Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Hewey & Liana's vintage lounge

Pages: 1 12 replies

H
hewey posted on Tue, Jan 3, 2012 9:11 PM

Here's some pics of our loungeroom. It's not straight tiki, but rather an eclectic mix with elements of tiki/surf, vintage/retro/kitsch, mid century modern, hot rod/kustom kulture and contemporary. It's always in a state of flux, when we get something new or different it tends to get changed around.

As the room we spend the most time in, we wanted something that reflected us and our tastes. The only major item bought new is the tv, everything else is second hand. The lounge was purchased from a mate, the cabinets are ebay or thriftstore finds, the dining table came from my grandma's and the dining chairs are ebay. The jukebox was on the side of the road awaiting a Council clean up!

This frosted glass panel was a birthday gift from a mate. it was found underneath his mother in law's house, he made the timber frame for it and gave it to me.

This painting was done by Dutch artist Herr Rudolph, and features Liana in a leopard print dress and pith helmet on my Von Franco Dyno. The tiki is my first carving. The buddy christ used to live on the dash of my ol '72 beetle which was bright yellow and had taxi signage, fun car.

We've regigged the cabinets since the above pics, here's a look inside the tiki ones. The glass has been removed to avoid the reflections. This is the cabinet next to the jukebox

And the cabinet next to the door

AWESOME...and I remember that fabulous bike picture. Carry on...ya got a good vibe flowing there!!!

B
Bonj posted on Tue, Jan 3, 2012 9:24 PM

Looks the goods!

I like it. Your mug collection is pretty cool. :)

You have some amazing furniture in there, especially the display cases, super jealous!

way cool, love da jukebox...

T

ATOMIC RANCH style Tiki action COOL!!!

Nice looking lounge there Hewey, great eclectic mix of "artifacts". That jukebox quite a find for a roadside! (I'm sure it didn't look anywhere near as nice when you picked it up)

S

Nice Hewey, i like it. As MDM said, that jukebox is quite a find. I also like the frosted glass panel. It's amazing to think of all the amazing things that are hidden and buried beneath and within peoples homes.

Nice, very nice! The jukebox is an amazing fine and I really like the frosted panel! Great mug collection too. :)

Lori

Q

Great looking room! I like the mix. You got some fantastic pieces to work with.

Cheers!

H

Thanks guys. The jukebox is in 'as found' condition! The CD player doesnt work, which is presumably why it was being thrown out. Given we've got a stereo anyway, its not a big deal.

I also thought I'd share some pics of the 'Capital Country Surf Shack'.

Each year for the Australia Day long weekend we go down to Canberra for a hot rod run. Australia Day is kinda like the 4 July for us, and Canberra is our capital so it's a pretty good way to spend a weekend. :D The rod run is held in a caravan park called the 'Capital Country Holiday Village' and the last couple of years we've decorated our cabin as the 'Capital Country Surf Shack'. The joke is Canberra is about 3 hours drive from the beach! :lol: It certainly needs more 'tikification', but given we're only there for 3-4 days it's not worth getting too elaborate with it. The picture above is our Holden (general motors) ute in front of the shack, and the one below is our Holden wagon cruising the caravan park - if you squint the numberplate almost says Hawaii! :lol:

HJ

Great pictorial!

Pages: 1 12 replies