Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

San Diego Home Crawl, March 3

Pages: 1 2 3 129 replies

Inspired by the awesome Sacramento and South Bay annual home crawls that have recently taken place again, I'm organizing a tiki home crawl here in San Diego. Why should Nor Cal get to have all the fun? San Diego may not have great tiki bars, but we do have some amazing spaces hidden away in our homes. This a great opportunity to check out other people's collections, get inspiration for your own tiki space or inspire others with yours, and meet and hang out with some other tiki-loving San Diegans!

The crawl will take place Saturday, March 3, 2012. Each home will be open for 60 minutes (with 30 minutes allotted for travel time between each stop). Each host will provide a cocktail, a snack or two, and a nonalcoholic drink option while they let the rest of us ogle their tiki space. We have some really great homes lined up, and this will be an all-day event!

Crawling duties will include "ooo"ing and "aaah"ing appropriately, being a gracious guest, and having a good time. Please PM me with your name and your email address so you can be added to the Evite list. The crawl details (schedule and home addresses) will be sent when they're finalized to those who have said "yes" on the Evite.

Note that transportation will NOT be provided--crawlers will be responsible for driving themselves to each stop on the crawl, so please plan accordingly.

Thanks for your interest, and I hope that we can make our first San Diego home crawl a success!

Mahalo!
April

[ Edited by: SoCalTikiGal 2011-11-23 22:33 ]

[ Edited by: SoCalTikiGal 2011-12-03 08:52 ]

This is a great idea.....would love to attend!

Hoping to attend..sounds fun!

I know that Vista is not particularly close to central San Diego.... but if you would like to hang at my tiki bar for part of this crawl... let me know.

Its open to all of you.

Derek

If I can get the planets to align (meaning my dead ass and my general inability to get my place in order) I am interested in having some folks over to the Lava-Flow-Inn for this crawl idea. Derek, Vista is worth the trip judging by what I've seen of your place so far.

[ Edited by: Matt Reese 2011-11-27 19:51 ]

I've been looking for an excuse to see both Derek's and Matt's places

G
GROG posted on Sun, Nov 27, 2011 9:04 PM

GROG like this idea. GROG 2nd Monkeyman and Matt Reese visit.

Whattya mean excuse? Just get a hold of me, you're welcome anytime.

Thanks Matt :D

A

Cool! And about time! April, I sent you a PM

How exciting for you. In Sacramento, we found it fun to link up at our local favorite restaurant and also to stop by a local merchants to help support his selling of Tiki related inventory. We have done that a couple of times now and it was great. We also found we had to expand from 1 day to 3: Friday night, Saturday & Sunday. We made a claim on standing dates (second weekend in October) so folks would always know ahead of time to keep that time open or plan to have their place ready by then. Also very popular is the Tiki garage sale, everyone can participate and that helps folks that want to sell and also those interested in expanding their collections. Good luck with organizing April...you guys will have a blast (wish I was in town to do some gawking).

On 2011-11-27 19:21, Monkeyman wrote:
I know that Vista is not particularly close to central San Diego.... but if you would like to hang at my tiki bar for part of this crawl... let me know.

Its open to all of you.

Derek

Derek, although Vista isn't exactly San Diego proper, I'm sure we can work out a way to fit your place in!

On 2011-11-27 19:51, Matt Reese wrote:
If I can get the planets to align (meaning my dead ass and my general inability to get my place in order) I am interested in having some folks over to the Lava-Flow-Inn for this crawl idea. Derek, Vista is worth the trip judging by what I've seen of your place so far.

[ Edited by: Matt Reese 2011-11-27 19:51 ]

So, what can the rest of us do to get the planets to align correctly? It'd be great if we could include the Lave-Flow-Inn on the crawl!

T

I could get into the crawl spirit for this event - and finally meet some of you after some failed attempts. Count me and a guest in!

I'm afraid that the work will be mine alone. Don't worry, The Lava-Flow-Inn will be ready. I pm'd you. Please give me a ring.

Hmmm, sounds like fun. Plane tickets....

Sounds fun! I'll be there to assist...and ready to help with whatever you need...for crucial things like well designed name tags :wink: Excited and ready!

M

Is this going to be fun or What!
oops,forgot picture.

[ Edited by: Mariner 2011-12-13 12:38 ]

Is anybody interested in arranged transportation for this? I have a few friends who want to rent maybe a big van or small bus so nobody has to worry about drinking and driving. I'm fine with organizing it if I can get some people on board. Please message me if you're in so I can get a head count and start researching prices.

