Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Raiatea Helm's New Release - Sea of Love

Pages: 1 9 replies

TS

I did a cursory search and didn't see anything about this. I figured I'd post 'cuz I thought this was cool. Raiatea Helm's new release, Sea of Love, came out yesterday. It is based on Hawaiian Club music and Hapa Haole style music. This should be really fun. There are liner notes and one sample on her album site http://raiateahelm.com/music/Sea_of_Love/ that gives you an idea what is up. I'm going to pick it up. Should be a great addition to my Tiki play list.
A hui hou,
TS

H

Thanks for the heads ups! I'll check it out on iTunes for sure. And how cute is that vintage-y cover?

I had no idea she had another cd coming out. Mahalo. She is one of the very few Hawaiian artists who truly pay homage to the traditional sounds. It's disturbing that so much of the music coming from the islands is all Jawaiian. Hawaiians are replacing their own culture with Jamaican. When I went to "Polynesian Heritage" night for a Giants game, the dj only played that crappy Hawaiian reggae. Just sad. BUT Raiatea will save the day. Completely recommend seeing her live if you get a chance.

TS

No pilikia Hibiscus and Tiki Kaimuki. Glad to bring her up. Yes...she is a fantastic singer. The first time I heard her was on one of those sample CD things at the Costco in Kona. I picked up a couple of her CDs and have been a fan ever since. You can stream KCCN on your computer. October 15 between 7:30AM and 9:00AM Hawai'ian time, she will have an interview. I agree too that the Jawiian music has its place and KCCN plays alot of it. It will be good to have them play her latest and have her interview.

Chop'em, drop'em and cruise'em. It ain't cool if they don't drool!

[ Edited by: Tiki Slob 2011-10-06 08:39 ]

E

Sounds gorgeous, mahalo for the heads up! I'd heard of her through her work with Keola Beamer, this is different for sure. And yeah, I could go on all day about what has happened to Hawaiian music...I've been to Jamaica twice, great place - with the third-highest murder rate in the world. Spent a lovely afternoon with a bunch of thugs who wanted to show me their gun collections (I'd been offered the services of a "guide", who ended up with $100 of my money for carrying my groceries part of the way up the beach, worth it to get rid of him and his demented buddies after hours and hours of wasted time) - never again.

What's my point? I guess maybe that Hawaiians don't understand Jamaica and should lay off the reggae. Hawaiian and Jamaican culture couldn't be more different. Whadda they think, they both live on islands so that gives them a lot in common? Wrong! Jamaica is all about parasitic hustling, you can forget about any kind of aloha. Still, I am an old reggae fan, it's a very vital and deep music and what inspired me to visit in the first place. "Jawaiian" - what a sad joke. Sorry for the downer comment, but lame, watered-down reggae will never find a place in my collection. SO glad there are still people like Raiatea holding fast to the roots.

TS

emspace...breath...then listen to Riatea a lot and you will surely feel better. So, yeah, probably the real intent of the Jawaiian music is to get the "island rhythm" thing happening. I like listening to it when I am doing stuff in the garage or the yard because it gets me boppin' and moving. Anyway, glad you too are diggin' Riatea. Check YouTube. There's some good stuff both solo and with Beamer.
A hui hou,
Tiki Slob...

TS

OK...picked up Sea of Love a week ago today. I dig it. Not quite what I was hoping for but I like it none the less. I got it at Costco in Kona. Best price there. Walmart, Target and ABC all had it for more.
Tiki Slob

H

I just got the Best of Raiatea from Japan. I am enjoying it. I Might want to try some of her old CD's.

TM

Lucas, thanks for bringing this topic back up. After watching the links you posted I started poking around to find out what it is. I suppose most of you know, Hawaiian style women's falsetto. Google and youtube sent me on a wonderful journey through decades of these great artists. While most falsetto tries for a smooth transition from the normal vocal range to falsetto, Hawaiian accentuates the break, seems sung in Hawaiian usually, creating a music from my memories that seems most Hawaiian (though an Alpine art brought through a Mexican filter to a Polynesian land). I suggest you all take this journey on your own. :)

aloha, tikicoma

Pages: 1 9 replies