Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Is there any interest in me resurrecting the Tiki Crawl?

Pages: 1 2 53 replies

MT

Okay, Tiki Peeps, after much thought, consideration, and deliberation, I am thinking about reviving the Tiki Central San Francisco Bay Area Tiki Crawl. That is, if there is enough interest from you guys, because - frankly - it's a lot of work to plan out, and this year I'll pretty much be doing it all on my own.

If this happens, it will be sometime in October or November, before Thanksgiving Weekend. And if all goes well, then I will pick a permanent date for the Tiki Crawl, most likely in early to mid October, for consistency's sake. Plus, we usually have great weather in the San Francisco Bay Area during that time of year, our "Indian Summer".

I'm fairly certain that there will be lots of questions and comments, and I want to hear them. I'm sure the first question everyone has is "Will there be a bus?" If there is enough interest in the Tiki Crawl, and if there is enough interest in having a bus for one or more days, then yes, there will be a bus.

I'm also fairly certain that the next question will be "Will there be bands at the various Tiki Bars?" Well, the answer to that as of right now is probably not. Due to the economy, I've been feeling the economic squeeze, just like many of you out there have as well. And those of you that have ever put an event together already know that others want to (and some or most of them) actually profit off of your event at your expense and effort - it seems like the event organizer is the one that bears all the financial burden and responsibility while getting very little reward, or even going into the hole. I have no financial backing to put on the Tiki Crawl, and have little funds of my own as of now to invest in an event that will most likely not break even. So unless some bands want to generously play for free, or unless some generous benefactor wants to cover the cost of those bands, then there will most likely be no bands on this year's Tiki Crawl.

Speaking of generous benefactors, I would entertain the idea of having an investor or sponsor(s) that would help cover various costs of the Tiki Crawl. And they would have to be a SILENT investor. :D That means that they pretty much have no say in the planning and layout of the Tiki Crawl. That means that even if they or their best friend are a bartender at Elixer, Alembic, Gitane, Rickhouse, Rye, Bourbon and Branch, Flora, Mua, etc., or is the owner of the Hotsy Totsy Club, or works at a cool lowbrow art gallery, or has a really cool home bar, they will be able to accept the fact without question or debate that those places will not be on the Tiki Crawl. I don't want to speak for others, but I feel comfortable enough in saying that Hanford and I, along with others that have been seriously involved in the Tiki Crawl in the past - such as Mig and Martin - have a vision of what the Tiki Crawl should be, which is an event that benefits all of these cool tiki bars in the San Francisco Bay Area. And while those other bars are great bars, they simply aren't tiki bars - it's strange that I'd have to say that, but I have to say it again and again in virtually every conversation I have about the Tiki Crawl, so here it is in writing. :) Also, a potential silent investor would also have to accept the fact that the Tiki Crawl is a break even deal at best, so they won't be getting a return on their investment, let alone their investment. They will get glorious praise and accolades from me, and the unending gratitude from all of the Tiki Crawl attendees, too. Anyone interested in helping to silently finance the Tiki Crawl should contact me through PM or e-mail.

That being said, I do have an itinerary all mapped out, for the Tiki Crawl that was supposed to happen in 2010, until Trader Vic's Emeryville temporarily closed for remodeling. To be honest, that kind of threw the entire Tiki Crawl into a tail spin. And even though that location reopened a few months later, there was so much speculation about when they would actually make their target reopening date, and whether or not inspectors would green light or delay them, and if their liquor license would be up and running, etc., that it was too risky and then there wasn't enough time to plan an event like the Tiki Crawl based on uncertain contingencies. But I do have an itinerary, and it WAS a doozy - a Tiki Crawl Extravaganza to celebrate the 10th year of Tiki Central and the Tiki Crawl. Obviously I'm going to have to scale things back, and fine tuning and tweak the schedule a little because, well, a couple places have closed or burned down in the past year or so. But the basics are already pretty much all mapped out.