Thanks!
Marion

A

On 2011-12-14 12:44, marion-n-brad wrote:
Is anybody interested in arranged transportation for this? I have a few friends who want to rent maybe a big van or small bus so nobody has to worry about drinking and driving. I'm fine with organizing it if I can get some people on board. Please message me if you're in so I can get a head count and start researching prices.

Thanks!
Marion

Marion, great idea. But make sure to coordinate with April who started this thread. We don't want duplicate endeavors.

I organized a San Diego home crawl in 2005 as a prelude to our New Years Eve celebration. We used rental transport to keep everyone together and allow virtually all to drink.

It worked out well and most people who participated seemed to enjoy that format.

Here is a link to that event way back 5 years ago....

San Diego Home Crawl and New Years Eve 2005

[ Edited by: Monkeyman 2011-12-15 10:39 ]

Big thank-you to Marion for looking into a bus/van for anyone who may be interested. As a reminder, the crawl organizers will not be providing transportation between homes, so you will need to make your own arrangements (driving, carpooling, cab fare, etc). If you think that the bus/van is the best option for you and want to get in on what Marion is looking into, hit her up.

To give everybody some more info on where we'll be going (and a little hint about what we'll get to see), the time frame will be as follows:
noon-1:00: Derek/Monkeyman's South Pacific Room
2:00-3:00
3:30-4:30
5:00-6:00
6:30-7:30
8:00-midnight: Matt Reese's Lava-Flow-Inn

Monkeyman's South Pacific Room is in Vista--I know, I know, it's not technically San Diego, but it is definitely worth the trek. Vista is about 45 minutes north of central San Diego; if this is farther than you want to drive, no problem--feel free to skip it and join in the crawl at stop number 2 (back in SD). But be aware that if you do skip it, this is the awesomeness you'll be missing: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=35684&forum=20
This is the only stop on the crawl that isn't in San Diego proper.

For anyone still standing, Matt Reese will keep the party going until midnight at the Lava-Flow-Inn, which is more awesomeness:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=25372&forum=20&start=0
I'll provide the names of some motels in the vicinity of Matt's place, so if you're coming from out of town, or you live in town but aren't up for driving yourself home afterward, you'll know what's nearby.

I'm still finalizing which of the other four crawl stops will be in which time slot in between, but they're all within pretty short distance of each other (30 minutes will be more than enough time to get from house to house). More details to come.

Mahalo!
April

[ Edited by: SoCalTikiGal 2011-12-15 12:32 ]

M

I'd love to take part in this but unfortunately don't have a tiki bar setup at my current pad. Will all be welcome, including those without hosting abilities?

Sounds fantastic!

Edit: Just realized I'll be in Maui that weekend. Hope this becomes annual and I can host next year if the world doesn't end in Dec 2012.

[ Edited by: mahalomo 2011-12-19 16:28 ]

I'd love to come down for this. Very open to riding the bar crawl short bus. Let me know. If you've got the space I'll make the time.

Hey party people!
I have some quotes for tiki transportation in the form of two different options, from which I will pick a final one based on the number of responses.

A big, basic, churchy-style van runs $20-25/person.

We also found the Big Woody bus (photo), which is quite a bit more in price, but it’s a pretty cool option if enough people are into the idea. That will run about $47-50/person. The cool thing about that, besides the super surfy styling is the fact that we can drink on the bus between stops since it’s a chartered service.

I want to book either option the first week of February, so I would love some feedback as soon as possible!

Thanks everybody!
-Marion

awesome ride

On 2012-01-06 14:52, marion-n-brad wrote:
...The cool thing about that is the fact that we can drink on the bus between stops...

:lol: as if there won't be enough drinking at the stops! :lol:

UB

Hi Marion,
That bus looks really cool.

If you go the bus route, consider one with a restroom.
I went on a bar crawl(not TC)without one and OH BOY!, not a happy crowd. (Yes, they cost extra)
There's a certain Dennys restaraunt we crashed where we're not welcome back at. :D

Sooo? Who all is attending this thing? I've got figuring to do. Cleaning, preparing, mixing, heating etc.'ing. Do we have a list yet?

Unga Bunga plus 1. YEEEEEHAW!

Hey all! Just a month and a half away from the crawl--whoo hoo!

