Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Is forum activity decreasing?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 312 replies

C
Cammo posted on Wed, Dec 21, 2011 7:06 PM

"... at the Viva Las Vegas car show last year I heard some rockabilly people complaining that all that tiki stuff around was diluting real rockabilly... "

I'm still laughing at this! And it's true!

G
GROG posted on Wed, Dec 21, 2011 7:10 PM

B. Ben, are you going to resurrect Magoomba at Electric Tiki?

One thing is for sure, This thread kicked a little life into TC
for a few days.

On 2011-12-21 11:19, Creative Chimp wrote:

i personally think face book is evil! look what mayhem its causes....do people really think they have 325 friends? honestly?

I'm the only person left that refuses to join the face book herd.......as for this sites dropping attendance?

k

Chuck Tatum is Tiki, John O, Jonpaul, and myself are not on Facebook.
welcome to the anti-club.

Yup!

J

On 2011-12-21 21:44, bigtikidude wrote:
Chuck Tatum is Tiki, John O, Jonpaul, and myself are not on Facebook.

welcome to the anti-club.

"It's not my imagination, I got a gun at my back."

Sorry for the derail (but this thread was born derailed !!)

What's this book of faces you guys keep talking about?

All I know is that MY tiki bar...Taki tiki Room is now open in my basement after about 7 years of planning and collecting...tiki ain't dead for me...just starting!

On 2011-12-22 08:46, TikiFramer wrote:
All I know is that MY tiki bar...Taki tiki Room is now open in my basement after about 7 years of planning and collecting...tiki ain't dead for me...just starting!

Oh yes...and you can find the TAKI TIKI ROOM on Facebook!

And The Storm Shelter is on FB as well as Brevard Tiki...

And speaking as a software person, I often tell people that yes, FB is programmed by monkeys. Their problem is that development is driven by the marketing department. Marketing comes up with a way to make money and then they tell the engineers to do it. As opposed to someone like Google, who has engineers come up with cool stuff and then they let the marketing department figure out how to "monetize" it.

But that being said, Facebook, like TikiCentral, is a tool, an imperfect tool. So you need to learn the strengths of FB and maximize them while minimizing the weaknesses. I've been able to get more people into "the scene" with FB by just saying "Look up Brevard Tiki on Facebook" than I ever got referring people to TikiCentral.

It takes effort to keep in touch with people and contribute to a group. Im not sure about everyone else here but I dont think Ive ever known a group of people this large for this many years ever in my life. How many of us stay in touch with 50+ people from High School... or the old neighborhood? Ive known most of the tiki folks here for almost 7 - 8 years.... thats a long time for me. Lots of change both good and bad. People have married... divorced... died... kids... sickness.. injury...wealth, bankruptcy, job loss etc etc. The baggage of life grows.

In the 80's and 90's there just wasnt an easy way to do it. Write letters to all the people you know updating them on the details of your life? Call them all up on the phone periodically to maintain contact with them? I doubt it.

The early days of this forum were a totally new experience for me. The ability to see what 50 - 100 people YOU KNOW are doing on any given weekend.. what their opinion is on a peice of art or a social topic.

Knowing so many people by name.... seeing them at events on both coasts of the country and saying Hi like its no big deal even though you are 3000 miles from home. It was all amazing for me.

Finding people that I thought were alot like me or had much in common with me. Eventually the honeymoon period wears off. People who want to dislike eachother FIND reasons and ways to dislike eachother. Factions form.. people break off into their own groups.

Eventually the pure fantasy and fun of tiki is saddled with the reality of how people change and behave.

I still enjoy it and love the decor in my home. Its just been a change of priorities for me.

On 2011-12-22 10:09, Monkeyman wrote:
Eventually the pure fantasy and fun of tiki is saddled with the reality of how people change and behave...the honeymoon period wears off...

Yup, wise words. When I hear (read) some of that bickering here, it reminds me of The Honeymooners...or perhaps "The Bickersons"?

The Bickersons was a radio comedy sketch series that began in 1946 on NBC, moving the following year to CBS where it continued until 1951. The show's married protagonists, portrayed by Don Ameche and Frances Langford, spent nearly all their time together in relentless verbal war.

On 2011-12-22 10:09, Monkeyman wrote:
It takes effort to keep in touch with people and contribute to a group. Im not sure about everyone else here but I dont think Ive ever known a group of people this large for this many years ever in my life. How many of us stay in touch with 50+ people from High School... or the old neighborhood? Ive known most of the tiki folks here for almost 7 - 8 years.... thats a long time for me. Lots of change both good and bad. People have married... divorced... died... kids... sickness.. injury...wealth, bankruptcy, job loss etc etc. The baggage of life grows.

