Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

(TV) Pan Am lost Magic City gained

Pages: 1 19 replies

http://beta.abc.go.com/shows/pan-am/photos
http://abc.go.com/watch/pan-am/SH55126544?CID=google_sem_1

I have high hopes for the new ABC Pan Am TV show. The premier was last night and at this time it is scheduled for Sundays 10pm/PST.

Pan Am is a television series centered around the iconic airline Pan American World Airways during the 1960s. The period drama, from writer Jack Orman (ER) and director Thomas Schlamme (The West Wing), focuses on the pilots and flight attendants working for the world-famous airline in 1963.

The series, produced by Sony Pictures Television, was picked up by ABC in May 2011 for the 2011–2012 television season. Sony licensed the rights to the Pan Am name and logo from Pan Am Systems, a New Hampshire-based railroad company that acquired the Pan Am brand in 1998.

Starring: Christina Ricci, Kelli Garner, Michael Mosley, Mike Vogel, Karine Vanasse, Margot Robbie  

I found it to have a wonderful intriguing plot against a delightful retro background. Great costuming, hair, sets and props. Anyone else enjoy the show?

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

We lost Pan Am, but we gained Magic City...although the loss was sad, the new show about 50/60's Florida is great!!!

"Oh waiter, another cocktail please!!!"

[ Edited by: VampiressRN 2012-05-25 07:50 ]

the soundtrack is good too - I noticed they played a song by tipsy, some sinatra and other rat pack era greats.... can't wait till they shoot a scene in a tiki bar during a layover.... you know it's gonna happen.

I was hoping for Mad Men on a Plane but it seems like Glee on a Plane (minus music)

Some of us already commented on the show on this thread in Beyond Tiki. I forgot to mention the music. Nice bit of escapism based in real world story lines instead of goofy fantasy crap or teen angst. In other words, TV for grown ups. Yippie!

Well, sort of grown up anyway.

Bear

One of the songs used in the pilot episode was from Julie London - that's some lounge music at its best.

Found this list on an internet search. Not sure if it's accurate or complete.

Pan Am first episode Soundtrack

Buddy Greco, "Around The World"
Odetta, "Go Down Sunshine"
Franz Joseph Haydn, "String Quartet in B Flat Minor"
The Sonics, "Keep A Knockin'"
Domencio Modugno, "Lazarella"
Bobby Darin, "Fabulous Places"
Bobby Darin, "Mack The Knife"
Julie London - Love Must Be Catchin'

I enjoyed last night's episode. I think they are doing a good job of calling out the inequality for women and the blatant sexism. Really liking the little spy intrigue that is weaved into the storyline. Still digging the retro aspect in the clothes, hairstyles and sets. Looking forward to next week.

Another new retro 60's nostalgia Mad Man era show, The Playboy Club, got cancelled. Wonder how the ratings are for Pam Am?

[->>King Bushwich 33rd

Sadly, placement of a good show in a bad time slot can kill it.

===================================================
Fast National ratings for Sunday, October 2, 2011.

As per usual, NBC dominated Sunday night with coverage of the NFL showdown between the Jets and Ravens.

Beyond that, the night's most notable ratings highlight (or lowlight) was a large Week 2 drop for ABC's "Pan Am," which still managed to hold of "CSI: Miami" among young viewers.

MB

One of the pilots, George?, shares a room with my brother in his care facility.

Did anybody notice in the episode where they go to Rangoon, one of the hostesses is offered a coconut by a street vendor but because its all filmed on a backlot, the coconut in question is ceramic coconut mug and not a real coconut.

the last episode was good, but it would have been better if the sailor was played by samuel l. jackson and snakes got loose on the flight.

Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherf_cking snakes on this motherf_cking plane! :lol:

There is talk of canceling the show...would be a bummer.

I am now holding out hope for the show MAGIC CITY...to supply my retro/art-deco fix.
http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/12/09/1964938/new-tv-show-set-in-50s-miami-beach.html

NEW TV SHOW SET IN 50'S MIAMI......MAGIC CITY  
BY Hannah Sampson

Atlantic City has HBO's Prohibition-era Boardwalk Empire. 1960's Manhattan has Mad Men on AMC. Now Miami Beach will have its own starring role in a period drama.

Magic City, a series set in a fictional Miami Beach hotel in the late 1950s -- when the Rat Pack played and Fidel Castro took power in Cuba -- got the green light this week for 10 episodes from Starz Entertainment.

Casting is set to start soon, and production will begin in 2011, though it's still unclear how much, if any, of the series will be filmed in Miami. The show is set to air on the Starz cable channel in 2012.

Writer and producer Mitch Glazer is intimately familiar with the subject matter: Growing up in Miami Beach in the 1950s and 60s, he accompanied his engineer father to work at the area's most glamorous hotels, including the Fontainebleau, Eden Roc, Deauville and Carillon.

