Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

for Hula Girls & Zombies in love with Rhythm & Melody!

Pages: 1 7 replies

A great band from my home town in Tunbridge Wells, U.K, (The Violet Jive) that have a bit of a tiki theme running thru their website and live gigs! Even a tiki/hula themed story on their site that explains where their name came from. http://www.thevioletjive.co.uk

TM

I really wanted to hate this new band. You see, there is a very popular band here called "the hula girls" and the imagery for this new band seems a little to similar....BUT...I found myself actually enjoying the music quite a bit. Probably because the guitar player is really good. The music is very dark, sparse and well done with a good attention to ambience.

http://www.facebook.com/thehulagirls
http://www.myspace.com/thehulagirlsband

I guess there must be quite a few bands with this kind of image in the U.S? Over here in England most people don't even know what tiki is!! It's depressing! There are a few tiki themed bars...Brighton, London, but even they don't really have cool live music unfortunately.

Usually English bands (in the mainstream anyway) are miserable, angsty etc but i've always liked the more colourful ('colorful' for over there) looking/sounding stuff. The guys i mentioned 'The Violet Jive' still sound quite dark like you say but have a bit more going in the imagery department than most of the local bands i see, and a bit of a nod towards that hula vibe! 'The Hula Girls' look like they're way more hardcore tiki freaks, cool stuff!

Are there any other bands over there i should be checking out to brighten my English winter blues!?

lifted this off The Violet Jive's facebook slab...!

I Digg It!

H

A really cool Band !

TM

On 2011-11-02 02:50, Shakey Bones wrote:
I guess there must be quite a few bands with this kind of image in the U.S? Over here in England most people don't even know what tiki is!! It's depressing! There are a few tiki themed bars...Brighton, London, but even they don't really have cool live music unfortunately.

Usually English bands (in the mainstream anyway) are miserable, angsty etc but i've always liked the more colourful ('colorful' for over there) looking/sounding stuff. The guys i mentioned 'The Violet Jive' still sound quite dark like you say but have a bit more going in the imagery department than most of the local bands i see, and a bit of a nod towards that hula vibe! 'The Hula Girls' look like they're way more hardcore tiki freaks, cool stuff!

Are there any other bands over there i should be checking out to brighten my English winter blues!?

lifted this off The Violet Jive's facebook slab...!

Check out The Tikiyaki Orchestra and the Martini Kings. You will probably love them!

I listened too! Great stuff. Amazing guitar player!!

C
cy posted on Wed, Nov 9, 2011 4:41 PM

Thanks for hippin' me to the great sounds of Violet Jive Shakey Bones. Just ordered my copy.

[ Edited by: cy 2011-11-09 16:43 ]

Pages: 1 7 replies