So, who's interested in the San Francisco Bay Area Tiki Crawl? Please post your comments here, both good and bad, both pros and cons, because I'd definitely like some feedback and input. Cheers,
-Mai Tai

I am interested in crawling as long as there is not a scheduling conflict with the other CA tiki events currently scheduled for the 1st two weekends of Oct and Nov, but I know you know about those already. Thanks Mai Tai!

RR

I'm sure EVERYONE would like to see the return of the TIKI CRAWL no question about it. I agree with Tikitastic that October is booked up. I think November would be better. If the event has to be scaled down, so be it(No bus, no bands)
People may have to volunteer to be drivers. I will drive for the East Bay Day. Bring it on...........

BV

No one needs to be a martyr here. If it's too stressful, why not pass it on to others to accomplish? Why not have a group of people organize it? If you have a bus then try to have folks reserve their spot by paying in advance? If there is not enough, then cancel the bus and give folks their money back. With an organizing group you can divide up the responsibilities. It could, for example, be someone's job; booking and dealing with the bus. I don't think the "silent Partner" idea is any fun. Why would anyone contribute in this fun event and then have no say in what happens? Those folks could be part of the group putting on the event. Also, the bars and restaurants will love the crowd and will help make the event happen if they are given the chance. Divide and conquer! Its about everyone having fun and everyone getting equal kuddos for a job well done.

J
JOHN-O posted on Thu, Sep 8, 2011 3:29 PM

On 2011-09-08 14:52, Big Vic wrote:
No one needs to be a martyr here. If it's too stressful, why not pass it on to others to accomplish? Why not have a group of people organize it?...

Excellent !! That's the Tiki spirit.

Big Vic, what task can Mai Tai assign to YOU ?? :D

BV

I'll be glad to do those small task things. (i.e.: remind people to finish their drink because the bus will be leaving in 20 minutes, make name tags etc) ) I'm talking about creating an informal organization to throw the event every year!

I'm very definitely for the Crawl Redux...as long as it doesn't conflict with some of the events that many of us norcal and socal folks already have on our schedules... Some of us have already bought tickets for the Tikiyaki Show at Don's and Going Primitive...

There are so many things coming up that I've lost track...aren't the last two weekends in October still open?

I will be there at least one night (and will provide the organizer with several Tiki Tacos).

MT

No one is being a martyr here. :wink: It's just that I hear from a lot of people, including people in Vic's and my close circle of friends, that they don't necessarily like the Tiki Crawl, or that they think it's stale, or that they'd rather go to places like Alembic and Bourbon & Branch where they can get a "good" drink instead of the stuff served at some of those tiki bars on the crawl, or that they think Trad'r Sams, the Tonga Room, and a couple of other places should be removed from the Tiki Crawl due to poor drinks and surly service, and the list goes on... So I'm mainly posting this to see if a majority of the people feel like "Oh, same old Tiki Crawl, I'll pass", or if there is still genuine interest.

And I have no problem shouldering the responsibility of organizing the Tiki Crawl. I've worked on, or have organized, several crawls by now, so I kind of have everything down to a science for the most part. Some things take more time and effort than others, and some things I cannot due by myself (like needing "cat herders" to notify everyone to close out their tabs, then help herd them onto the bus in a timely fashion). In fact, I was forewarned by Martin when I first got involved in helping organize the Tiki Crawl that it's a lot of work, a lot that even Hanford doesn't realize, and it's pretty much a thankless job. And I'm totally cool with that - I enjoy putting something together that other people really enjoy, and sometimes their smiling faces are all the reward needed.

But if no one really wants to attend, and thinks it's just the "same old crawl", then I'd rather know that before I start doing all of the work to put this thing together. Maybe some old timers feel like they've been there, done that, but just like Tiki Oasis, there might be an overwhelming number of new peeps that want to experience the Tiki Crawl for the first time as well.