In the 80's and 90's there just wasnt an easy way to do it. Write letters to all the people you know updating them on the details of your life? Call them all up on the phone periodically to maintain contact with them? I doubt it.

The early days of this forum were a totally new experience for me. The ability to see what 50 - 100 people YOU KNOW are doing on any given weekend.. what their opinion is on a peice of art or a social topic.

Knowing so many people by name.... seeing them at events on both coasts of the country and saying Hi like its no big deal even though you are 3000 miles from home. It was all amazing for me.

Finding people that I thought were alot like me or had much in common with me. Eventually the honeymoon period wears off. People who want to dislike eachother FIND reasons and ways to dislike eachother. Factions form.. people break off into their own groups.

Eventually the pure fantasy and fun of tiki is saddled with the reality of how people change and behave.

I still enjoy it and love the decor in my home. Its just been a change of priorities for me.

It is pretty amazing that this particular community actually gets together beyond the cyberspace of TC at actual physical meetings.. .this carries through to facebook.
I can honestly say that most of the people I hang out with now I met thru this forum. Yes, sometimes as true colors surface, some friendships do end, but that's life.
So, maybe facebook is just pickup up where the limitations of TC leaves off. Not bad , just different.
I know as a resource, TC is just awesome....it will always serve that purpose better than anything else on the internet.

What I had actually found myself missing about TC were all the crazy posts from the likes of Little Lost Tiki, Sabu and woofmutt. I see woofmutt has been active lately (good) but I really like the bilge section a lot here. Too bad most of it is the photo caption thread.

But in the spirit of mindless pap.....

...wouldn't Jeff Trainor (ICarly) be the prefect person to play Jack Tripper should they ever reboot "three's company"?

and I just saw the trailer for the Hobbit. Should be out soon. Thank god for Weta!

and Woofmutt's mice are pretty cool, but I prefer White Lion (Grog's favorite band)

"Is the tiki revival movement coming to an end?"
It better not be,I've got a whole warehouse ful of this crap.

W

You might have to wait for the revival revival.

M

Tiki are not a Lie!

Long live Tiki!

McTiki

N
NOTCH posted on Thu, Dec 22, 2011 5:18 PM

"Is the tiki revival movement coming to an end?"
I think the Mayan Calender might have some clues, let me check..

[ Edited by: NOTCH 2011-12-23 09:05 ]

"Is the tiki revival movement coming to an end...here on Tiki Central?"

Well, with posts like your last one, Lucas, you're surely working on it. "Hey, I have so much spare time on my hands everyday, let's go onto Tiki Central, where aimless babble and personal quibble rules over subject-related content ! Who cares as long as it's FUNNY!"

HJ

Does it matter if the "revival" is over? As so many eloquent statements have been made here and so many neurons stimulated, 'am joining the group-oid which one or some or all:

• Enjoys Tiki, has for a long time, will continue to
  • Enjoys Tiki Central, visits and sometimes comments, will continue doing so
  • Enjoys Tiki art, looks at it on TC and has a bit
  • Is occasionally trying own hand at Tiki art in varied forms
  • Has a Tiki "bar" (actually, Tiki-theme music room) which is a sanctuary and used daily-plus
  • Owns a gob of Tiki books and enjoys them
  • Subscribes to Tiki Magazine
  • Purchases lounge and exotica music

Waiting for the great hordes to tire of Facebook (get bored), which they will. If you think TC takes a lot of effort....
(no, am not on FB; personal time is more valuable than that)

On 2011-12-22 18:06, bigbrotiki wrote:
"Is the tiki revival movement coming to an end...here on Tiki Central?"

Well, with posts like your last one, Lucas, you're surely working on it. "Hey, I have so much spare time on my hands everyday, let's go onto Tiki Central, where aimless babble and personal quibble rules over subject-related content ! Who cares as long as it's FUNNY!"

Human Nature, Sven
Can only hope it is really funny, Life that is.

RIP MUGOOMBA!!!!!!!!

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150528564726240.425379.679291239&type=1&l=02affeb4bc

Yes. You must look at the pics on Facebook.

My hands are sore to post the pics here. ( for now)

Who ever built that thing built it too good.

Pain in the ass taking it down today.

ChEeRs!!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Fun for you!
http://www.facebook.com/bambooben

[ Edited by: revbambooben 2011-12-23 19:13 ]

Ahhh, I'm not on smashfacebook, can't see em....
you a funny guy Ben! still a bit sad to see Mugoomba go, will any part of it
be resurrected?

