Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

CBS Sunday Morning THIS Sunday Nov. 20th on TIKI!

Pages: 1 2 52 replies

So, WHO is gonna be up at 7:00 am on a Sunday!? I don't know what demographic this air time is aimed at, except maybe church-goers, but it can't be the drinking Tiki crowd. :)

Though I do believe that their interest was fueled by the craft cocktail revival, probably the recent Smuggler's Cove accolades. So I recommended to consult my friend Jeff Berry, but the 4-5 minute segment had only enough budget for one trip, which was to L.A., to make use of the greatest variety of Tiki representations to be found in one area:

They covered the Tiki authority (moi), the classic old cocktail bar (Tiki Ti), a fine home bar (Alan Smart and Michael Uhlencott's Hale Kahiki), and the restaurant bearing the name of the founder (Don The Beachcomber's). I really pushed Oceanic Arts, too, but for their limited time slot it would have been too much material.

I have no idea how this will turn out. I tried to explain the reasons for my love for the subject, but might have ended up a little too intellectual. But they can cut around that, I know Art had lots to share, and Alan mixed them a Beachbum Berry drink, and the Buhen boys at the Ti were expertly slinging their bottles as usual.

Never had that much equipment in my house before! Well, one thing is for sure, I think I represented Sophista-Tiki's wonderful A-frame shirt well. :)

S

Kewl! We watch every week. Best part of Sunday. Out here in the East it is on at a less godforsaken time. Like 9-10:30 or something.

Hope it will be aired online afterwords. I dont have TV, but I can watch stuff online.and YAY thank you, I'm so proud.

Very cool, mainstream media mixed with Sven, the Tiki Ti, and Don the Beachcombers. Will be travelling down south this weekend but will get the DVR set for this one. Thanks for the heads up.

DC

(Nice shirt, need to get me on of those Sophista-Tiki originals).

Sven, Maybe they will give you a Tiki Show out of this. Who Knows Reality is what TV is about now! Congrats!

[ Edited by: Queen Kamehameha 2011-11-18 12:56 ]

Very cool. I enjoy that show and will be watching.

On 2011-11-18 12:41, Sophista-tiki wrote:
Hope it will be aired online afterwords. I dont have TV, but I can watch stuff online.and YAY thank you, I'm so proud.

Looks like they put alot of their stories online

CBS News Sunday Morning

So lets hope we Sven at this link afterwards.

AWESOME!

On 2011-11-18 12:54, Queen Kamehameha wrote:
Sven, Maybe they will give you a Tiki Show out of this. Who Knows Reality is what TV is about now! Congrats!

I dunno....I babbled a lot...you know, German grammar English....I am a better writer than an M.C. :D

TT

Must... Set... Alarm...

setting the DVR, Cool news indeed, Now it's time for a "Montage"

TM

Good that someone like Sven is actually going to be able to represent tiki faithfully!

K
kirby posted on Fri, Nov 18, 2011 5:47 PM

I hope you were wearing one of my tiki pendants!! If not your in big trouble mister!!

This is one of the best shows on TV. It was one of Tiki-Kate's favorite shows and they actually did a great piece on Tiki-Ti a year and a half ago. I'm looking forward to it. :)

Very cool, congrats Sven.

Thank the Tiki Gods for DVRs

Jeff(btd)

Looking forward to this, I will be up.

On your account Sven I'll drag my tired butt outta bed early. Then off to work I go...

CJ

why is everyone cryin' about the time? Don't we all have dvr's these days? I have mine set!

I don't. Some folks even don't have TV. I just got basic cable recently, as a bundle with my wireless internet. :)

I was going to say that I was going to set my VCR but I changed my mind.

Anyway, I could never get rid of that flashing 12:00 light in front.

ACK! 5AM here! :o Sorry Sven, I'll hope for an online repeat.

DVR is cocked and loaded! :wink:
Great shirt Sven, Aloha!

Thanks and great shirt, Dawn! - and here I am, at dawn...

...(no cracks about crack of dawn, please), hoping that this has turned out as something presentable.

T

Sven, just saw the Tiki segment on CBS Sunday Morning, my favorite TV news magazine. Though brief, it was delightful, and you brought a playful gravitas. Love your shirt, BTW.

-Tom

Ho boy, that looks like a lot medicine commercials to sit thru before we get there...

K

Just saw it, very well done!

Kanaka

C

Nice segment. Well done!

I love that Javier taught the masses how to make a proper MaiTai :D

That was great, brief and to the point.

