Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Website about shrunken heads

Pages: 1 11 replies

S

Whilst reading a thread on another website i'm a member of, i came across this link about shrunken heads. The pictures are fairly small but if you click on them most of them will come up slightly larger. They are photos of real shrunken heads, so just a warning if you're squeamish.

http://www.angelfire.com/id2/tower7/jivaro.htm

G
Gsc posted on Sat, Feb 22, 2014 3:04 AM

Cool sight.

I'm a new member but have always lived a "tiki" lifestyle. One of my passions is collecting Sideshow Gaffs- many pf these items can overlap into Tiki Decorating/Collecting. Pictured is a replica Maori Head, "Blackbeard's Booger", a few of my Shrunken Heads and one of my Feegee Mermaids.

Just wanted to share.

If you're ever on eBay, do a key word seach for "sideshow gaffs" ...every now and then really nice Feegee Mermaids pop up (currently a good one of there)... there's some good shrunken head replicas (utilizing real human hair)... and other goodies.

Graham

G
Gsc posted on Sat, Feb 22, 2014 3:08 AM

Here's a clearer pics of my replica Shrunken Heads (out of their glass domes)!

Being a newbie, when I went to do my first post it was suggested that I look for an existing post... hopefully I'm doing this right and not hijacking someone elses post!

Graham

G
Gsc posted on Sat, Feb 22, 2014 3:13 AM

Here's a close up (from the artist) of a few of the heads in my last group post (much better than my iPhone pics)

TT

On 2014-02-22 03:08, Gsc wrote:
Here's a clearer pics of my replica Shrunken Heads (out of their glass domes)!

Being a newbie, when I went to do my first post it was suggested that I look for an existing post... hopefully I'm doing this right and not hijacking someone elses post!

Graham

How did you get Dee Dee Ramone to let you shrink his head? (bottom pic for those not in the know)

Those are fantastic replicas! Where did you get them? Do you make them?

G
Gsc posted on Sat, Feb 22, 2014 9:05 AM

Hello TikiTacky,

They are from a few different "gaff" artists. There's a handful of artists out there that make 'em from time to time...playing close detail to skin texture, using real human hair, etc. Keep an eye on eBay using the key words "sideshow gaff" or "shrunken head". They look MUCH more realistic than the common goat skin tourists heads. Price ranges normally from ~$145-$400 ea. Compared to the coast of a REAL head ($5000 +).

Graham

What a great way to introduce yourself to the Tiki Central Ohana. I will always picture you this way!
Dan is boxing up your severed head as I type. Wendy

G
Gsc posted on Sat, Feb 22, 2014 10:21 AM

Thank you Wendy! I wasn't sure if new members were encouraged to make a introductory post or not---from what I saw, everyone seems big on posting like minded things in related threads instead of starting a new thread. I feel bad at kinda hi-jacking Swizzle's thread but the link provided is a pretty good one on shrunken heads.

This site has a wealth of info on it! I'm still going through all the older pages!

Looking forward to the severed head!!!!!!

Graham

Great stuff, but I can't help but noticing they all seem to have British Invasion haircuts! :D

S

You haven't hi-jacked my thread at all Gsc. You've done exactly the right thing, used the search button to find a thread that already covers the topic you are looking for and given it a bump so that people who may have missed it the first time can discover something new.

Even if the thread is old and some of the information might not be relevant anymore it's much better to add to that thread as opposed to starting a new one and clogging up the forum. It can be interesting to read what may have been said several years ago and whether it still applies to today and if/how things might have changed.

Great contribution for your first few posts and welcome to TC.

I am quite fond of my Shrunken Head from Thor. I used to keep it in the Tiki Lounge but when Corona Contessa came over to play cards, she said it jinxed her. I moved it to my "Out of Africa" master bath and he is very happy there.
Edit...forgot to say...welcome to TC Gsc.

[ Edited by: VampiressRN 2014-02-22 22:52 ]

Pages: 1 11 replies