Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

SkyMall Moai

Pages: 1 16 replies

For those who can't even take a six hour flight without buying a tiki...

My girlfriend sent me a clipping today from SkyMall featuring an ad for a six foot tall, 92 lb resin moai. Made by Toscano.

Toscano does really nice reproductions, I have a lot of their Egyptian items. That Moai would probably be pretty impressive in a tropical backyard.

J

hodadhank,

I have an idea on how we can leverage this thread. I see a lot of one-off "Tiki Sightings" threads being created on a regular basis. If you could change the name of this thread to...

The Tiki Sighting Thread

We could collect all of these posts in one place. Again it would be used for any one-off or inconsequential (not that I'm accusing you of this) sightings of Tiki that were not intented for in-depth or continued discussion.

To rename the thread you just edit the original post.

Does anyone else think this is a good idea?

Let's keep Tiki Central organized !! :)

I gotta get one of these.

W

$995.00 plus freight and shipping/handling.

On 2011-09-29 12:47, JOHN-O wrote:

We could collect all of these posts in one place. Again it would be used for any one-off or inconsequential (not that I'm accusing you of this) sightings of Tiki that were not intented for in-depth or continued discussion.

Does anyone else think this is a good idea?

Let's keep Tiki Central organized !! :)

No, that's a GREAT idea! Maybe the mods could merge some of the stray sighting posts into it as well.

Good call JOHN-O!

Bear

V

Ahh the wondrous photoshop creations of Tuscano in skymall. Look at that crazy drop shadow under the Moai! Don't get me wrong - I too have lusted after some of their stuff (would love the 6' sarcophagus they offer). It is just that some of their photo manipulations kill me!

On 2011-09-29 16:47, VanTiki wrote:
Look at that crazy drop shadow under the Moai!...

Is it hovering 2 inches above the ground? Henrik, how did you notice that :lol:

J

OK, I guess my idea of "one off" is garnering more interest than what I would have expected.

Shows what I know. I'll shut up now. :(

Never mind... :)

T

I saw this Moai in Skymall and I needed one for a Polynesian-themed pool project. Here's a shot of it- it's awesome and looks like stone or a harder material than plastic.

W

WOW, TikiFred that is an awesome Ahu you've got there.

No kidding Fred...that setting looks great...bet he was heavy...lol.

T

Thanks WestaDad. Oh and the Toscano catalog also has some great Tiki themed round side tables. They're also plastic but look like wood so you can leave them outside. Perfect for setting your Mai Tai on!

T

Hi VampiressRN! Love your handle btw. yeah, the Moai is about 98 pounds or so. Just heavy enough to take two guys to move into place. They did build a little masonry post that goes up inside him so he doesn't blow over in the wind.

Not nearly as impressive as Fred's yard, but I have one of the pointier-nosed smaller ones that they sell. They do look a lot heavier than they feel!

There are some older threads about the Toscano Moai & Tiki goods, but most are now missing their pictures.
One of the old Moai threads is here:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=31971&forum=12&hilite=toscano

[ Edited by: bamalamalu 2011-09-29 19:56 ]

I totally dig it, but $995.00 plus freight and shipping/handling? Seriously??? I can purchase and original hand carved, wooden tiki for that price.

[ Edited by: Vince Martini 2011-09-29 23:20 ]

On 2011-09-29 16:47, VanTiki wrote:
Ahh the wondrous photoshop creations of Tuscano in skymall. Look at that crazy drop shadow under the Moai! Don't get me wrong - I too have lusted after some of their stuff (would love the 6' sarcophagus they offer). It is just that some of their photo manipulations kill me!

Photoshop! Another Photoshop bitch slap....yes....

Pages: 1 16 replies