Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Is forum activity decreasing?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 312 replies

"Is the tiki revival movement coming to an end?"

Is this thread ever coming to an end?

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2011-12-26 10:22 ]

waaaaiiit, Tiki is not going anywhere. It's here to stay this time. It's very interesting, multifaceted, and the history is fascinating. Now this thread can die.

W

This thread might die but others more or less just like it will rise up to take its place.

What is the scope of the "Tiki Revival" today 2011

Have We Just Experienced the Latest Wave of a Tiki Resurgence, and resulting Devolution? 2011

Tiki Central Burnout after the Oasis? 2004

What's Changed On Tiki Central? 2003

As for the original question of this thread "Is the tiki revival movement coming to an end?" here's another thread pondering rumors of death...

The End of the Shag Era? Officially un-cool? Afraid so. 2003

F

I don't think the Tiki revival is coming to an end. I think it's just leveled off. That's fine. There was/is still alot of tiki trash out there, but it seems to be going away. What fun would it be if it wasn't just a bit under the radar? Would you still like it if it was mainstream? I don't think so.

S

Well, there's hope. There is a tiki mug in the latest Taco Bell commercial...

"What fun would (Tiki) be if it wasn't just a bit under the radar? Would you still like it if it was mainstream?" -foamy-

That question sounds familiar...

Would you prefer Tiki as 'mainstream' or 'underground'? 2004

TM

Thread title changed so people don't flip out on me.

On 2011-12-27 12:35, Swanky wrote:
Well, there's hope. There is a tiki mug in the latest Taco Bell commercial...

:lol:

W

"Thread title changed so people don't flip out on me." -lucas vigor-

If you check the little box that says ENABLE TIME MACHINE you can retroactively prevent flip outs that have already happened.

Not if I can help it!
But Neural activity to my brain may be decreasing

:lol: :lol: :lol: and a :drink:

Could it be related to decreasing sexual activity with TC members?
we are getting old, or just to drunk to.....well you know what I mean.

It could be the booze.

H
hoody posted on Wed, Dec 28, 2011 1:26 AM

On 2011-12-27 14:04, lucas vigor wrote:

Lucas - a terrific title for the thread, even if you renamed it.

I've been a lurker for many years, and it wasn't until your original thread was posted, and I was somewhat incensed at the suggestion that tiki was dying, that I started to contribute to the forum.

As a result, I've been richly rewarded: I've enjoyed the banter - although I must admit that many of you are banter with such familiarity that it is intimidating :) - and I've also made contact with some really cool tikiphiles.

I've enjoyed contact with some really cool artists...I'm not artistic at all; and I've been enthused with the support to I've received to promote the tiki culture (as we know it) to the new Mocktail Crowd.

As a result of your thread, I've been rewarded with much support for my Tiki NYE party for 40 odd kids, and we will induct many young enthusiast to our 'Cause'. My thanks to all those that have helped...

So, in answer to the new title of the post, you've at least got me contributing and a few others, so well done to you.

Although, I notice that few people actually give you compliments online, and prefer to offer you (well deserved?) criticism. Perhaps I don't yet understand the banter. Are compliments misplaced?

Sincerest Regs

Hoody
(from Aussie)

RB

what part of Aussie are you from? I'm down in Tasmania. Loving the vibe from this stuff, but most of all loving the home bars on this site and the cool tiki mugs. Ordered some mugs on Ebay, will order more but the postage is through the roof!!!! Will have to hit up some op shops soon, see what I can find.

TM

On 2011-12-28 01:26, hoody wrote:

On 2011-12-27 14:04, lucas vigor wrote:

Although, I notice that few people actually give you compliments online, and prefer to offer you (well deserved?) criticism. Perhaps I don't yet understand the banter. Are compliments misplaced?

Sincerest Regs

Hoody
(from Aussie)

Most people think I am indeed, an ass.

But I do love Tiki, and have since I was a kid!

J

I like Lucas.

We even started our our own separate shadow organization within TC.

(Because the Tiki pot ain't gonna stir itself) :)

But here's our 2012 New Year's Tiki Resolution: More Content, Less Bilge.