Also Hello Miss PKNY Bartender! :D

JB

Well done, sir....(not nearly long enough).

Yah but WHERE was the Tiki Ti !? And where was Alan and Michael's home bar!? I talked about home bars and home mixology, what an escape and great game to play Tiki is....It was all so brief....

They must have had not like a 1:6 shooting ratio, but a 1: 16 , shooting sooo much more than what ended up in the piece.

Oh well, I remember hating that when I worked for German NDR TV in the 70s: You get to subject that is interesting, but hen you're forced to rush thru it.

I sometimes actually make the "crack-o-" joke myself!
As soon as the segment shows up online I'm going to watch, cant wait. This is the first time I've really missed having TV.

T

I saw it, too. Great! I caught it on mp4 if CBS doesn't make it available.

[ Edited by: tulsatv 2011-11-20 09:04 ]

Sven, I am so sad I missed it. I'm hopeful that it will show up on U-Tube. I am super happy to see my Zombie Hut mug on top of your CD shelf against the pillar in this photo. That brought a huge grin to my face.

I hope you got the resin chunk lamp booklet I sent by email this week. If not let me know.

I am looking forward to seeing this in the future. Cheers, Wendy

I did, thank you. I think CBS should shoot a segment about resin chunk lamps -they look so YUMMY! :)

I did like like their Earl of Sandwich franchises segment, though they should have segued that into the "Sandwich Isles"!

Ok it's up - The return of the Tiki bar

Well not quite "up" but hopefully soon.

[ Edited by: Bora Boris 2011-11-20 09:58 ]

Is the video available? I was outside raking leaves & lost track of time. DOH!

I thought it was a great overview of the Tiki resurgence. You did a wonderful job Sven...CONGRATULATIONS. Shout out to all the other "stahs" too!!!

T

Just sent the video to Dailymotion: "The return of the Tiki bar"

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xmgph3_the-return-of-the-tiki-bar_shortfilms

Not HDTV quality, but not bad for my trusty $20 Pinnacle Video Transfer device.

[ Edited by: tulsatv 2011-11-20 12:17 ]

I agree Sven. Exactly as I thought also, too much drink, not enough Tiki. But still better than nuthin'. Good job by you!

It's on YouTube now too...yeeehaaaaw. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDLC4jjwIf4

Oh goodie!
Since this Sunday it was a food special edition I expected the leaning towards mixology, that's why I specifically talked about the resurgence on the home front, about how people nowadays got into mixing at home in their very own, self-built Tiki havens - which then would have been a perfect lead in to show Alan and Michael's basement bar, where, I was told, CBS filmed them making a Beachbum Berry drink - who I had mentioned as the reviver of the craft earlier!

But when you have to start from scratch and explain the basics, I guess there is not enough room for all of the facets and evolution of the phenomenon. Too bad, but I am certainly grateful for the exposure I got and that they showed my book - and even played a soundbite from the Sound of Tiki (Sabu's flexi disc jingle, that is!)

Great Show Sven. I just got off of work and rushed to my DVR to make sure I recorded it. I did and it looked awesome.

Another Feather in the cap of the Godfather of Tiki.

Rory

G
GROG posted on Sun, Nov 20, 2011 4:06 PM

Good job. GROG like.

The Tiki segment was OK, But the Olive Oil & Toaster segments rocked!

(But Seriously) you came across very well Sven, the Tiki segment was too short
But at least was shown in a positive way, It is a mystery to me why the Media
pretty much ignores the "Tiki Revival" It's colorful & has booze to start with.....

Well this is what these programs do. It is made for the masses not us tiki people and meant to pack the most in for the short time allowed for the segment. They are going to take just the tip top of the cream off the pie. Hopefully this will peek the interest of folks to investigate this culture further and become true educated aficionados.

For what they were going for i think they did a nice job. At least they didn't butcher the subject and show off a bunch of party city and jimmy buffet stuff.

I would obviously like to see an in depth episode on tiki like Spock did on the old "In Search Of" show on PBS. Or a 2 hour History Channel program. There is always hope.

Sven, you did a great job.

They set up a nice mood and happily party city tiki free, but I wonder if we’re ever going to come to a point when a mainstream tiki articles won’t start out with “The tiki are back” like it was just rediscovered yesterday while this whole “revival” has been going on at least 10 years.

Try to explain tiki culture in 50 words or less... Now that's a challenge. Something we should all try to attempt, so we are prepared when someone asks.

Pages: 1 2 52 replies