Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Pics of mid century modern/ tiki backyards, pools, patios etc

Pages: 1 23 replies

H

I'm trying to use the search tool but i'm not having much luck...

I'm looking for inspirational pictures of backyards, patios and pools in the tiki modern / mid century modern flavor, as we are currently planning our house extension and backyard remodel at the moment.

I have some good books on the topic (the Atomic ranch book, Shulman's Modernism books), but was hoping to see some more "Modern Tropical" backyard reference pics on TC, but not having much luck. I know there is a jungle backyard thread but its not quite what i'm after.

The end result of this remodeling project will hopefully be of interest to the TC folk so I promise to keep you informed. And of course inside there will be a nice tiki bar so I can host any thirsty visitor to these parts with a quality cocktail :)

H

For example...

P

I don't know if you have the pics of Marcus's old (I think?) pad, when it was listed for sale... but I have them saved and they are my benchmark for tasefully blending the tiki/mid-century combo. You back in Oz now?

Some Vintage tiki pools:

This first group is more tiki than modern:

...while this next one has plenty of modernist details:

H

That's the stuff Sabu! Thanks, you're a wealth of information!

On 2011-10-12 23:46, Paipo wrote:
I don't know if you have the pics of Marcus's old (I think?) pad, when it was listed for sale... but I have them saved and they are my benchmark for tasefully blending the tiki/mid-century combo. You back in Oz now?

Hey Paipo! yep just got back to Oz and starting to get settled back into life here. I vaguely recall some pics of Marcus's pad, but i don't have them to hand. I'll keep searching, but feel free to post anything here.

I wanna clean all those pools.

Jeff(btd)

No pool, but nice make-over video.
http://www.hgtv.com/video/mid-century-modern-backyard-video/index.html

Forgot to say...if you Google under Images "mid century modern pool" there are great pictures.

"Oh waiter, another cocktail please!!!"

[ Edited by: VampiressRN 2011-10-13 11:57 ]

Here is an old HGTV episode that had the client shopping at Oceanic Arts (not shown). There was a better episode but I can't find it now. The "person" giving the couple a toast at the end was our "other" next door neighbor that ruined his Eichler by putting a second story on it.

http://www.hgtv.com/video/unique-1950s-tropical-paradise-video/index.html

There are some photos of the old Rincon Room and 1 shot of the pool (photo gallery pages 7-8-9) from our last home (1962 Eichler) on the Tiki Magazine website. JonPaul may have more shots. We did not have a digital camera then so I don't know wher all the photos are that we took. Too bad you can't see all of it looking back towards the house. There was a BBQ just outside the bar that has a boomerang shaped concrete countertop. On page 32 of Atomic Ranch you will see our next door (good) neighbors house (they told AR about our house). They kept there house original but you don't get a shot of their pool. There are a few shots of our pad (atrium-lower left corner page 49/Front Exterior-page 95/Den page 96/ Living Room page 97) you can see a little of the bbq behind the couch outside. The bar was in the room right behind that Witco cocktail picture.

http://www.tikimagazine.com/

Also look at some of these books on Palm Springs

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=palm+springs+modern&x=0&y=0

H

On 2011-10-13 15:24, bongofury wrote:

There are some photos of the old Rincon Room and 1 shot of the pool (photo gallery pages 7-8-9) from our last home (1962 Eichler) on the Tiki Magazine website. JonPaul may have more shots. We did not have a digital camera then so I don't know wher all the photos are that we took. Too bad you can't see all of it looking back towards the house. There was a BBQ just outside the bar that has a boomerang shaped concrete countertop. ...

Hey Ron, here are few shots I took back in 2005, backyard and some closeups of the BBQ:

T

I LOVE this thread!

Here are a few pics of a pool project we did last year. Wish I had seen some of these pictures before we finished this one!

OMG...that is just awesome...love the palms too. Again...the Moai display is fabulous...love the layout...so clean!!! Looks cool at night.

H
harro posted on Fri, Oct 14, 2011 4:44 PM

SUPER stuff here. Ron I love your pics in AR book, and also have seen your old and new homes here on TC and Tiki mag, love it all. Was nice meeting you at Oasis. I have a shallow A-Frame pitched roofline that will be featured in the renovation. In the AR book it describes your kitchen but I couldn't see any pics of it in the book?

