Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Cold Hardy Palms??

Pages: 1 26 replies

R

Anyone know where to purchase Cold Hardy Palms in the Baltimore Area? Much appreciation on any ideas...w

S

Not B'more, but a good source for hardy palms is Plant Delights Nursery. I have planted many hardy palms in my yard, only to lose them. I even brought very large ones back from SC where the climate is not so far from ours, but they eventually turned to toast. So, I started fresh with a small one from these guys and will see if it grows up hardy here. There are 10 foot palms in town, but have some shelter near buildings and that may be their secret.

And then there is always this option:

On 2010-01-24 09:44, abstractiki wrote:

It gets really cold in the winter in Wildwood NJ down to the 10 to 20 degrees.

Motel owners Dominic and Jullie Rossi made the first plastic Palm tree around 1958.

In the early 60's came Ron Berg, a cop who owned the Mariner Motel. He made his own and other motel owners started buying them from him.

In 1980 Ed Hillar set out to build his own for his back yard pool in Pennsylvania. He made them with a fiberglass trunk and fronds of polyethylene plastic with a UV stabilizer. By 1982 he was making them as his full time job.

In 1984 a Wildwood Motel owner saw his trees at a home and garden show and bought some. They were a lot better than what every one had been using so the rest of the Wildwood motels started buying them from Ed also. As of 2007 Ed was still at it.

The Governor declared the plastic palm trees the "official tree" of the Wildwoods in 2000.

Ed Hiller, plasic palm tree inovater/maker

..and TC even has a thread about it :) :
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=27993&forum=18

P

Mule Palms are also known as the cold coconut.

Hard to find, though. I have a few friends that grow them and they can barely keep them in stock.

They're a hybrid of Queen Palms and Pindo's or "wine palms."

Maybe try bamboo, instead?
It is more hardy for the outside.

You could look for Windmill Palm or Chinese Windmill Palm, which are hardy enough to grow in gardens around Scotland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plockton

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trachycarpus_fortunei

Richie, looks like your original question was "where to find palms?" but I'll add my two cents worth as to which palms grow in cold weather. 2 that haven't been mentioned yet are the European Fan Palm (Chamaerops humilis) and the Needle Palm (Rhapidophyllum). Here's a link to a range map for the Needle Palm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Needlepalmmap.PNG

Here is the Wiki link to "Hardy Palms"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardy_palms
They list the Canary Island Palm, I can send you some seeds if you want :)

D
dcman posted on Tue, Nov 22, 2011 4:58 AM

While not really a palm tree but still a tropical plant, hardy banana trees last well in my neck of the woods. I have to cut it down to the base in the fall and it grows back in the spring as long as I cover it with plastic (they are susceptible to rot) and insulate them with a good pile of leaves or other material. I've had mine live through short bouts of -20 degrees farenheit if I've cared for them in this way.

They grow again in the spring, a little taller each year, my 2 year old tree gets topped out at 5-6 feet for the stalk with some leaves reaching up as high as maybe 8 feet. I bought mine on ebay, sorry I don't have a shipper in mind.

dcman

F
Fugu posted on Tue, Nov 22, 2011 6:11 PM

Did you try Himmel's Nursery on Mountain Rd.? I have no idea if they have palms, but when I was visiting the folks last summer they had some brightly colored tikis outside, so it might be a good place to start.

R

Hey MadDogMike,

Thanx for the info! If you have extra seeds, I'll glad plant them. I can send you a stamped envelope if needed..

Richie

On 2011-11-22 02:53, MadDogMike wrote:
Richie, looks like your original question was "where to find palms?" but I'll add my two cents worth as to which palms grow in cold weather. 2 that haven't been mentioned yet are the European Fan Palm (Chamaerops humilis) and the Needle Palm (Rhapidophyllum). Here's a link to a range map for the Needle Palm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Needlepalmmap.PNG

Here is the Wiki link to "Hardy Palms"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardy_palms
They list the Canary Island Palm, I can send you some seeds if you want :)

R

On 2011-11-22 18:11, Fugu wrote:
Did you try Himmel's Nursery on Mountain Rd.? I have no idea if they have palms, but when I was visiting the folks last summer they had some brightly colored tikis outside, so it might be a good place to start.

I'll have to check them out on this weekend! Thanx much

Well, even though the term "cold" does not apply (saw this near Pomona, CA), I nominate this baby for the "Hardy Palm of the Year" award!:

Awesome pic! Is that Dr Suess' front yard :lol:

Mike, thank you for your continuous, high-spirited responses, but man, is this place a ghost town or what!