On 2011-12-22 20:56, Chuck Tatum is Tiki wrote:
Ahhh, I'm not on smashfacebook, can't see em....
you a funny guy Ben!

then you must wait. ( the OLD way :)

A

re: Is the tiki revival movement coming to an end?

All I can say is it's about time!!

For far too long the tiki revival has dwelled on teeth - big giant incisors at that. :down:

I never did really get what's so attractive about big teeth, especially when there are so many other body parts that are more exotic, alluring, or funny. I, for one, say that the time is ripe that the tiki revival would finally come to focus on the END. :down:

After reaching a certain point of maturity in a subject area, it comes time to get to the BOTTOM of things, the essence of how the artform was conceived and REARED. I don't think it should BUM anyone out that the tiki MOVEMENT is ready to leave BEHIND the days of our less sophisticated past, or the passing thrills of amassing BOOTY.

Indeed, as we reach the TAIL of the year 2011, reflecting BACK on the highlights, it is another great time to be thankful for TC, which provides us all an enormous TRUNK where we can store our memories for POSTERITY. I gladly ASSert that our future is bright, and I embrace it with a lusty kiss on BOTH CHEEKS!

OKOLE MALUNA!

-Randy

[ Edited by: aquarj 2012-01-02 21:33 ]

Every culture goes through cycles of expansion and contraction. If it didn't it would never evolve or survive, it would only grow stagnant and die. It's up to people like those found here to keep the fire lit as it were.

Personally,tiki hasn't changed much from when I started to buy the ticket and take the ride. Due to my location and recent job issues, I've had to miss out on a lot, but that doesn't mean my interest has waned any. Since I can't buy a house now, I acquired limited permission from my landlord to converted a room into a lounge. It won't be the place I've been planning on in my head, but at least I will finally have my own little corner of tiki love. I guess my point is that right now it may seem that tiki is at a low point, but if you adapt, and put as much into it as you wish to get out of it, it will always have a home.

G
GROG posted on Thu, Dec 22, 2011 10:42 PM

Lucas like to stir pot.

He puts a title "Is the Tiki Revival Coming to an End?" when it would have been more aptly titled "Is it dead around here or is it just me?" or something more to the point of where it is about is original intent of the thread which is about Tiki Central posting and not about the REVIVAL itself.

The "TIKI REVIVAL" is still going strong. We've got Hukilau, Tiki Oasis, Tiki Caliente, Mojave Oasis, Ohana by the Lake, an Annual Tiki party in Texas. There's even a Tiki Drive-In theater decorated by Tiki Diablo.

There are more and more Tiki artists and carvers and the quality of art is high caliber.

How many people are making Tiki mugs and bowls now compared to 5 years ago? How many VINTAGE MUGS have the same caliber of sculpting, design color. etc. as mugs made now by the likes of Bai, Crazy Al, Bowana, Babalu, Squid, Gecko, Notch, Wendy Cevola, Van Tiki,Munktiki, Tiki Farm etc, etc, etc.

We've got a nice variety of music including Hapahaole, Lounge, Hulabilly, Surf, etc.,etc.

New bars being built ----in houses as well as commercial bars like Tiki No and the one in Australia. The Tonga Hut just got a new "old style" facelift and a new partner, Queen Kamehameha who also brought us Mojave Oasis which continues to grow and improve. This last Tiki Wonderland/Grand Opening at the beginning of December was a new record one-day earning for the bar since Jeremy has owned it. Seems like all the other tiki Bars down here in SoCal are going strong. Purple Orchid, Don the Beachcomber, Trader Vics downtown, Tiki Ti, Tiki No, etc. as well as the restaurants such as Bahooka, and Damon's.

The better quality of rums is leading to a better quality of drinks and we have so many people that are just great Tiki drink mixologists. Tiki Ti has always been great, but the Tonga Hut has worked hard to improve it's drinks and now has original drinks on the menu by Hiphipahula, PiPhiRho,Lisa-Marie, Atomikitty, and etc. If you go to any party by Spermy, Bongofury,or Polypop, there isn't a single bad drink by any of the guest bartenders. Tasting all the different drinks at room crawls at the Tiki events is one of the biggest hilites of the event.

You see more and more tikis, mugs and bars in movies, TV shows and cartoons. Check out out Good Vibes on the MTV website.

Kirby's Rumpus Room has been going strong for how many years now?

