Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tiki Mugs from Holiday Inn -Kuching, Malaysia

Pages: 1 3 replies

8T

The back has the word Kuching and another face like this side.

I recently picked up this mug and did a search on TC for info but came up empty so here's a start on the info you might use to collect their souvenir mugs or plan a visit if you find yourself in Malaysia.

The website to the hotel which has since changed hands.
http://sixthseal.com/2006/02/fancy-cocktails-inclusive-takeaway-themed-mug-rajang-lobby-lounge-holiday-inn-kuching/

More of the mugs they offered:

Good luck in your hunt, these seem to be hard to find.

Thank you for sharing those photos. I wish I had the peanut mug. Wendy

According to the menu they had 10 mugs...

Tutom Pole - the peanut mug

nenas sarikel - pineapple, some form of pineapple mug?

bakul cina - China Basket, no idea?

kelapa mawa - coconut mawa, some form of Coconut mug?

Kereta Lembu - Cow Train, the buffalo cart mug.

Talang-Talang - talent-talent, no idea?

Ketam Batu - Stone Crab, the crab mug depicted.

Headhunter - the goof like mug depicted, (quite a respectful mug as Borneo tribes people were keen headhunter during WW2)

Sri Kenyalang - Hornbill, a mug depicting the Hornbill or the elaborate Iban carvings of Hornbills?

Bujang Satay - bachelor satay (bachelor food)- I have not a clue, as Bujang could translate as single/bachelor/flunky and Satay is the tasty meat on stick with peanut sauce, but "Bujang Senang" means "Happy Bachelor" and was man eating crocodile, so a crocodile mug or wahinie mug (food for bachelors)?

..something to look for my local flea markets, or a place to visit next time I'm in Malaysia.

S

Found this peanut mug at the antique store today. I was surprised that there are no listings for it on Mytikilife, nor any mugs from this location for that matter, but it was good to find this thread here and to be able to add to it more than eleven years later.

IMG20231119143339

[ Edited by swizzle on 2023-11-18 23:30:04 ]

Pages: 1 3 replies