Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

My home bar - more teak than tiki so far - but working on it!

Pages: 1 11 replies

Hi guys!

Hope its ok to post this here - i'm very aware of the white walls - but rent unfortunately, so trying to have the most fun i can with the space available to me! Heres what i've got going on so far (some pics in the day and at night) - hope you approve!

Because of lack of space my mugs are tucked away in the bar - though very much in use! I know the thing that's most glaringly lacking at the moment is a tiki. Recently i missed out on ebay on this amazing Sepik ancestor. Can't actually believe i missed the end of the bid - still kicking myself - especially as the little fella went for about $50! So I'm holding out for something that i love as much as him for the moment!

You've got a great start...love your bar. It is hard building when you rent...so movable shelving might work out well for you. Good luck on your Tiki search!!!

L
Luki posted on Sat, Sep 24, 2011 8:30 PM

And that ottoman rocks...is that new or vintage?

This is cool!!! I like the vintage appeal. Im in your shoes too. I pay rent so i cant go crazy with bamboo and stuff on the walls. I just hung a bunch of tiki and kustom kulture art. If you want, check out my post of my tiki room and bar. Its just a couple of posts down from yours. Overall, I like the way your headed with the tiki room :).

Looks like a cool space to relax and have a drink.

That bar is classic!

P

The bar with lights on seems better I think.

Hi guys,

Thanks very much for the words of encouragement!

VampiressRN - funny you should say that - I've been looking into finding some round wall bamboo shelving with a deco feel. not a lot of luck so far (its slightly more difficult to find the tiki look in the UK) but i'm still working on it! Glad you like the bar. :)

Luki - thank you! - the ottoman (-also bar and Pineapple ice bucket) are vintage 50s. You can find the ottoman in the UK on ebay quite easily at a relatively cheap price although maybe not so much after shipping of course.. I think originally they were sold as sewing boxes - so they have a handy storage compartment too! I am tempted to re-cover mine as the fabric looks exactly as though one of the muppets was skinned to cover it - but again holding out for the right fabric - considering one of the melindamade fabrics at the moment for it.. Possibly 'celestial aqua' -which is this one:

I'm really wondering what decade the Tiki lights are -maybe 70s? I've never seen anything quite like them. if anyone has any info on them i'd love to hear about it -even if its to tell me they're just a cheap piece of tat! - I won't mind -the most important thing is they make me laugh whenever i see them :D

Forgotten tikiman - thanks! Although i have a wall of artwork in my living room (-which a friend has christened my 'wall of wierd'), i haven't got any Tiki art yet. Your collection is very impressive and i really like the layering of all the images in your space. As far as artwork goes I'm especially looking for a cheap way to find the Mark Ryden prints 'Exotica' and 'Pele' prints -trying to see if i can find them in any art books at the moment as they're gorgeous! The image i have up at the moment behind the bar is this one:

• not remotely Tiki but, er , i guess there's at least a nautical theme, -plus i love the semi-cubist style and the colours. He's one of my favourite illustrators called 'Shaun Tan'. However I'll be moving this print once i can get hold of a cheapo Mark Ryden print - or find a great Tiki to put in its place..

Kon-Hemsby - i have to admit our alcohol consumption has definitely increased since the inception of the bar set up, which i like to think is mainly due to the ambiance rather than just the fact that we have a lot of booze in the house now! Nice to meet a UK tiki enthusiast -your home bar rocks btw - exactly the sort of thing I hope to aim for some day!

abstractiki - thank you - so glad you like it - i am pretty in love with it. :)

Polly - totally agree. I like the area in the day too, but the lighting gives it a much more pleasant feel at night - and then even the standard lamp strangely reminds me of a weird chinoiserie palm tree..

Great painting...I love surrealism.

That fabric is great. Don't know if you subscribe to the Retro Renovation blog...but she does a nice job and just recently had info on Barkcloth resources.
http://retrorenovation.com/2011/01/15/where-to-buy-barkcloth-places/

Keep up the great work...love your style.

Also check out Sophista-Tiki's fabric collection on Spoonflower. Not sure if they ship internationally though

http://www.spoonflower.com/profiles/sophista-tiki

PS - that Shaun Tan piece reminds me of something from Pink Floyd's "The Wall" :lol: Very cool!

Be good to yourself and to the ones you love

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2011-10-01 18:58 ]

Good suggestion on Dawn's fabrics...she has her new website up.
http://www.sophista-tiki.com/

Wow thank you for all the links guys - really helpful - although they've made my decision making process a little harder now! :wink:

Glad you both like the print too - MadDogMike - totally see that comparison - i was always a fan of the artwork in those animations -this print is actually from a kids picture book called 'the rabbits'. The guy just won an Oscar for his animated short too ('The lost thing'). Talented man..

Pages: 1 11 replies