Glazer, a 1970 Miami Beach High grad and one-time Deauville cabana boy, said he remains obsessed with the era.

``So much that ended up shaping America -- politics, pop culture, everything from civil rights to geopolitical situations -- came through the lobby of those hotels,'' he said.

Glazer said the show's hotel is inspired by the architecture of Morris Lapidus, who fashioned the Eden Roc and Fontainebleau. He said he would love to shoot the entire series in Miami, but Starz said it is in talks with several locations, including some outside the state.

``It's a love letter to the city and that would be the dream, to do it down there,'' said Glazer, who wrote several films, including Scrooged and Great Expectations.

Producers have applied for and received confirmation that they would get state incentive money to shoot the series in Florida, according to Miami-Dade film offices. Tallahassee recently increased production subsidies from about $11 million a year to about $50 million a year to draw more business to the state.

Local film officials hope this week's announcement from Starz -- which has ventured into original programming over the past few years -- signals a boom for scripted television series in Miami.

News of the Magic City order follows word just weeks ago that ABC wants to revive the Charlie's Angels series, with a pilot to be filmed in Miami next year.

With USA's drama Burn Notice shooting its fifth season next spring in Miami-Dade and A&E crime series The Glades expected to shoot its second season in Dade and Broward next year, the area is eager for more television close-ups.

Jeff Peel, head of the Miami-Dade office of film and entertainment, said having even two scripted series shooting in the region was a big deal.

``If we have four, man, this town is going to be hopping,'' he said.

Burn Notice, for example, spends about $2 million an episode -- and Peel said a period drama like Magic City would likely pump more into the economy.

``Assuming that all of this stuff actually shows up here, we're going to be bursting at the seams,'' Peel said.

If Magic City shoots in some other city, it wouldn't be a first for a Miami-themed show: CSI: Miami and Dexter both are filmed in Los Angeles.

But Graham Winick, head of the Miami Beach film office, said negotiations about the show have been positive for South Florida. He said the success of hits like Burn Notice and reality shows filmed in Miami show the popularity of the destination.

``It speaks volumes to where Miami is as a brand in television and what viewers want to see, which is Miami,'' Winick said. ``That's wonderful for us, it'll help us as we move out of the economic state we're in.''

The beach was enjoying headier times during the era when the show is set, said local historian Paul George.

``It's one of the heydays of the beach, with the Fontainebleau and the Eden Roc,'' George said. ``It was just on the world's map at that time.''

But as Frank Sinatra crooned and the wealthy gathered at the region's finest hotels, a darker side of Miami Beach existed under the glossy surface. The show will touch on drugs, strippers, gangsters, racial tension and global unrest as seen through the prism of the Miramar Hotel and its boss, Ike Evans.

``My fantasy is of it being like Rick's Café in Casablanca, where all roads lead to and through the Miramar,'' Glazer said.

Miami Herald business writer Douglas Hanks contributed to this report.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/12/09/1964938/new-tv-show-set-in-50s-miami-beach.html#ixzz1dAXyhKbD
HJ

Ain't seen it yet. Heard it was cancelled?

All good things...

Christian Post: Canceled Shows

The show was just overly underappreciated.

[->>King Bushwich 33rd on Hulu.com

On 2012-05-13 13:53, King Bushwich the 33rd wrote:
All good things...

Christian Post: Canceled Shows

The show was just overly underappreciated.

Losing Pan Am is a shame, they really did a nice job on it. In the same spirit as "we get the government we deserve," I guess we get the TV programming we deserve. Bring on more reality shows!

Certainly sad to see Pan Am cancelled, I enjoyed it.

I am now a total addict to Magic City. That same retro feel with fabulous sets, costuming and an engaging story line. Already pre-ordered my Season 1 DVDs. Anyone else watching this show?
http://www.starz.com/originals/magiccity

I'm liking Magic City a lot! I've been an Olga Kurylenko fan since her Bebe ad days so I'm in!

It's also entertaining and I love the Atlantis bar. They need to put MeduSirena Marina in that pool. Sure it's not as buttoned up detail wise or writing wise as Mad Men but I enjoy them both.

Sad to see Pan Am go, it was worth giving a second season to. Hopefully Karine Vanasse who played Colette could pop up on Mad Men, Magic City or even Hawaii Five-0! :)

Pan Am may have second season on Amazon?

Deadline: Pam Am to continue?

Pan Am online?

Thanks KB. I agree about the bar...every time I see those pool windows I think how fabulous MeduSirena would look in there...we need to start a campaign...mermaid mermaid mermaid...The Butcher already said that would be best.

Pages: 1 19 replies