Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Frankies Tiki Room Sign stolen!

Pages: 1 2 48 replies

TK

From Facebook:
"FRANKIE'S NEON SIGN STOLEN !!!!!!! 3 weeks ago a person with close ties to the tiki community was in Frankie's Tiki Room asking a lot of questions about our exterior pink neon signs. He told staff that he liked our neon signs and wanted one just like them. He said he had a friend who worked professionally with neon and hoped his friend could help him obtain a neon sign just like the ones outside Frankie's. He went so far as to go outside and closely inspect our pink neon ... 2 days later the neon sign "TIKI ROOM" on the east side of the building was stolen. According to our sign company it had been professionally cut and removed.

If this criminal, who many of you know, was stupid enough to steal the neon sign after asking about it, then he is undoubtedly stupid enough to show it off or talk about it. That is why we have waited so long to go public about this.

If you should see our neon or hear about it, please call Las Vegas Metro Police immediately. The police incident number is: LLV 111011002572."

T

what if he stole it so he could make an exact copy and will return it after he is done. Totally sucks

What is the cost to get this replaced.

Maybe he took it to light up his SoccerTiki tiki - bad mana!

Why can't we have nice things!

without some F.J.O. messing with it, really sorry to hear about crap like this.

Bummer.Here's what it looks like.

Keep your eye open for it.

DC

seems if a specific person is a person of interest, it would be more productive to go right to them and deal with it... no?

This is truly awful. I've personally contorted myself just so to get some great pics of this exact sign. Replaceable, sure, as neon tubes break and need to be maintained regularly, but still a very crappy thing to do to a great business. Bad karma for life for someone, I say.

they are open 24 hrs, are right next to a gas station on one side and street exposure on the charleston side and no one saw anything ?? was ray charles working the door that night ??

sucks..... but at least it was there when we were on our honeymoon !!!

The culprit will eventually be caught ...... in the meantime, frankies will spring for a new sign and some outdoor security cameras and all will be well again....

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2011-10-24 21:08 ]

The EAST side is opposite of the front door.

I hope when they catch the thief they deal with him old school Vegas style and Cattle Prod the bastard. Hopefully while they're still holding the sign so it lights up! :evil:

S

I'm probably going to get blasted here, but let's look on the bright side of things (no pun intended). I think it's quite funny. Isn't it just amazing what people will steal? There is a 'Tiki court' street sign not far from my house. I've been tempted to pinch that for a while. If i do/did, would that be acceptable, considering it is 'only' a street sign? Just wondering. (I sorta believe in karma and agree that he shouldn't have stolen it, and i do hope it comes back to haunt him, but i still think it's funny.)

P

Not the brightest person, if they plan on using it in their home tiki bar, they better have a fairly large area, and wouldn't it be a little too bright for the atmosphere in even a fairly large, home bar?

Does everybody forget the tiki collecting by-laws (or whatever he called it) that Otto established from Tiki News? It said something along the lines that it is immoral and against the current tiki resurgence to take things from operating tiki establishments, be it mugs, menus, or decor.

Side note: It's a bummer that DTB can't serve their drinks in actual 'rum barrels' anymore because Art said that so many were being stolen from the bar. Pretty lame if you ask me.

Anyway, this guy has taken it to the next level. Let's get this neon stealing jerk.

On 2011-10-24 21:45, RevBambooBen wrote:
The EAST side is opposite of the front door.

doh !! i didn't realize there was a sign on 3 sides of the building.... i thought it was just the south and west side..... guess that explains it. I didn't even look on the east side when i was there a couple weeks back....

I stand corrected.

but they still need to put up cameras, at least on the east side.....

Have there been any police sketches of the culprit who asked all the questions? You could put up a few posters at some of the regular hangouts as a person of interest. I wonder if he fancied himself as a character from Ocean’s 11 with the Las Vegas backdrop. I hope it doesn’t wind up in a tiki bar in South America.

This angers me! I know you'll find the douchebag who did this.

