Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

OktoberFIST October 8 Alpine Village Torrance 2011

Pages: 1 10 replies

M

It seems Inky and I are going to make the extra distance (past our recent Big bear Oktoberfest celebration of recent years) all the way into Torrance to (hopefully) hang with our LA tiki friends Saturday at this years Oktoberfest celebration! 6pm? ish. Details to follow...
http://www.alpinevillagecenter.com/oktoberfest/

B

The stuff on the dinner menu looks very tasty!

Will Hubert and Russell be going as well?

M

On 2011-10-02 15:33, inkylouise wrote:
Will Hubert and Russell be going as well?

OF COURSE! plus, Hubert will be showing off his tattoo!

I was there last year.. it was fun but VERY CROWDED!! so get there early if you want to park in their lot,, otherwise you'll be walking from the K-mart shopping center on the other side of the Frwy...booooo...I wished it hadn't gotten so big..it's not as cozy as it was when it was in the smaller "Chateau-Style" wood roofed building... still fun though...see you there :)

There is also a good Octoberfest in Hunt Beach at Old World going on all month in October .

http://www.oldworld.ws/okfest.html

Cheers-Trader Billy

DZ

Sabu & I go to many times every year (I've been 3 times already this year!) and things change a lot from one Oktober to the next. Yes, it's in a big, massive tent now, and (literally) thousands of people are there each night, but it's still a LOT of fun! The beer is good (esp. the Paulaner) and so is the food; the new 'host' HEINO is hysterical, they play all the fun oom-pah-pah songs & sing-alongs ("Alice? Alice? Who the fuck is Alice?" being my fave), have all the contests (although they've dropped the beer-drinking contest again for this year :( ),parades & silly dances and everyone is encouraged to come in costume. (What kind of costume is up to you. I always wear a cuddly raccoon-head hat, while Sabu dons his best pharaohnic headdress.) New changes for this year: 1).They've upped the admission to $20.00 and made special VIP packages available. You can buy tickets online ahead of time (which does save time. Sometimes), but if it says 'sold out', don't worry, they always sell 'em at the door. 2). No glass containers! Ceramic steins appear to be OK still, but if you have one of those big glass boots, they won't let you in with it. 3). They've changed the orientation of the stage. In years past, the stage has always been at the north end of the tent and folks entered from the south - now it's at the west and you enter from the east. No big deal if you've never been, but kinda disorienting to us veterans. 4). the O-fest itself shuts down around 12:30, but revelers are encouraged to go over to the Alpine Inn to continue for another hour. No admission price for the AI. (Oh, and security is good, fair and swift in meting out justice!)

Helpful hints:
**get there EARLY if you want a table - they go fast and all the ones in the front are 'reserved' for folks who buy the VIP packages.
**wear comfy shoes - you'll probably be on your feet a lot.
**bring cash. They have ATMs there if you run out, but it's a cash-only affair.
**park at the K-Mart. Even if you get ther early. Cops looooove to hang out by the Alpine exits, but seem to avoid the K-Mart like the plague.
**have a few drinks beforehand, if possible. $11.00 a beer (32 oz.) can get a mite costly if you're 'starting from scratch'.

Hope to see some of mah peeps there this weekend!

Vee lof OktoberFIST!

DZ

GOOD NEWS!!
It looks like I might be wrong about there not being a beer drinking contest this year. I usually get there around 8:30 or 9:00 & it must happen earlier in the evening...

DZ

Just bumpin' this up 'cause it's tomorrow!

I know this is not a "tiki" event by any stretch of the imagination, but it has been a TikiCentral tradition going back all the way to 2002 (Go on - do a search on it! You're not doing anything else at the moment...)

And if you're going to Baja Marty's benefit, come to Alpine Village after - things don't really get jumpin' til after 9:00!

Zicke zacke zicke zacke oi oi oi!!

M

I know someone who works for a company that has decided that anytime more than two employees get together, the gathering becomes a "work function" and those employees should act accordingly. By that stretch of imagination, this IS a tiki event, because more than two TC folk (much more) will be there !!
We plan on getting there just before 6pm (doors opening) , so we can get some seats for all of us! ZAZZ!

Pics..Pics...Where's the Pics or are you still all celebrating at Alpine Village??

Pages: 1 10 replies