Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

High Wall-Mounted Mug Shelves

Pages: 1 33 replies

I'm looking to run some mug shelves around the perimeter of my lounge & would like suggestions for construction, attaching, finish, etc., as well as, some good pics of yours.

I am doing the same thing will post some pics as I do them.

Nobody's got any pics?

Still working it out, maybe by next week?

Hey there Kahuna,
I built a shelf around the top of The Aloha Room for mugs.
You can get a glimpse of it in some of these pics

Basically I just used 1x4 boards, stained them and mounted them with those simple "L" brackets. I put the brackets on top of the boards so you don't see them from underneath. Once they were up, I just used split bamboo along the front edge to finish them off.

Aloha,
:tiki:

That's pretty much what I am doing also, Bamboo Ben recommended the same thing to me.

A few of these bad boys would do the trick!

Thanks, Tiki Royale. The funny thing is, I was the first one to reply to those pics way back when! Those Moai shelves are cool, but I've got more than 300 mugs.

On 2011-10-27 15:32, Tiki Royale wrote:
Hey there Kahuna,
You can get a glimpse of it in some of these pics

Basically I just used 1x4 boards, stained them and mounted them with those simple "L" brackets. I put the brackets on top of the boards so you don't see them from underneath. Once they were up, I just used split bamboo along the front edge to finish them off.

Aloha,

YES! This!

[ Edited by: Slacks Ferret 2011-10-28 07:48 ]

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=27144&forum=18

Marh had a lot of mugs too.

Now, he has a lot of Rum!

The funny thing is that the bar is soooo tiny!

( in that room....)

p.s. Cliff! I thought you were moving to Ca.?

C

my bar ran out of room so I ran a high shelf along the top edge of the hallway leading to the bar from my livingroom.

got these at Ikea. I think they are made to be a plate rail. they have a lip on the front plus I used museum wax to stick stuff down.

K

Our original purpose was to hide a projector screen. I think this pic shows more of the screen than is usually showing. We split a fat piece of bamboo and attached it to a flat shelf so that we could put mugs up there. I wonder if this could be done with spacers so that there is a gap between the shelf and top edge of bamboo so that rope lighting could be inserted to light the mugs...

Here is where I am at the moment Kahuna.

I am using 1" X 6" pine, sanded and prepped for stain.

I am using 3" corner braces to mount the shelf (Find the studs in the wall so it is solidly mounted)

After staining & then cut a wrap around corner piece, wood glue & attached some
corner brackets on the top & bottom of the shelf.

I am going to router slots for the wall brackets, but I am very rusty with the router, So I practice a few cuts.

That's it for today, I will post more later as work progresses.

More work done...

Put the mounts on the shelf

Drive screws into the studs

First section is on the wall & very solid

I still have another section to mount and some Bamboo trim, but that is the basics
I will post a few more finishing shots soon.

On 2011-11-03 19:41, Chuck Tatum is Tiki wrote:

Chucky Baby!

Solid enough to take the Bamboo Ben challenge??

Can you hang from it? :wink:

On 2011-11-03 19:59, RevBambooBen wrote:

On 2011-11-03 19:41, Chuck Tatum is Tiki wrote:

Chucky Baby!

Solid enough to take the Bamboo Ben challenge??

Can you hang from it? :wink:

Ben I trust the brackets & mounting, but I used cheap pine to keep the cost down, sooooo....

Here is what it looks like now, just have to paint the wall brackets to blend into the wall
and put a Bamboo lip along the edges.

Finished, Ripped some Bamboo slats to 1-1/2 inches & mounted as trim pieces
painted the wall brackets to match & blend with the walls
installed a color LED light strip, now I just need to unpack more mugs to display.

Hope this helps as a step by step how too, Big Thanks to Bamboo Ben for the advice!

N
newB24 posted on Wed, Nov 9, 2011 4:17 AM

That is a super cool space, it all just works.....SAAWEET!!!!

ps. thanks for the how to, always great to see how the other half does it!

Thanks newB24, if anyone wants more detailed info on materials etc, just ask.
these shelves can be mounted anywhere and be any length needed for the job.

Total cost for this shelf was $45 Dollars for Wood,Bamboo,Brackets,Screws etc.(I already had Stain & sealer)
that would add about $12 Dollars & a LED light kit at $50.

On 2011-10-27 15:32, Tiki Royale wrote:
Hey there Kahuna,

Aloha,

I did something similar to Tiki Royales shelves, but on the bottom of mine (they are high mounted), I glued the small weave ( 1/4 inch?) matting and then finished it off the the split bamboo. My Brackets pointed upward also and I hid them by making a small slit in the tapa on the wall and slide the bracket up into that slit. Some more pictures here;

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=35613&forum=20&start=75&hilite=huli

Tat um
Lookin good

Looks fabulous and that color is wicked...the lighting really makes your place shine. I love the stone too...good mix of media.

Thank's Vamp, starting in on another wall this week.

And finished a new shelf for the dinning room

Oooooooo! I like that. Whadja use for lighting?

One of those modular LED light strips from Ikea, I will have to add a couple more sections
to go the length of the shelf, Big K.

That shelf looks great so does the living room LOVE the rock wall!!!! Also like how you hung and displayed certain items very nice.

You have good taste Walt_Tiki :)

Youzer...that shelf turned out great!!!

No, your fabulous Vamp.....yes,you are!

Gah! The shelving is great! I am just beginning my tiki mug collection and I'm looking for non-tacky ways to display the little darlings. Thanks for posting the great photos!

My very simple take on the tiki mug shelf:

For the edges, I took a jigsaw and basically just randomly cut away chunks. After scorching, it really helped give it the appearance of salvaged drift wood.

Lighting is battery operated red leds on a thin wire. I had tried ELwire previously, but it wasn't bright enough...

Nice shelves!

Pages: 1 33 replies