On 2011-10-25 01:08, swizzle wrote:
I'm probably going to get blasted here, but let's look on the bright side of things (no pun intended). I think it's quite funny. Isn't it just amazing what people will steal? There is a 'Tiki court' street sign not far from my house. I've been tempted to pinch that for a while. If i do/did, would that be acceptable, considering it is 'only' a street sign? Just wondering. (I sorta believe in karma and agree that he shouldn't have stolen it, and i do hope it comes back to haunt him, but i still think it's funny.)

Swizz, I'd be tempted to "pinch" that sign too. Of course, there's a big difference between stealing a cheap road sign for the govenment and stealing an expensive neon sign from a business owner. I could easily convince myself that the road sign was mine anyway since I paid my taxes :lol:

S

On 2011-10-25 11:09, MadDogMike wrote:

Swizz, I'd be tempted to "pinch" that sign too. Of course, there's a big difference between stealing a cheap road sign for the govenment and stealing an expensive neon sign from a business owner. I could easily convince myself that the road sign was mine anyway since I paid my taxes :lol:

I completely agree MDM. I'll get it one day and i'll post some pics when i do. :D

BREAKING NEWS .....LAS VEGAS POLICE HAVE JUST RELEASED A DESCRIPTION OF THE MAN.....he is described as five foot 9 caucasion man with tattoos, wearing jeans, slicked back hair, horn rimmed glasses, blue jeans and an aloha shirt.Witnesses say he seemed jovial and perhaps a little tipsy and at the time was humming Similau.

J

:(

Actually that picture below is Frankie's Pre-Tiki Room...

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2011-10-25 16:17 ]

So sad, when Tiki goes bad! We will find you.

On 2011-10-25 14:06, JOHN-O wrote:

Hey John O,
weren't you there around the time of this incident going down?
and you are mighty fond of Vegas too.
Hmmmmmmm?
:wink:

Jeff(btd)

I'll be there Monday looking for clues, prolly in the bottom of my glass, but I'll be looking!

On 2011-10-25 13:30, swizzle wrote:

I completely agree MDM. I'll get it one day and i'll post some pics when i do. :D

Anytime you have to convince yourself thats it's O.K. to do something like this,you should know it's wrong. Stealing is Stealing and trying to convince yourself it's O.K. is just kind of sad.

This is why most tiki bars don't have tiki salt/pepper shakers and don't serve drinks in real tiki mug's anymore. People will convince them selfs it's O.K. to take because they purchased food or a drink.

Just my 2 cents

:blush: OK, I retract my advice :blush:

I noticed some new decor at the White House. :D

On 2011-10-25 18:31, TIKI-TONGA wrote:
I noticed some new decor at the White House. :D

Arrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!

T

Umm... Michigan is FAR from Mexico AND Arizona. For those
unfamiliar with the southeast Michigan area, check a detailed
map of Michigan west of Detroit, northwest of Ann Arbor and
near Pinkney... hopefully you will find "Hell, Michigan". If not,
Google it. A fun little "blink and you'll miss" tourist trap of a
hamlet. I'll try to post some related picks soon. BTW, if you
enclose a mailing with proper postage inside another parcel
addressed to "Postmaster, Hell MI" & the zip code (I think
it's Pinkney's zip but check to be sure), they will hand cancel
the envelope with a Hell postmark, popular with SOME folks
at tax time, etc. and send off the mailing for you. There MAY
be SOME restrictions, not sure. Technically, I believe it is a
Pinkney postal substation with a special postmark designation.

There is a Route 666 not far from my house, but nobody can ever find it because people steal the signs for it as soon as they are put up.

I was reading an article once about a the most stolen road sign in New York state, it marks an off ramp and says "Fiji Way" on it. A national fraternity calling itself "Fiji" is suspected in most of the thefts.

A

On 2011-10-27 04:42, captnkirk wrote:
There is a Route 666 not far from my house, but nobody can ever find it because people steal the signs for it as soon as they are put up.

I was reading an article once about a the most stolen road sign in New York state, it marks an off ramp and says "Fiji Way" on it. A national fraternity calling itself "Fiji" is suspected in most of the thefts.

Is stealing really the Fiji Way?

I actually know people that traveled to hell, michigan to get married just so they can say they were married in Hell !!