"Ask not what Tiki can do for you, Ask what you can do for Tiki".

UPDATE - Lucas we're still in the General Forum here. Your following post is an example of what belongs in Bilge...

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2011-12-28 09:40 ]

TM

This thread has so much win!

Well Tiki was alive and well Monday at Don's
And Lucas was there!

So if more people start posting, 2012 might be a good Tiki year.

P.S. The world is not coming to and end, That's a bet I would take
So resolutions for 2012, Support your local Tiki Bar & get more verbal on TC.

H
hoody posted on Wed, Dec 28, 2011 1:13 PM

On 2011-12-28 06:50, Rum Belly wrote:
what part of Aussie are you from? I'm down in Tasmania. Loving the vibe from this stuff, but most of all loving the home bars on this site and the cool tiki mugs. Ordered some mugs on Ebay, will order more but the postage is through the roof!!!! Will have to hit up some op shops soon, see what I can find.

Hey Rum Belly

We're in Torquay - yup, postage from States is prohibitive and not much comes on local ebay for Aussie Tikiphiles. Haha - we've probably been bidding against each other.

Haven't found too much at local markets, but my Old-Cheeze found three mugs in Tweed Heads: Two tiki-farm originals and and Old Ku Mug from the 60s. All up, $3 well spent. Hopefully you have better luck in Tassie...

Had to import a couple of volcano bowls from States - have looked for years in Aus with no luck - and most of the ambience in our bar/garden is from hand made artefacts.

Killed more palms than anyone could believe in the cold climate, but generous use of Mediterranean Palms has worked sooo well.

Being a tikiphile in the colder southern states of Aust takes some real commitment and inventiveness :)

On 2011-12-23 08:08, lucas vigor wrote:
Well, since this thread seemed to get everyone's panties in a twist, I won't bother you all anymore.

It was an innocent, idle question posted during a bored moment. The thread was not intended to inflame or cause controvery, but it caused even people I thought were cool to turn on me and dress me down in public. Nice. At least I know how you all feel about me.

Adios.

Lucas - here you go again - getting mad. If it's not your dislike for the Beatles or your stand on smoking - it's always something. But in the end, you get mad, delete your previous posts, and take your ball and glove back home.

Try something different. Stay and hold your ground. If you truly believe in what your are saying, hold your ground.

TM

Telescopes, I get what you are saying....but I have also learned, that sometimes to get by in life, you can't actually say what you REALLY think. You end up making enemies. I have enough people that dislike me as it is. I don't need to add more!

I would love to say how much I seriously hate the Beatles and all music like it....but you know what? Saying so causes a shitstorm of epic, biblical porportions! And next thing you know, you are getting boycotted by people such as Squid. Who needs the grief? So in a nutshell, sometimes it is more "prudent" to sugarcoat how one feels, and even say something like "Oh, the beatles are not so bad, just not my favorite band", instead of what I want to say, which is "I would like to crush them because they killed Tiki and Lounge culture and replaced it with dirty, smelly, long haired hippies"!!

See how that works?

:)

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2011-12-28 14:51 ]

Why you gotta dis the long hairs? HA HA Because you ain't got none? Just kidding fucker!!

Yeah, don't dis the long hairs. I make ton's of custom knee pads for the stoners of America. Spermy is a stand up guy, too.

On 2011-12-28 14:50, lucas vigor wrote:
Telescopes, I get what you are saying....but I have also learned, that sometimes to get by in life, you can't actually say what you REALLY think. You end up making enemies. I have enough people that dislike me as it is. I don't need to add more!

I would love to say...Oh, the beatles ....I would like to crush them because they killed Tiki and Lounge culture and replaced it with dirty, smelly, long haired hippies"!!

See how that works?

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2011-12-28 14:51 ]
[/quote

Ha, ha, ha..... I really am laughing. I guess the last two posts tell us how that worked.

I can't imagine that the patrons of Don's in the early 30's sat around the table only saying 'respectful' things. After a couple of Zombies, I am sure some real zingers were let loose at each other.

Seriously, Lucas, I really love your posts....