As for the silent investor(s), I'd prefer an investor to be silent, because Hanford and I have a really good idea of how we want the Tiki Crawl to be. And sometimes too many cooks can spoil the soup. When it was Hanford, Martin, and me organizing the Tiki Crawl, we were pretty much on EXACTLY the same page on how we wanted things done, but we still had minor squabbles and arguments, and I don't see that process becoming any easier taking on someone new in the organization process, especially when I pretty much have the itinerary all mapped out. So I think for the sake of my own piece of mind, I'd rather the investor be either be silent, or non-existent. :wink:

Lastly, I most definitely will not schedule the Tiki Crawl where it would interfere with any other upcoming events. I want to go to those events, too! Let's see, we have the South Bay Home Bar Crawl on the first weekend of October, and we have Tikiyaki at Don The BeachComber on November 5th. What other events are coming up, either up here in NorCal, or down in SoCal, or elsewhere? Let me know. Cheers,
-Mai Tai
P.S. - Tiki Tacos RULE!!!

I'd definitely like to go (I've wanted to go for a few years now, but have always missed it). Only thing is my first child is due on November 6th... gonna have to play that one by ear. Probably ain't gonna happen for me.

I agree with Mai Tai - the Tiki Crawl should only include actual tiki bars... although some of our Bay Area classic Tiki bars aren't up to snuff with their drinks, their history is reason enough to visit.

-Trad'r Bill

The NorCal and SoCal tiki events I know for October and November are:

• South Sf Bay Area Home Bar Crawl - October 1st
  • Sacramento Home Bar Crawl - weekend of October 8th
  • Goin' Primitive - October 14 - 16th
  • Tikiyaki @ Don's - November 5th
  • Tiki Farm's Big Ol' Tiki Bash 3 - November 12th

And, I agree that the Tiki Crawl should be only Tiki Bars...good or bad drinks don't matter -- it is called the TIKI crawl! If some one wants a classic cocktail then they should join one of the monthly SF Classic Cocktail Crawls aka Paul Crawl host by Paul "The Rum Runner" Cramer.

BV

And, I agree that the Tiki Crawl should be only Tiki Bars...good or bad drinks don't matter -- it is called the TIKI crawl! If some one wants a classic cocktail then they should join one of the monthly SF Classic Cocktail Crawls aka Paul Crawl host by Paul "The Rum Runner" Cramer.

I 3rd that! There is way more to tiki then drinks. How could you not include the Tonga Room? It's historical, classic and - in my case- a family tradition. I have photos of my mom and aunts , in there big 70's hair do's, at the tonga room. I go to tiki events for the atmosphere thats created by the virtue of being in these places. I love sharing it with family and friends! I'll have a beer if I have to. As long as I get to laugh and joke with friends.

I'd love to do this thing since I've never been. There's no crying in TIKI! (you can always bring a flask of Zacapa if the drink is rather, meh!)

The Nor Cal Crawl is probably my favorite event out there. So many great tiki bars and just the right amount of people. I've been missing it.

I would love another crawl, Mai Tai. I go to most of the bars on the crawl absent the crawl, but I'm always up for supporting local bars who keep the Tiki flame alive. Even if that means overly syrupy drinks and a surly reception by staff.

On 2011-09-08 23:38, Tikitastic wrote:

Well said Tikitastic.

O
Otto posted on Fri, Sep 16, 2011 4:36 PM

Yes

I have never been either...and ditto on what Mark said. I suggest making it a low key event...no frills...unless you have volunteers. Basically there is a map/agenda...get there yourself...experience the SF Tiki bars with Ohana...no cost to any event hosts. Use this year to survey the attendees for ideas for next year. Have a white elephant event for grins. CHEERS

After a long hibernation I am rediscovering my inner tiki. I would haul my antlers down from Portland for a SF Tiki Crawl. Seriously I'd come down for this. Thanks for considering.

M

I know you started this thread out a month ago, but one months notice is a little short. October is now here-and November is rapidly approaching. Maybe plan for early January? If someone thinks this concept is 'stale'-and you don't have the means to freshen it up, that person doesn't have to go! Don't worry, has someone ever held a major tiki crawl in which no one showed up-ain't gonna happen!

BB

I say the crawl must go on but like Mr. Smiley says do it quickly. I'd also cram in two more Tiki Central crawls into 2012 so the crawl count is back to where to should be.

B

I agree....and please do it before the end of the world next December!

