent Mai-Kai scholar!

-Tom

Way to go, Tim. Couldn't have said it better than Tiki Tom D already did. Looking forward to more eye candy!

S
Swanky posted on Thu, Sep 8, 2011 7:01 AM

1964 is done.

I had these already scanned, so it was a quick job for these pages. May slow down from here.

S

1966 is done.

Posting these calendars has already lead me to 3 former Molokai girls who I am interviewing and look forward to meeting! Dee, Ellen and Angel.

G
GROG posted on Tue, Sep 20, 2011 7:55 AM

Bless you, Swanky.

S

Make that 4. Diane too!

G

The Oct '66 image... interesting photo. I'd be curious to know where it was taken. PNG masks are not plentiful at the Mai-Kai today. You'd think those would have been indoors and protected and possibly still around. Maybe they are tucked into a nook or diorama that I can't recall right now.

G

And the '66 inside cover image just screams BARNEY WEST, of course. Sorry for focusing on the tikis. The girls are nice and all, but for most of them (certainly not all) it was probably a nice job while they worked their way through college. Is it insensitive to say that it's the lost and fallen tiki idols I'm really interested in? I'm genuinely interested in the people of the day, but the hunks of wood always distract me.

"Hi, nice to meet you! So you were a Molokai server in the 60s? I'll bet you have a million stories to... What is that over there?? No, over there! I've never noticed that before!"

:wink:

S

Yes, I really wonder where those massive Barney Wests went...

As for the masks, there is one of those I recognize as being in the Mai-Kai today. It is a pretty rare PNG mask that is in the back room on the garden side. I always point it out on my Mai-Kai Walking Tour. The others look more like OA type of stuff that may have been custom painted or something. Too new and nice looking. They may have migrated outside. One looks like a piece that is outside the windows in Molokai now, but heavily faded.

I would think most of what you see is still around though. It was before 77 when the Thornton Oceanic Arts collection was donated to Stanford.

S
S
MH

I missed out on the 1973 calendar that was listed on ebay... :(

Love these! Thanks for putting them up!

On 2011-09-21 15:50, GatorRob wrote:
The Oct '66 image... interesting photo. I'd be curious to know where it was taken. PNG masks are not plentiful at the Mai-Kai today. You'd think those would have been indoors and protected and possibly still around. Maybe they are tucked into a nook or diorama that I can't recall right now.

This one?

The mask directly behind her head, and the one behind her hands, were both recently 'recreated' in concrete by WPlugger. I say recently, it was three or so years ago. The mask behind her hands is right outside the doors as you step out to the Gardens. The mask behind her head is in two different places in the outside gardens.

The small white mask next to her shoulders is (was) in one of the dioramas in the Main dining room. There is a concrete copy of it outside of the rain windows of the Molokai making it hard to spot unless you're really looking for it.

S
G
GROG posted on Wed, Feb 13, 2013 6:53 PM

Bless you Swanky.

Grog is wise, Swanky should be blessed for his Mai Kai philanthropy.

Pope Swanky?

DC

S

Nice! The Tiki-detail in the Al Kocab drawings is particularly good, I count three different Tiki table lamps - and I can make out a Derby Daiquiri glass! I wonder if these drawing were made from photographs, and if so, where are those photographs? But then again, Kocab must have been so familiar with the place, he probably could draw every inch of it in his sleep :)

And it looks like they reused some pics from the session for the 1967 Calendar, at least in the case of Carol:

S
Swanky posted on Mon, Dec 9, 2013 8:08 AM

On 2013-12-09 07:15, bigbrotiki wrote:
Nice! The Tiki-detail in the Al Kocab drawings is particularly good, I count three different Tiki table lamps - and I can make out a Derby Daiquiri glass! I wonder if these drawing were made from photographs, and if so, where are those photographs? But then again, Kocab must have been so familiar with the place, he probably could draw every inch of it in his sleep :)

And it looks like they reused some pics from the session for the 1967 Calendar, at least in the case of Carol:

BTW, I have talked to Carol. She was on the Tonight Show twice as Mystery Girl and was very close with Johnny Carson. Also a Ford Model, etc. Wonderful lady. I hope to meet her and get some images one of these days.

Al Kocab designed those table lamps, but the detail makes me think that on some level it is a photo base. If there is an actual photo with that Molokai Girl pouring the Kona Coffee Grog, I'd love to see it!

Pages: 1 21 replies