Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Hard back Book of Tiki

Pages: 1 13 replies

O

I have always wanted a hard cover edition of BOT but found the prices always too high. I was looking at the Amazon book sellers, quite a few above $150.00. Then I see Richard the book dealer wants $999.00 for his copy. I'd like to know what Bigbro wrote and whose BOT was this?

$150.99

• $3.99shipping

Used - Like New

Seller: t_f_bookseller
Seller Rating:96% positive. (24 total ratings)
In Stock. Ships from OH, United States. Expedited shipping available.
International & domestic shipping rates and return policy.

or
Ship to:

$167.12

• $3.99shipping

Used - Very Good

Seller: brookebooks
Seller Rating:95% positive over the past 12 months. (11,846 total ratings)
In Stock. Ships from GA, United States. Expedited shipping available.
Money Back if not happy.

or
Ship to:

$170.21

• $3.99shipping

Used - Good

Seller: quality7
Seller Rating:95% positive over the past 12 months. (296,059 total ratings)
In Stock. Ships from GA, United States.
Domestic shipping rates and return policy.
Excellent customer service. Order inquiries handled promptly.

or
Ship to:

$170.22

• $3.99shipping

Used - Like New

Seller: brookebooks
Seller Rating:95% positive over the past 12 months. (11,846 total ratings)
In Stock. Ships from GA, United States. Expedited shipping available.
Nice Book. Money Back if not happy.

or
Ship to:

$200.00

• $3.99shipping

Used - Good

Seller: worldreaders
Seller Rating:97% positive over the past 12 months. (5,469 total ratings)
In Stock. Ships from WA, United States.
Good Condition.

or
Ship to:

$203.29

• $3.99shipping

Used - Like New

Seller: any_book
Seller Rating:94% positive over the past 12 months. (583,294 total ratings)
In Stock. Ships from FL, United States. Expedited shipping available.
Huge seller with millions of transactions! Satisfaction Guaranteed.

or
Ship to:

$244.95

• $3.99shipping

Used - Like New

Seller: vana11
Seller Rating:95% positive over the past 12 months. (59,200 total ratings)
In Stock. Ships from United States.
great condition

or
Ship to:

$255.00

• $3.99shipping

Used - Like New

Seller: A_McCarthy
Seller Rating:100% positive. (2 total ratings)
In Stock. Ships from PA, United States.
Hardback, some shelf wear on corner, little scuffing on cover.

or
Ship to:

$999.00

• $3.99shipping

Used - Acceptable

Seller: Chambers Richard
Seller Rating:99% positive over the past 12 months. (404 total ratings)
In Stock.

or
Ship to:

There were cheaper copies there for a while, and there will be again. You will find that on ANY out of print books on Amazon, Alibris, or Bookfinder.com the prices will vary greatly:

Sometimes that has to do with condition, but not always. Sellers just ask for what they think they can get, and their research is not always sound. And those ridiculously high prices like 999.- bucks are obviously due to computer glitches, these vendors price and put up thousands of items, so mistakes happen.

Sven, you should be flattered. Too bad you don't get a cut of resale 'cuz cash is the best compliment :D

I would be, but it's all a question of supply and demand statistics: a while ago I was looking for a fairly recent, small softcover How-To book on how to fix old wooden windows that had retailed for under 20 bucks, but because it had a small printing and no re-print, it now was like 275.- bucks and up. Not a realistic value assessment, just computer generated guestimates.

M

I found my hardcover copy of BOT after running a search on eBay for about three months. I finally found a mint 'Buy It Now' copy for under $40 shipped and jumped on it immediately. They're out there, but you just have to be patient.

So true...I have been tracking a Campaign Furniture book for months on Amazon. Initially showing @ $500...then it went past $550 with no used options available. Just got it the other day used/good condition for $200. You have to check daily...put it on a wish list...that helps too.

I feel blessed to have a hard copy of BOT...got it years ago at Pottery Barn before I even knew about this message board and the genre following. :wink:

The paper back version "used" starts at $56 now on Amazon, I searched for two years
for the hard copy myself, But had to settle for a new soft cover copy awhile back.

I had found a couple of sellers in the past and ordered it just to have my orders canceled
due to no stock.

A

Should I mention Abe? Secondhand booksellers all over the world, searchable on one site? As a tiki-neophyte, I recently picked up my very clean copy for $30 from a dealer in France. Good things sometimes happen...

I keep looking and hoping as well. I cannot afford the $80-$150 price BOT normally goes for. I have thought about settling for the cheaper small version that is paperback, but I am a completist and it drives me crazy when anything is left out at all even one picture. Not to mention I tend to have bad luck with the binding on such books I have had a few of the smaller Taschen books start to lose pages; it is probably rare but it is dis-heartening when it happens. I had a very hard time replacing one of them this happened to: "Krazy Kids' Food! vintage food graphics" they re-printed it later but I really disliked the new cover (I am well aware my graphic design occupation makes me a sickeningly picky person to please when it comes to printing) and at the time it was very hard to find... now its plentiful go figure.

"there were cheaper copies for a while there will be again..."

So BigBro, is that a hint that there will be a reprint in the works soon? :wink:

M
meega posted on Thu, Oct 27, 2011 3:31 PM
AF

My own Amazon purchase experience from three years ago took three to four months and ran me about $65.00. The copy that arrived was in excellent shape. I feel lucky now seeing these head scratching list prices.

My suggestion for those in search of The BOT would be to continue checking lots of different places for a copy. I related a story to Sven a few years ago about garage sale BOT transaction I witnessed.

I had been at this sale for a little bit when the woman who was having the sale explained that 20 or so boxes of assorted stuff off to the side of the garage was not sale. I stayed away from boxes, others didn't.

I few minutes later, while I was asking the woman for prices on some items, another woman walked up to us. She held up the BOT in our faces and asked "How much for this?” My eyes were popping out of their sockets until the seller told her that it wasn't for sale and that she must have gotten it from the "off limits" boxes. The woman stressed that she really wanted it badly "because it would fit so beautifully on my TIKI Alter" but the seller stood firm. The TIKI woman asked “Are you sure?” She had a sad, disappointed look on her face as she turned to put the BOT back in the box home it came from when suddenly the seller said "You know, I don't need to hang on to that book. You can have it for three dollars".

My head was still spinning when I offered the new owner $20. She said no and that she just had to keep it…very understandable.

The moral of the story for you hunters is to keep looking in spots you wouldn't think you'd find the BOT, don't listen to directions and never, ever take no for an answer once.

$3 for BOT. Truly a gift from the gods!

H

This book is currently up for sale at around 34.99 on Ebay.

[ Edited by: hiltiki 2011-11-01 10:09 ]

Be patient...

Check Amazon at least daily...

Last year I got a copy in very good condition for $27.00...

On 2011-10-01 12:19, Ojaitimo wrote:
I have always wanted a hard cover edition of BOT but found the prices always too high. I was looking at the Amazon book sellers, quite a few above $150.00. Then I see Richard the book dealer wants $999.00 for his copy. I'd like to know what Bigbro wrote and whose BOT was this?

I'll sell my copy for 666.00!!!

Pages: 1 13 replies