MT

I'm thinking about Thurs November 17 through Sunday November 20, the weekend before Thanksgiving, just pulling the trigger on that date and gettin' it done. There aren't any other events that would conflict with that weekend, are there? Especially any major events? Now that Birthday Debauchery Meltdown Week is over (it actually grew into almost two full weeks this year, when Poly Pop came up for the Forbidden Parking Lot Sale, and various Tiki Shenanigans soon ensued), I'm now ready to knock this Tiki Crawl thing out. Oh, after Thee Swank Bastards show at The Condor in North Beach today, that is - oops! :D

On 2011-10-02 13:04, Bora Boris wrote:
I'd also cram in two more Tiki Central crawls into 2012 so the crawl count is back to where to should be.

My thoughts (and hopefully, actions) on that as well! Details on that to follow!

MT

Just to re-iterate, and make sure the important stuff in my post above doesn't get lost, I'm thinking about Thurs November 17 through Sunday November 20, the weekend before Thanksgiving, as dates for the San Francisco Bay Area Tiki Crawl X - just pulling the trigger on that date and gettin' it done. There aren't any other events that would conflict with that weekend, are there? Especially any major events?

Looks like I'd better get back to making more panels for my olde home tiki bar, stat. Oh, and a rain window effect, too! :wink:

UB

On 2011-10-02 14:29, bongofury wrote:
I agree....and please do it before the end of the world next December!

I hear there's gonna be a crawl.
Still lookin' for tickets.

Crawl For The End Of The World tickets here. Get your tickets here.

Mai Tai-
Stale or not, I think I'm in.

Forbidden Island, Smugglers Cove, Tonga Room, etc.

Seriously.

We should all be so stale.

K
Kila posted on Sun, Oct 16, 2011 7:07 AM

My crew of castaways is totally looking forward to doing the East Bay crawl again!

OOF!

T

Aloha Bill.... count us in! Our 2 cents from Martinez thinks a bus would be kinda fun! any idea of a price range?

[ Edited by: TikiTnT 2011-10-19 14:09 ]

So, is it actually happening? My calendar is filling up fast...

J

Well ??.....

Absolutely. Milly and I have missed the Crawl and would love to se it return.

C

I'll be there.

TK

Count me in whenever the next one gets planned.

???

Z

Got THAT right, Boris.......What's going on?

MT

Okay, plans are in the works for an upcoming San Francisco Bay Area Tiki Crawl 2012, at the end of summer. One of the potential dates that I'm targeting right now is Thursday September 27th through Sunday September 30th - this would mean that the last day of the Tiki Crawl would be the Forbidden Island Parking Lot Sale! So there would be twice as many reasons to come up to the San Francisco Bay Area on that weekend, both the Tiki Crawl AND the Forbidden Island Parking Lot Sale! This date isn't 100% set in stone yet, but I have talked to Molokai Mike about it, and we are thinking about the best way to make all of that work.

Another monkey wrench thrown into this whole Tiki Crawl thing is Trader Vic's Palo Alto closing. If it closes before the Tiki Crawl, then there will be virtually no tiki establishments left in the South Bay to crawl to. And Hula's in Santa Cruz is too far - that would have to be a part of a Monterey Bay based Tiki Crawl. If I have to scrap the South Bay day, then I'm going to have to replace it with something else. Maybe a Home Tiki Bar Crawl in the greater Alameda and East Bay area? Thoughts? Suggestions?

Trader Vic's Palo Alto will be closed by then. The last day Trader Vic's Palo Alto will be open for business is August 5th.

On 2012-06-23 23:54, Tikitastic wrote:
Trader Vic's Palo Alto will be closed by then. The last day Trader Vic's Palo Alto will be open for business is August 5th.

Seems like it's perfect timing for Tikitastic to open his own Tiki Bar in Los Gatos! ( just think of the gas you would save!:)

I think I wanna go!! I probably be interested in vending at FI if it is possible. I got a lot of Tiki Mugs to sell.

Would love to join in too.

Also - You can add Tiki Haven http://www.tikihavensf.com 1334 Noriega St San Francisco. Nice folks there.

More of your "island style" tiki bar, but if you give the bartender some mixing tips, she'll leave out the syrups.