For some reason I can't view any of the HGTV videos, maybe there is a block for non-US peeps... :x

I don't have the Cygelman PS Modern book yet, its hard to get here in Aust at the moment. Is it better than PS MCM by Faibyshev which i can get here?

Tikifred that's an impressive backyard project you've done there, well done! Are all those pits and torches fueled by gaslines? Pool looks awesome at night, i'll be trying for a similar night-time allure. Not sure where you live but were fortunate here in sub-tropical queensland to have palm trees growing everywhere, i'm even chopping down a handful in my backyard that were self-sewn and have grown 20feet in a couple of years!

Keep the pics coming!

T

Thanks Vampiress....Harro, those tiki torches and firebowls are supplied by propane gas lines that we buried early in the project. I debated using the traditional bamboo tiki torches that you find in stores but figured this would be easier to live with. There is a propane tank that is underground also that supplies the torches and heats the pool too. We're in eastern PA so we had to buy fake palm trees! The fun thing with them is, there are lights in the coconuts that light up at night. I laugh whenever I look at them. I think the website that sells them is designerpalms.com. I wish we could have real palms...there are a couple palms that are hardy enough for the climate here but they're not the big ones you need for the Tiki look.

H
hewey posted on Mon, Oct 17, 2011 4:14 AM

Awesome thread! I hold Marcus responsible for getting Liana and I into mid century modern style (the first time we met in person was to go to his luau :lol: )

Where you living now Harro?

The Modernist Australia website can be great for inspiration
http://www.modernistaustralia.com/index.php/real-estate/

Here's our modest MCM backyard, as featured in Summer 2011 Atomic Ranch Magazine. What you can't see are the tikis and banana palms along the wall, just left of the photo.

A PDF of the article can be found at http://www.atomic-ranch.com/store/pdf/30-buildingcommunity.pdf

Cheers!

-The Mod Jetsetter

T

Looks great, Mod. Those are exactly the palm trees I wish we could have here in the chilly NE.

H
harro posted on Fri, Oct 21, 2011 3:49 PM

Mod Jetsetter that looks very tidy sir, well done! I clicked the link but it was only that one pic of the backyard?

G'day Hewey, we are back in Brisbane now - we were going to spend some time in Sydney first but a few things came up that made the decision for us to settle here. I've already come across that modernist australia website, and Brisbane Modern magazine etc, which are all good sources. Hows things in Sydney??

H
hewey posted on Fri, Oct 28, 2011 4:58 AM

Things are good in Sydney - Liana has moved down and everything is going great, and we just bought an EK wagon. And for kicks I'm doing http://www.kustomkultureaustralia.com/

To keep this thread on track and mid century modern and tiki focused, here's one of our chairs which we picked up a couple of months ago. They're a set of Bertoia replicas, here's one with my hand made paipo and a tiki we brought back from Vanuatu earlier in the year. I love the juxtaposition between the timber carving and the modern chrome of the chair. I'm currently building a hoop pine natural edge slab dining table, complete with a flush mounted glass strip down the centre. The timber slab needs another 6-12 months to dry out, but should look great with these chairs.

On 2011-10-12 22:53, harro wrote:
For example...

Are these all located in Palm Springs?

I'm pretty sure the above 4 photos are NOT in Palm Springs - I don't recognize #1,2 and 4 (although, #4 resembles the back of a Twin Palms Alexander, but with some additions). I'm pretty sure #3 is a Cliff May in the Santa Barbara area.

Cheers!

I can't take credit for finding the picture of this awesome pool, don't know where it is at and it's not Tiki but certainly is unique.

These are great pics. Im diggin that stone moai and pool during nightime. the lighting is awesome.

I am resurrecting this thread...POOLS...how can you go wrong. They fit into any atmosphere, but especially tropical, MCM, and Tiki decor and bars enhance the fun of the pool.

I have a very narrow backyard so think I may eventually get a swim spa...at least that is my dream. Does anyone have a swimspa?

Please...everyone post pictures of their backyard poos and water features.

Pages: 1 23 replies