We have a really great variety of homes, ranging from full-on tiki rooms to tropical patios to vintage Hawaiiana decor. The final schedule of houses is as follows:
noon-1:00: Monkeyman's South Pacific Room
2:00-3:00: arriano's Hale Ka'a Tiki Lounge
3:30-4:30: Harry and Andrea
5:00-6:00: marion-n-brad's Lava Lounge
6:30-7:30: SoCalTikiGal
8:00-midnight: Matt Reese's Lava-Flow-Inn

The Evite will be sent this weekend, so watch your email and be sure to respond! The home addresses will be made available only to people who respond "yes" to the Evite--so if you're interested in joining us, make sure to PM me with your email address if you haven't done so already, so I can ensure you're included.

Can't wait to crawl with you all!

Mahalo,
April

[ Edited by: SoCalTikiGal 2012-01-12 21:27 ]

Is this open to anybody or just San Diego county people?

Jeff(btd)
OC area

Come on Jeff, you know anyone can attend.

even Me?
are you sure you want me there?
:wink:

just razzin',
and askin'

Jeff(btd)

Everybody is welcome, regardless of whether they live in San Diego or not. If you're willing to travel here, we're happy to have you!

If you are joining us from out of town and are looking for a place to stay (or if you do live in town but don't think you'll want to drive home), these two motels are near the last two crawl stops:
Super 8 Motel (stumbling distance) - http://www.super8.com/hotels/california/la-mesa/super-8-san-diego-area-la-mesa/hotel-overview?hotel_id=35727&propId=SE35727&brand_id=SE&modify=false
Best Western Lamplighter Inn (short cab ride) - http://www.lamplighter-inn.com/

I am in for the bus or van. I like the Woody Bus!

My girl lives in San Diego, so I should be there.

Looking forward to meeting some new people and seeing some great homes.

Natalie, you better get down there that weekend, too

On 2012-01-14 19:33, Tikitastic wrote:
I am in for the bus or van. I like the Woody Bus!

WooHoo!! I think this sounds like a great idea :)

TWO

Myself and Mrs. Won On will be there and would gladly pay for either bus option.

Post some pics of the places we will be visiting. A Little teaser if you will.

H

I'm in +3 for the bus! Such a relief....

On 2012-01-30 22:03, Derek Mitchell wrote:
Post some pics of the places we will be visiting. A Little teaser if you will.

I can help with that. I haven't visited any of these places but I have drooled over the pics :D

Here's MonkeyMan's South Seas Room in Vista, first stop on the list

Next is Arriano's Hale Ka'a Tiki Lounge (these may be old pictures, maybe Arriano will post some new ones)

Next, Harry and Andrea's (looking for pics)

Then Marion 'n Brad's Lava Lounge (looking for pics)

On to SoCalTikiGal's (looking for pics)

And finally to Matt Reese's Lava-Flow-Inn

Yee Haw...heading down to my Mom's in Lakeside, will be in town for the crawl. Only going to make it to one spot though with my Mom in tow. We're doing the Monkeyman's!!! I've got the address and am good to go.

A

On 2012-01-31 14:37, MadDogMike wrote:

Next is Arriano's Hale Ka'a Tiki Lounge (these may be old pictures, maybe Arriano will post some new ones)

Photos are fairly close to what it looks like now, although it's more "cluttered" these days. We're actually currently redoing the floor and giving the bar a good once over in preparation for March 3.

MH

I am Derek Mitchell's "girl" in San Diego and we will definitely be there ready to rock out with our...sarongs on!

Ok, we have decided to get a plain vanilla 15 passenger van because it will allow more flexibility, and we won't have to worry about the expense of not filling up the big woodie bus, time limits, driver gratuity etc. And we have 15 confirmed already, so i'm sorry if you didn't get your name on the list in time. The cost will be around $15 per person, and that should include gas. Marion and i will drive and one of us will be sober!
Here is the confirmed list. Please PM us if you are on the list and won't need the seat so we can give it up to someone else.

Marion
Brad
Mae
UngaBunga
TikiTastic
Tai Won On
Mrs Tai Won On
Luau Lilly
Mariner
Tiki Todd
Elliot
Luis
Tracy
Paul C.
John C.

Standy list
#1 Tiki Tiffy
#2 Tiki TIffy guest
#3 Woohoo Wahine
#4 SoccerTiki
#5 Miss Hell
#6 Derek
thanks~ Marion-n-Brad

[ Edited by: marion-n-brad 2012-02-03 17:03 ]

[ Edited by: marion-n-brad 2012-02-05 12:54 ]

TT

oh nooooo i missed the bus :o( just sent u a pm :o)

Who's got a ride for Jungle?

Pages: 1 2 3 129 replies