MA

Aloha. I'd love to attend this event. Is it happening? Please advise. Mahalo.

Yes, please. The last sf bay area tiki crawl was a blast and that's how I found out about Tiki Oasis.

Shall we get this started? Am I missing any worth going to?

SAN FRANCISCO

1. Smuggler's Cove MUST!
  2. Tonga Room & Hurricane Bar MUST! (even though the drinks are terrible)
  3. Bamboo Hut
  4. Tiki Haven *This place is party-store cheesy but I think with encouragement they might improve.
  5. Li Po Cocktail Lounge
  6. Trad'r Sam

EAST BAY
7) Forbidden Island Tiki Lounge (Alameda) MUST!
8) Trader Vic’s Restaurant (Emeryville) MUST!
9) Conga Lounge (Oakland)
10) Kona Club (Oakland)

PENINSULA
11) The Downtown Tiki Lounge Also cheesy, but they may be the only thing between SF and Hula's in Santa Cruz.

Buz - that looks like the right list all right.

I'm really jonesing for another Bay-area crawl. I miss the rainstorm at the Tonga Room and I miss running across the street from the Bamboo Hut to grab a few slices of pizza.

I thought I was slow, but you definitely got me beat :)

MT

Okay, I'm back home from the madness of Purple Orchid - Insect Surfers - The Starting Gate - Surf Guitar 101 - Los Venturas - El Ray - Katella Deli - The Doll Hut - The Disasternauts - Slacktone - Huntington Pier - Duke's - The Exotics - Soccer Tiki Grotto - Joyride - Gasoline Alley - Don The Beachcomber - The Tilted Kilt (that's right, we took Coco Loco to The Tilted Kilt!) - California Adventure - Cars Land - Radiator Springs Racers - Tow Mater's Junkyard Jamboree - Disneyland - Blue Bayou - Pirates Of The Caribbean - Haunted Mansion - Jungle Cruise - Enchanted Tiki Room - Trader Sam's - Soarin' Over California - World Of Color - An additional full day of Disneyland - Oceanside - The Inferno - San Diego - Tiki Oasis Staff Meeting - Bali Hai - Tikiyaki Orchestra - Eric October's Tapa Stamp Making class - Martin Cate's Rum Seminar - Tiki Oasis skit practice and voice over recordings - Tiki Oasis Main Stage performance as SOBER Chief - Dismal turnout at Hobo Camp Cookout - The Exotics in Tonga Hut Suite Party - Jason Lee's Surf Guitar seminar - Tiki Oasis Car Show - The Exotics mainstage - The Lampshades - Martini Kings in Tonga Hut Room Suite Party - Thee Swank Bastards Room Suite Party - The Love Me Nots Room Suite Party - Los Seafinks - Drinking from The Hoof - Burlesque Revue - Swimming poolside with Dina, Hukilau Brown, Dr. Shocker, and Will until dawn - waffles with Sir Waffle-Lot - wind down time and pizza at the pool with JonPaul and Marie - having my schwag stolen poolside as I swam nearby - last call mixers party poolside - more waffles with Sir Waffle-Lot - the long drive home - stopping for lunch at Trader Sam's - passing out drunk co-pilot style in the passenger seat until Harris Ranch - dropping my brother in law off in Half Moon Bay - sleeping for 20 hours straight once I got home, and a couple hundred other things that I crammed in and have now forgotten. So now that I'm home, and semi-rested, it's time to piece together the Tiki Crawl!

Stay tuned for more info later this evening, after I get back from the unofficial Tiki Oasis wind down party at Trader Vic's. (Hey, it's a rough life, but SOMEBODY's gotta do it, right?) :wink:

Bill,

I like the way you roll brutha.

My list doesn't look the same, but I ran 17 days/nights in a row, with one day off in the middle, but being Pre SG101 convention, I was running around getting amps n drums for the Los Venturas and El Ray to use at the bar gigs.

Good luck with the crawl, I'd love to come up,
but I think I have to save up for something next June.
:wink:

Jeff(btd)

Pages: 1 2 53 replies