We have a Tiki Magazine that managed to survive a divorce that nearly brought it to an end. It hilites artists, musicians, builders, mugmakers,Tiki bars, homebars, events etc. as well as the history of tiki.
And, speaking of Tiki history, TIKI MODERN is a fairly new book by Bigbro who authored The Book of Tiki. Both books being a treasure trove of eye candy and information for the Tiki enthusiast.

And on the internet, we've got websites such as Tiki Central, Critiki, Ooga Mooga, The Swank Pad (www.swankpad.org/), etc.

Lots of fringe culture enthusiasts with interests towards tiki, such as Kar Kulture/Rockabilly, Vintage, Mid Century Modern, Pin Up/Burlesque, Parrot Heads, Surf, Hawaiiana, Pirate/Nautical, Enchanted Tiki room, low brow art.

And just how big is this SHAG guy?

Tiki Diablo, Bosko, Bamboo Ben, Crazy Al, Tiki Farm, Munktiki, Gecko, etc. Some of the first artists to start this Tiki Revival still continue producing today and their art has grown as the revivall has grown, and their art continues to inspire new artists as well as old. Bob and Leroy of Oceanic Arts. They've been here from the beginning. Pioneers of the first Tiki movement and still carrying the torch strong. The strongest leaders are not always the loudest guys out in front of the crowd making all the noise and getting all the attention. (Damn you LLT!) :)

And we could go on.

Now about this thread.

GROG has had so many people over the last year telling GROG that GROG should join Facebook and that it is the new "TIKI CENTRAL", but GROG not join Facebook until Big Tiki Dude join Facebook, and even then GROG may not join. Who wants to be Facebook friends with LLT!? Somebody shoot GROG first.

Besisdes, it's Winter and the Holidays and plenty of people have better things to do than post on Tiki Central.
Woofmutt's Bilge threads are more annoying than funny. Like the guy, hate his threads. Hanford once sent a PM to GROG that said "Fuck Bilge!" Amen to that (except for Photo Association.)

Lucas, your title sucks and is misleading. Like the guy, hate your threads.

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

[ Edited by: GROG 2011-12-22 22:47 ]

While I might have helped to set the derailment of this thread in motion by that "tiki is over, send me your stuff" wisecrack, I DO think that it is the constant derailment and nonsensical posts to 'just be funny' that further dilutes TC. And makes it hard to read. Save that stuff for bilge.

I don't post too much on TC anymore because I have so many good friends who are way smarter and more informed than me to tell the amazing stories of tiki past and do the detective work for us all... I used to post a TON because, in the beginning of TC being launched, we were all finding new and exciting things in our respective areas of interest to share with the group (remember when I 'discovered' Sam's Seafood, Sabu?! Classic...) These days, I don't feel much of a need to chime in when I'm not adding anything constructive to the conversation. But I DO still read a LOT of the posts here on TC.

As for tiki being on the decline, I don't care. It's part of who I am. Same with surfing and rockabilly... They are just part of me. I HAVE to be enveloped in it. If it all vanished to the rest of the world, I'd still collect, and have my own home bar (soon to be built) and I'd still write songs for The Hula Girls. And I'd still have my friends whom I have met from this website. That's all that I need.

BUT as it sits now, a blatent indicator of the state of popularity of tiki is how immense Tiki Oasis has grown over the years. And more and more people of other neighboring sub-cultures keep showing up. And it's great. Hopefully they will come to the party well educated and will add to our already massive family. Aloha.

On 2011-12-22 22:42, GROG wrote:
We have a Tiki Magazine... hilites artists, musicians, builders, mugmakers, Tiki bars, homebars, events etc. as well as the history of tiki.

AND it's got this cool comic strip by some guy.... Ernie? something-or-other?

Too well said Ernie, for a Caveman, you must have a Ghostwriter...

S

On 2011-12-22 22:58, Luckydesigns wrote:
I DO think that it is the constant derailment and nonsensical posts to 'just be funny' that further dilutes TC. And makes it hard to read. Save that stuff for bilge.

An extremely accurate comment. Unfortunately something that happens on all websites and blogs, and is something that cannot be avoided. There always has to be a smartass.

And GROG very smart caveman. Human species supposed to have evolved, but GROG prove that not necessarily true.

"Woofmutt's Bilge threads are more annoying than funny. Like the guy, hate his threads."

Well at least I know they're annoying. I was afraid people didn't have any reaction at all which meant my efforts were a complete waste of time.

[This message was edited by woofmutt because he noticed he'd left the word "waste" out of the above line and even though the stuff he throws up on Tiki Central is pretty much pointless nonsense he for some reason generally gives a rat's ass about trying to craft well written posts.]

