Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Grenadine!?!

Pages: 1 21 replies

I've been looking for a Good Grenadine! It ain't easy to find. Beachbum Berry mentioned several as being good in The Grog Log (in 1998?) but left all of them, except Trader Vic's, out of Intoxica (2002?). Did those cease to exist? I can get Fee's Bros. Granadine at the Liquor Store behind the office. Is Fee's Bros. not as good as it was 3 years ago?
And what about Alchoholic Grenadine? I found a bottle, this afternoon, of an alcoholic mixture that is called Grenadine! Is it worth trying?

K
Klas posted on Sat, Jun 7, 2003 2:13 AM

Although I haven't actually tried Monin's Grenadine, I'm very pleased with their passion fruit, orgeat and sugar syrups and have got the impression it's a quality brand.

From their site:

*With over 60 flavors to choose from, it is the product line of reference adopted by professionals throughout the world.

What separates Monin from the rest, is its rich and natural flavors. Monin syrups are highly concentrated and made from natural fruits, nuts, spices, water and sugar. Monin syrups do not include any fat or cholesterol.*

M

Angostura Grenadine is actually made with natural pomegrate flavor, which gives it a big leg up from the start. Try to find that- I've been using one large bottle for four years. It lasts for an eternity

Question for 3 TC members: Basement Kahuna, TheJab & JungleTrader~

I searched TC for Rose's Grenadine (and Roses Grenadine), and not much was found, but of the posts I did find you three have mentioned about NOT using Rose's(Roses) brand.

Why? Too sweet? Too thick? Doesn't mix well?

Give me your 2 coconuts worth.

As Jeff Berry put it "colored sugar water not fit for a hummingbird". It just tastes of it's own artificiality, which is okay if you are imitating a "Girls Gone Wild" episode bar scene, but hardly good for a first-class tropical drink. Angostura Grenadine contains real pomegranite juice, tastes far superior and is commonly available....in my opinion that's your better bet. I will say this...I used to barback in the late 80's at a pub called the King George and learned that if you have a bad stomach ache or indigestion that 1-part Angostura grenadine, three parts 7-up, and four shakes of Angostura bitters will put it to rest like a Goody's on a headache.

I can vouch for the quality of Monin - its Grenadine is made with real pomegrants.
I have an "artificial" grenadine that I bought before I knew anything and the difference is night and day. The artificial one is worthless.

Ran

T
thejab posted on Mon, Jun 9, 2003 1:45 PM

On 2003-06-07 23:02, SugarCaddyDaddy wrote:
Question for 3 TC members: Basement Kahuna, TheJab & JungleTrader~

I searched TC for Rose's Grenadine (and Roses Grenadine), and not much was found, but of the posts I did find you three have mentioned about NOT using Rose's(Roses) brand.

Why? Too sweet? Too thick? Doesn't mix well?

Give me your 2 coconuts worth.

I stopped using Rose's when I first got the Grog Log because Jeff Berry said the Vic's brand is superior. I have not done a taste test - I just went with Mr. Berry's advice. I would agree with Kahuna and others that real Pomegranate flavoring is preferable to artificial flavoring. Another reason is the Rose's seems less concentrated so one may need to use more of it.

I would guess that Fee Bros. makes a good one as they make other quality products I keep in my bar (orange and Peychaud's bitters). The Monin sound good as well. I have only tried Angostura which is a great value as it comes in a full-size bottle, and Trader Vic's which I buy most often as it's avilable at my local grocery (Piedmont Grocery).

M

B.K.,
I wish I could say Angostura Grenadine was easy to find. I found it once in Portland and promptly forgot where. I am now back to using Roses until I can re-find my source.

TK

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm... Looks like I'm gonna be buying more and more on the Internet. I guess, though, that it's worth paying a little extra for Shipping and Handling to get something worth a damn.

Ok, while out doing some grocery shopping at the local Albertson's in Huntington Beach, I went down the liquor aisle, and sure enough, there are about 7 bottles of 10 oz. Angostura on the shelf for $2.49. The store ran out of the family's favorite bread & shampoo, so I headed over to the other Albertson's a little ways down the road. Found the bread and found 5 more bottles of Angostura.

It must be easier to find here in SoCal.

No doubt. Also, the idea of buying liquor at Albertson's is exotic for Oregonian's. OLCC stores only for anything stronger than fortified wine.

If you can get hold of Phillips of Bristol Grenadine, give it a try. It's actually mildly alcoholic (3.5%) and has a very fine taste to it.

I swear by the stuff!

Trader Woody

[ Edited by: Trader Woody on 2004-05-07 10:42 ]

My Albertsons in Long Beach only carries Rose's.... guess I'll have to trek to Orange County....

:tiki:

Ok, ok, this isn't grenadine, but since we were speaking of Angostura, I thought I'd let you know about this:

I made teriyaki chicken tonight after seeing this. I was originally going to reach for another brand, but saw this right next to it. This sauce actually lives up to it's sidemark that says "Taste the flavor, not the salt". It was true! It was waaaaaay less salty in comparison to other brands and had a really good flavor. I used this in conjunction with McCormick Grill Mates Montreal Chicken Seasoning (Montreal Steak Seasoning was what JohnnieVelour used on those tasty burgers he made at the last gathering at his place).

Looks like Angostura is putting out some good items beyond the grenadine, huh?

Sorry for taking it off topic.

teppers bar supply in marina del rey cal has excellent grenadine, rock candy , passion fruit, coconut.....all cheap and good!. ask if they ship.

Any body having luck finding good grenadine? I thought that my Angustura would last a while, and it did, until I found a liking for Planters Punch! Now I can't find anything but Roses anywhere. I've actually used Pomagranite paste from the asian market lately to tide me over. It is 100% boiled down pomogranite juice to the point of being a thick syrup. Not bad but the color is very dark and my punch doesn't look right.

Cheers,

KT

Hey Twowheelin'

Do you recall what brands they have there? I'll be down and all around L.A. on the 15th. I could easily stop by Teppers (as long as I can find it) and pick up some supplies. Do they have Fallernum too?

-T.J.

Figured I'd pipe in and say that the Fee Brothers' Grenadine I can get at the Liquor Store behind my office is Marvelous! Be careful, though, as those Fee Brothers make two different grades. Only buy the Fee Brothers' American Beauty, wich is their premium brand.

I haven't seen the Angostura around here but know that it is more prevalent on the coast (about 200 miles away).

D

i noticed fresh pomagranate juice at the grocery store ~ its called POM.

a quick search for homemade grenadine calls for 1 cup sugar and 1 cup pomagranate juice, boiled till thickened, store in the refrigerator.

http://www.pomwonderful.com/

I stopped by the Wine & Liquor Depot to pick up some supplies today, namely the Fee Brothers Orange Bitters that I needed. I asked them if they could please order some Fee Brothers Grenadine for me. He said that he would next time he placed an order, if he remembered and he took my phone number. I hope that he does it.

By the way I did pick a bottle of Trader Vic's Mai Tai rum to try. The just started carrying it.

Wine & Liquor Depot
16938 Saticoy St, Van Nuys, CA 91406
Phone: (818) 996-1414

Cheers,

KT

On 2003-06-10 11:50, mrtikibar wrote:
No doubt. Also, the idea of buying liquor at Albertson's is exotic for Oregonian's. OLCC stores only for anything stronger than fortified wine.

I'm down in Eugene and my local WinCo carries Angostura, next to the club soda. I think you have one up in Beverton so that might be worth a shot.

[ Edited by: sporkboyofjustice on 2004-05-07 13:32 ]

Pages: 1 21 replies