Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

SANDING, That Most hated job made EASY!

Pages: 1 13 replies

B

I use the Klingspor's spindle mounted "Mac Mop" to get into all those unreachable areas. They work like magic, are quick and easy, just stick it into a drill and use it on all your carvings from pendant sized to giant tiki size. It won't take away the details and does a great job.
DON'T go for the less expensive "Sanding stars" they will not work here!
" From Klingspor's.......
Many customers call and ask "How do I sand a profile without changing the shape?" Well, our Sanding Mop Kit is the answer. Ask woodworkers from across the country and they will tell you that this is the very best contour sanding system on the market today. We have taken our most flexible aluminum oxide cloth, added lubricants and special resins and made the ideal product for profile sanding.You'll be amazed at the time you will save and the finish in which you can achieve. Set up of the mops is simple. We have also added the widest selection of mandrels in the woodworking market so that you can build that perfect sanding mop for your specific profile sanding needs. Build your mops to the width and flexibility of your choice by adding or taking away sleeves. This is a must have for all woodworking shops, get your KLINGSPOR GOLD Sanding Mop Kits today."

Pack of 48 sheets
Does not include mandrel
http://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/mm07102/

http://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/fs36080/]

FACEBOOK

P

I was actually fortunate enough to see this thing in action at Benz's place, and it literally did in one or two minutes what it would have taken me 20 minutes by hand. It was awesome.

Glad you posted this Benz. I was so inundated with new information that day (I left there with smoke coming out of my ears) that I had actually forgotten about this one. I need to buy a couple so I can bust out some more cedar stuff.

A

Benz,

You should consider writing a book or making a video series. I'm not kidding!

Thanks for the tip Ben, what grit do you use on your work?

T

Good tip. I'll have to try it. I have used other similar "flap wheel" type sanding wheels. They no work so good.

B

I use the 100, 120, 220,and the 320.
If you use the finer grits on the rough surface it only polishes the rough surface and dulls the wheel/mop.

Hi,
So I'm about ready to pull the trigger on one of these kits, does anyone use these mops? are they worth it? How long does one last?
I should think about getting 3 different grits I guess.
Is there something better?

I'm a new carver and I'm confused...

A
amate posted on Fri, Sep 20, 2013 4:27 PM

I got both the 80 grit flap wheel and the mops in 100, 120, and 150 grit. The flap wheel (80 grit) did not last too as long as the ones you can get at Lowe's or Home Depot. I believe the brand name is "Gator" The 80 grit is still handy because the Gators only come in 50 grit I believe. I have used the mops with good success and will stay with this method until I find something better. I just wish the mops came in 80 grit. If you sand as much as you can get by with by hand these mops will last a good while. My100 grit mop is worn out and I will definitely reorder. I have several tools recommend by Benzart and have not been disappointed.

C
cy posted on Fri, Sep 20, 2013 4:29 PM

TRW, I bought one when I read about it here on this thread but didn't think it was all that good. It might be just me but I would save the money. My favorite sander is the small triangular mouse type which I use all the time.

Thanks for the feedback gang,
What about these,

has anyone used one of these things before?

Gaaaa! I hate shopping online! sometimes I need to hold the thing in my hand to decide on something.

[ Edited by: TravnerRavenweird 2013-09-20 16:53 ]

On 2013-09-20 16:29, cy wrote:
My favorite sander is the small triangular mouse type which I use all the time.

So is that the little black and decker guy? I've seen those before, I can see that point coming in handy.

On 2013-09-20 16:27, amate wrote:
I just wish the mops came in 80 grit. If you sand as much as you can get by with by hand these mops will last a good while

I'm looking at an 80 grit mop refill right now on the website from the link above, $19.95.

So, "last a good while", about how many 5-ish foot tall tikis is that? Lol.

I just thought of another thing, If I went this way, should I get the 4" or the 6" mop?

Dang. This decision isn't being made today, finger is off the trigger.

[ Edited by: TravnerRavenweird 2013-09-20 17:21 ]

I have an 80 grit mop. 3 of them stacked.
It's a monster. I haven't used it too much
because I'm afraid it will rub the carving clean off,
It's a monster. I used it on my latest palm carve
& it did what it's called to do, & well.
The 300 grit would be a better choice for, for
example, the muddlers I just finished.
In the right app. it works real good.

B

On 2013-09-20 16:51, TravnerRavenweird wrote:
Thanks for the feedback gang,
What about these,

has anyone used one of these things before?

Gaaaa! I hate shopping online! sometimes I need to hold the thing in my hand to decide on something.

[ Edited by: TravnerRavenweird 2013-09-20 16:53 ]

Edited to add this link.
http://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/fs32080/
These work well but they tend to polish the parts that need sanding off and not removing thosebits. They are good AFTER you sand and get the surface smoothe.
Believe me, I have tried just about every way other than hand to sand carvings and Nothing I have found beats these mops. My first mistake was only getting the 320 grit as I was afrait it would remove detail. While it did some excellent sanding, it polished too and I wore out the mop pretty quickly. Then I got the other grits and that was before they had the 80 grit, so I've not used the 80 yet but the 100 grit does Not remove any detail on any carvings I have put it to. The regular "Flap wheels" are a different animal and WILL remove detail and leave deep lines in your work if not careful.
The triangle sanders are good IF you get a good brand, the cheaper brands don't work well. My only issue with these is you still can't get into all the small crevices of detail and they will remove a lot more than you want if not careful. Also like hand sanding you must go over every little piece of wood for it to work.
I use many different implements for sanding on any one piece but every piece I do in wood and even jade gets hit with the sanding mop and I can't say that about any other tool.

FACEBOOK

[ Edited by: Benzart 2013-09-21 07:05 ]

Well I'm going to take another look at this then, but after I've gotten my big guy to a place where is becomes necessary.
I've got to make some headway with the blades first before I get ahead of myself with the sanding toys. Now the trick is figuring out what knives and gouges will be most useful so I can start sinking my money in to those one at a time...

Thanks again for all the feedback guys, it's been very helpful!

Pages: 1 13 replies