"Who cares as long as it's FUNNY!"

[ Edited by: woofmutt 2011-12-23 00:56 ]

TM

Well, since this thread seemed to get everyone's panties in a twist, I won't bother you all anymore.

It was an innocent, idle question posted during a bored moment. The thread was not intended to inflame or cause controvery, but it caused even people I thought were cool to turn on me and dress me down in public. Nice. At least I know how you all feel about me.

Adios.

W

" The thread was not intended to inflame or cause controversy..."

You've been around Tiki Central long enough to know that a lot of people here suffer from inflammation.

G
GROG posted on Fri, Dec 23, 2011 8:51 AM

If it wasn't supposed to inflame or cause controversy, than why did you give it such a provocative title?

You should have consulted Woofmutt first, he could have at least given you a funny title. Instead it seems like you consulted John-O or Chuck Tatum for your title choice.

Next time, before you decide to stir the pot, don't smoke it.

G
GROG posted on Fri, Dec 23, 2011 8:51 AM

Like the guy, hate the thread.

Lucas, do you know of any good Tiki Fonts?

H
hoody posted on Fri, Dec 23, 2011 1:23 PM

Loved hearing that there are other kids out there equally enthused about the true Polynesian pop-culture of Tiki. They are our tiki future.....

We live in a surfing community (near Bells Beach, Australia) which is famous for the large surf it produces in Mar/Apr each year.

In the spirit of sharing, and with a keen desire for everyone to encourage the Mocktail Crowd, I'm posting a copy of the Tiki Tiki Wa Wa song written by my daughter when she was nine years old. Please share and enjoy with other kids.

Although this song was written by a grommet (kid), it has developed heaps of appeal amongst the Cocktail Crowd, and we will chant this song around the firepit on New Years Eve, with the sound of island drums in the background.

Seeing the age group on TC, Verse 3 may be the most appealing :)

Sincerest Regs, Hoody

VERSE 1

Wa-Wa is a Tiki God
A Tiki God of Surf
He hails from Torquay Tiki Club
Bells Beach is his home Turf
When we dance and sing his name
The swell begins to rise
The Easter break we celebrate
Dominates the sky

PRE CHORUS 1

So c’mon grommet’s, chant with us
Clean swell we will unearth
For Wa-Wa is our Tiki God
Our Tiki God of Surf

CHORUS

Tiki, Tiki, Tiki Tiki Wa-Wa
Tiki Tiki Wa-Wa, Tiki, Tiki, Wa-wa

VERSE 2

Wa-Wa loves to take the drop
And cut beneath the foam
Pig dog tubes with layback moves
He hits the lip with soul
Never fear the grey man’s teeth
Or the rocky road
Just rip it up in Wa-Wa’s name
He’ll always bring you home

PRECHORUS 2

So listen surfers, hear us chant
For Wa-Wa is our Tiki God
Our Tiki God of Surf

CHORUS (refer to chorus)

VERSE 3

As the sun begins to set
Behind the access road
Chillin’ on the cliff top track
We praise the surfing code
We started out in stinkbug school
And die as wizened trolls
The spirit of our tiki god
Sun and surf: Our soul.

PRECHORUS 3

So c’mon people, chant with us
For Wa-Wa is a Tiki God
A Tiki God of Surf

CHORUS (refer to chorus)

Wa Wa

The End.

Who would have known, Grog is a "air quotes" PC "air quotes" Caveman?
Lucas you know I was with you the whole time, No fair weather friend, here.

(We will not talk about that music thread thing, though.)
because I don't need no "Gun packing Orchestra" after me!

I guess Tiki is alive & well for now, so let's get some cocktails!

Mele Kalikimaka TC!

It's over Lucas!!!

On 2011-12-23 19:56, RevBambooBen wrote:
It's over Lucas!!!

Ooof!

It looked so much bigger on the inside, Thank's for the pics Ben.

That entire room was supported by itself.

Not 1 nail or screw into a wall.

I bet Lucas would be proud.

Rob was stoked. lol!!

Good times Holden and Tiki Farm!

Til next time......... :wink:

On 2011-12-23 19:56, RevBambooBen wrote:
It's over Lucas!!!

Tiki is Dead! Long live Tropical Custom Decor!

On 2011-12-23 14:07, Chuck Tatum is Tiki wrote:
Who would have known, Grog is a "air quotes" PC "air quotes" Caveman?

I thing GROG's actually an "air quotes" Mac "air quotes" Caveman.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 312 replies