It seems that I am proving my own prediction of Facebook being the pied piper of Tiki Centralites to myself: I posted that palm 16 hours ago on FB, and Voila!, I got 12 comments and 49 likes as a response. Obviously because it's like a "human interest" subject, something that EVEYRONE can relate to - not rocket science (or: specialized Tiki archeology). But when I post EITHER of these style of posts here, all that comes back is the sound tumbleweeds blowing through town. Neither human interest nor special interest steers the corpses here any longer. R.I.P., TC? Sigh.

I wonder if it's because of the nature of Facebook? It's a much friendlier platform on which to post a quick reply or a "like," especially from a hand-held device. I visit TC almost daily and go through most of the forums and topics when I visit, but frequently don't respond to posts because I don't want to clutter up the thread unless I feel like I have something of interest to offer.

When I look at the number of views and posts each topic receives, I note that the "New Members" topic is number one, followed by "Tiki Exotica." These topics have in their favor 1)longevity, and 2)nudity! So, since a topic about palm trees may not have much of a chance for longevity, I think we need to get a nekkid lady to stand next to that crazy palm tree in your pic. Then you'd get, like, 100,000 hits!

On 2012-03-22 10:09, KokoKele wrote:
I think we need to get a nekkid lady to stand next to that crazy palm tree in your pic. Then you'd get, like, 100,000 hits!

Your right, the palm tree thread needs a naked lady.

Now we should see some action!

DC

Yup, sex sells! Looks like those two boatsmen are gonna see some action, too! Mister Cajones, would you kindly reveal the origin of such dazzling imagery? (Sorry, it's just me again)

K

That's kind of an enigmatic piece. It has a sheen to it that indicates it's probably an oil painting, yet it looks like it's been folded, spindled and mutilated over time. Also, the young lady's hand placement and body posture indicate that she was originally painted leaning on something. It looks like traces of it still exist in the water. Perhaps some rocks? Also, it looks like there's been some extra work done around the chin of the beguiling maiden.

Anyway, I like it! It's a depiction of the myth of the South Pacific with nubile and willing maidens enticing sailors to unknown shores. The little man in the boat will soon be satisfied!

Looks like see had a boob job also.

Sharp eyes Koko & ATP! (now that we've derailed Ritchie's thread :D )

K

Geez, you're right, MadDog! Let's get this thing back on track!

Anybody know where you can find a naked lady with a cold hardy palm tree in Baltimore?

'Cause if you do, that's where I'm going!

T

On 2012-03-21 16:41, bigbrotiki wrote:
Well, even though the term "cold" does not apply (saw this near Pomona, CA), I nominate this baby for the "Hardy Palm of the Year" award!:

Neato!
Wishe we could grow hardwood palms here In Mukilteo.

We just have creepy madrona trees. Has anyone ever made a tiki from one of these?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbutus_menziesii

[ Edited by: thefuzz 2012-03-23 04:23 ]

[ Edited by: thefuzz 2012-03-23 04:24 ]

I hear they have lots of SWAMP CEADR up there, too? :wink:

And they seem to be well stocked with driftwood:

"It seems that I am proving my own prediction of Facebook being the pied piper of Tiki Centralites...R.I.P., TC?" -bigbrotiki-

Yes, Tiki Central is dead and it is largely because of Facebook. The problem is that the sites are virtually identical with much of the content on both being exactly the same. I'd even go so far as to say that the Facebook sections on historical and active Tiki joints are far superior to what Tiki Central has to offer, if not in format then definitely in content. The writing in those Facebook section is typical of most the writing on Facebook with a depth and attention to detail one would generally expect to see in a book. (Well, what one would have seen in a book had television not made books obsolete in the 1960s.)

Now back to cold hardy palms...When I was in L.A. I saw a type of palm tree which seemed to do well in all sorts of environments which would probably prove problematic for palms with a more particular nature. I don't know the names of these hardy palms but here's a picture of one:

Woof, that is called "Palmus celltoweris", I have one growing just down the road from me

Classic Woofmut humor, and a great shot of this classic local breed. Very hardy indeed.

Wow...that Seuss Palm is delightful...never seen anything like that before. I agree...a set of posed Wahine breastasis might acquire more hits.

Glad Woofster added that Urban palm...they are especially popular in So-Cal and I love them. In Nor-Cal we have the Urban Pine...while very nice, in my book not at all as fun as the Palm.

I have a fabulously Artificial Banana Palm in my lounge...live plants commit suicide at my house so Fake is best for me. Also have a giant Mediterranean Fan Palm in my master bedroom.

I planted 2 Queen Palms in my front yard 3 years ago and they haven't grown an inch. I don't think they like the soil which is hard clay in my neighborhood. I do have a couple of Sagos that have done well in a shady part of my front yeard. I also planted a Mediterranean and it did a hari kari last year.

Good luck richie6 in your search for a palm.

Pages: 1 26 replies