Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Your Favorite Dark Rum

Pages: 1 10 replies

R
Rawim posted on Tue, Sep 13, 2011 8:15 AM

When I began my grand Tiki Odyssey the only real dark rum I knew about was Meyers. As that was the one bottle I saw in my local supermarket and the most common dark rum I saw behind most bars.

I was then introduced to Coruba and have made that my go to dark rum for the last few years. But I wonder if I am missing out on any hidden treasures.

Walking the aisles of the local Bevmo I see the likes of Whalers, Trader Vic’s, and a few others.

Are there other good dark rums out there?

And if there are what is/are your favorite(s)?

-Rawim

I never see Coruba out East here.

but, I like Gosling's Black Seal and Cruzan Blackstrap for mixing. (inexpensive, but tasty).

my favorite pricy dark rum for sipping is Ron Pampero.

L

My go-to dark rum is Appleton Estate Extra.

http://rumdood.com/2009/03/26/rum-review-appleton-estate-extra/

I really believe that the dark rum classification needs to be refined. Whenever, I hear "dark rum" I think of the heavy bodied Jamaican rums (or similar) such as Myers's or Coruba (my preferred btw). I don't think of amber colored aged rums such as the Appleton Estate. Although the later are considered "dark" by many.

The drink usually dictates what I use. I will use Coruba in a drink with lots of different fruit juices but Appleton v/x or estate (if it's still in my cabinet)for instance in drier drinks such as the mai tai, swizzles, grogs.

D

I occasionally drink Black Seal. But mostly I use Appleton Estate Extra. I've been meaning to get some Coruba -- have never tried it.

S

On 2011-09-13 10:23, jingleheimerschmidt wrote:
I really believe that the dark rum classification needs to be refined. Whenever, I hear "dark rum" I think of the heavy bodied Jamaican rums (or similar) such as Myers's or Coruba (my preferred btw). I don't think of amber colored aged rums such as the Appleton Estate. Although the later are considered "dark" by many.

Completely agree with this. I've only ever bought one bottles of Myers, as it's not easy to find and also twice the price of Coruba here. I also wasn't that impressed with it. I'd like to try it again though as it was a few years ago now that i first had it and my opinion might have changed.

As for Appletons, i also find it strange that it is generally considered a dark rum. I wouldn't say it is any 'darker' than any other fine sipping rums that are out there, El Dorado, Ron Zacapa, English Harbour, etc.

And to answer the question, i just see rums as white or aged and usually always try to have something different when i'm out that i haven't had before. When i drink at home it's whatever i could afford and just what i felt like buying at the time. Whilst there are certain rums that i really love, i wouldn't say i have a 'favourite'. They all taste different and that's what makes rum such a great spirit.

Is rum, is good.

[ Edited by: swizzle 2011-09-14 02:29 ]

[ Edited by: swizzle 2011-09-14 02:30 ]

Generally I go with Appleton Estates Extra(12), Eldorado 12 year old and Coruba. Saint James Hors D'Age in combination with the Appleton (12)for my Mai Tais.

I too think "dark" needs to be redefined. Appleton Estate Extra and Meyers's Dark are in difference categories as far as I'm concerned. Last night I made a Hawaiian Mai Tai with Appleton and it was the wrong color (I normally use Meyers's). That said, I generally go with what the Bum recommends, and his books (and iPhone app)imply Appleton Estate V/X or Reserve, Meyers's Dark, Coruba and Appleton Estate Extra are interchangeable. Meyer's is 31.99/1.75 liter bottle at BevMo, so at $0.54/oz, that works well on both my palate and my wallet.

G

On 2011-09-13 10:23, jingleheimerschmidt wrote:
I will use Coruba in a drink with lots of different fruit juices but Appleton v/x or estate (if it's still in my cabinet)for instance in drier drinks such as the mai tai, swizzles, grogs.

Right on brother. Exactly my philosophy. I think the general population is more or less scared of dark rums. Coruba doesn't sell so well here (Florida) and so is getting very difficult to find.

Smith & Cross makes an excellent mix with dark rums, for what it's worth.

C

Try Appleton Estate 12 yr aged rum and also El Dorado 12 yr aged rum.. Bevmo will gladly order both for you if it's not in stock..

There's a great dark rum from Newfoundland called Screech. Its flavor is quite similar to Coruba Dark. Another good one is the Rogue Brewery's rum that's tough to find but worth the hassle.

Pages: 1 10 replies