Really, I am just goofing off. Mr. Vigor knows me well. I am just tugging his chain :wink:

TM

You got to figure some of those 50's era conversations were far raunchier then hollywood ever portrayed! Can you imagine hanging out with some of the marx brothers? Now that would be a hoot!

Spermy.....long hair, or short hair, you are a total rockstar!

Oh My!

TM

chuck my man!

I usually just stink like a SparVarnish, Minwax or burned lumber. Sometimes a little foot action. :)

Erik the Red

TM

Crikey! Me TOO!

(But for a different and more sinister reason) :)

Now you boys, Good grooming is the key to looking smart!
if you want to keep the ladies around, you got to look smart.

H
hoody posted on Thu, Dec 29, 2011 2:59 AM

On 2011-12-28 14:50, lucas vigor wrote:
Telescopes, I get what you are saying....but I have also learned, that sometimes to get by in life, you can't actually say what you REALLY think. Who needs the grief? So in a nutshell, sometimes it is more "prudent" to sugarcoat how one feels.... [ Edited by: lucas vigor 2011-12-28 14:51 ]

Lucas

Love your diplomacy man... 90,000 tons of it !

On 2011-12-28 08:59, JOHN-O wrote:
I like Lucas.

We even started our our own separate shadow organization within TC.

(Because the Tiki pot ain't gonna stir itself) :)

Or smoke it self
:wink:

funny,
to me nothing is more Hippy, or Buffet than smoking weed,
yet I know some tiki people that hate buffet heads and longhairs,
but smoke weed like there is no tomorrow.
oh the Irony.

Jeff(btd)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2011-12-29 17:21 ]

TM

Jeff, I think your favorite band is Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-m UK!

Do you want me to call the whaaaaaaaaaaaa-bulance for ya!

um no, why?
:roll:

did my last post bother you?
hit to close to home?

Jeff(btd)

J

:-?

J

On 2011-12-29 17:19, bigtikidude wrote:

funny,
to me nothing is more Hippy, or Buffet than smoking weed,
yet I know some tiki people that hate buffet heads and longhairs,
but smoke weed like there is no tomorrow.
oh the Irony.
Jeff(btd)

I agree, better to be drunk than stoned. Tiki is BAR CULTURE !!

Just ask Chuck

(No, not that Chuck) :)

TM

Now,did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed this afternoon, jeff?

Man, if I didn't know you, I would have YOU pegged as a stoner! You definitely got the look! I could totally see you at Burning man or Bonaroo, hitting that Djembe and partaking of edibles as you keep talking about how cool your fave bands Phish and The Other Ones are!

Sheesh dude! Must you put everything into words?

Chill, relax, smoke em' if you got 'em....I PROMISE I will go to Don's more. There, you happy?

I'm fine.
yer the one gettin' all uppity.

you should never stereotype people.

Just because you like Jazz, does that mean you shoot Heroin?

I think its you needs to learn to be less judgmental.

chill indeed.

breathing deep works well I heard.
but just air, nothing else.
that other stuff, actually raises blood pressure in the end.

Jeff(btd)

TM

On 2011-12-29 17:49, bigtikidude wrote:

Mostly.

On 2011-12-29 17:51, lucas vigor wrote:

On 2011-12-29 17:49, bigtikidude wrote:

Mostly.

Finally a strait answer,
and not an angry retort.
thanks

Jeff(btd)

TM

Who said I was angry?

I will let you in on a secret, though. Often, I engage in heavy troll activity over at the Buffet forum. Oh man! Great times! Half those posts about android tablets and Nokia phones are mine!

so this thread is you trolling?

Jeff(btd)

TM

uh, yeah Jeff. I do it just to piss you off.

http://www.buffettworld.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=33

I'm not pissed off,
but I think that some of the people that chimed in on this thread might be.
especially if it was just you trolling to get reactions out of people.

I think its funny, and a little sad.

Jeff(btd)

TM

Well, I wasn't. Now please just leave it alone.

TM

Which one....me? Or Him?

http://www.buffettnews.com/forum/

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 312 replies