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2011-10-27 10:24 ]

On 2011-10-25 09:11, naugatiki wrote:
Have there been any police sketches of the culprit who asked all the questions? You could put up a few posters at some of the regular hangouts as a person of interest. I wonder if he fancied himself as a character from Ocean’s 11 with the Las Vegas backdrop. I hope it doesn’t wind up in a tiki bar in South America.

Why not review the interior/exterior surveillance cameras of Frankie's. Also most gas stations have exterior cameras set up for the perimeter of the property. They may have captured some evidence.

A popular one along I-94 between Chicago and Milwaukee is the "Bong Recreation Area."

That seems like one the local powers-that-be really should've reconsidered.

Ugh... what a depressing bummer. Hope you guys get back what's rightfully yours!

perhaps someone with experience in law enforcement might chime in, but...

if there is a legitimate suspect, should they not have been tracked down and questioned by now? if necessary, get a warrant?

and if this has or has not been done, isn't that helpful information to include in this press release? otherwise it seems overly vague.

the tiki community might be more effective in helping solve this alleged theft if they know that they are looking either for a) the stolen property, or b) the alleged thief or any contact info for them. if they are being asked for leads on how to find the alleged thief, that would be best spelled out explicitly.

just sayin'...

T

If the police had a prime suspect they certainly wouldn't need our help. I think this was posted in case any of us see the stolen sign. I don't think anyone considered this a press release.

I don't consider this an alleged theft unless you are alleging that the person reporting this to the police are filing a false police report. Fact: A police report was taken and and case number was given to the victim in this case.

Just sayin'...

cool, wasn't implying anything about the report or reporter, just figuring this is the country with the whole 'innocent into proven guilty thing,' thus the alleged part.

still, to throw out the 'a person with close ties' statement and leave it kind of dangling... just my opinion, seems everyone here has one :wink:

Then that means the game is afoot & everyone on TC is a suspect!
who has an alibi?

T

usual suspects

On 2011-10-27 15:01, Chuck Tatum is Tiki wrote:
who has an alibi?

portland?

East side of Frankie's is next to the Dental School parking lot which is dark at night. Only lit up by the pink neon of the Frankie's neon sign. There's a tree there too. It's the side that you can see from the 15 freeway.

Someone needs to start up the "kaleidoscope" from NCIS!

P

On 2011-10-27 19:02, RevBambooBen wrote:
East side of Frankie's is next to the Dental School parking lot which is dark at night. Only lit up by the pink neon of the Frankie's neon sign. There's a tree there too. It's the side that you can see from the 15 freeway.

this

and if the sign went out there would be no light at all. people drive by that spot pretty quick.

T

I live real close to Hell and on my way home last week, there is this really nice home compound with a separate garage and above the garage is like a little house. Strange thing is I've never seen anything like this before but that afternoon (overcast) the upstairs of this garage window was glowing a bright red. (but the color we are looking for is pink, but it just made me think.

any news on the mising neon?

Has there been any progress on the Missing Neon Tiki Case? Sounds like an awesome Film Noir style detective film.....

I was in Hell,Mi on 6-6-06 when the population went from about 200 to over a thousand. They have a great ice cream shop.

http://www.hell2u.com/

How long would it take to steal a sign that size? Plus, it would take at least three people doing it so that it didn't get damaged while they were boosting it and yet nobody saw it?

.....me no not how to spell hehe

"I've been ionized, but I'm okay now." - B. Banzai

“The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass.” Martin Mull

"Rum is not drinking, it's surviving" Robert Shaw THE DEEP

[ Edited by: ErkNoLikeFire 2011-11-13 22:54 ]

T

One way they sometimes catch criminals is with nearby store cameras from a building or two over. Different angles.

On 2011-10-29 15:49, teaKEY wrote:
I live real close to Hell and on my way home last week, there is this really nice home compound with a separate garage and above the garage is like a little house. Strange thing is I've never seen anything like this before but that afternoon (overcast) the upstairs of this garage window was glowing a bright red. (but the color we are looking for is pink, but it just made me think.

That sounds really suspicious though, could you stand on tip toes and peek into the upstairs window?

Pages: 1 2 48 replies