Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Need advice on restoring a Witco bar

Pages: 1 31 replies

MH

Hey all, I came across a Witco bar that a local south Florida kid received from his mom. He had no idea what it was and had already began "restoring" it by ripping it apart and replacing the plywood underneath (assembling it with drywall screws and not much else) - discarding all but the carved pieces, one crossbar at the bottom back of the bar, and the screwed on bottle opener :(

Apparently it's been sitting in an outside bar for the better part of a decade and it shows... very faded, some cracks from drying out in the sun, miscellaneous damage to the bar top in the way of scratches / gouges / and even some initials lightly carved into the top. One of the stools is solid, the other needs help from a large crack. The cushions were removed long ago as was the fabric on the bar.

I felt sorry for it so I gave up some cash and brought it home to do what I can to restore it in the hope that it has potential to live again and serve as a centerpiece for a little home tiki bar of my own.....

I could really use some advice on how to go about restoring this thing. Can anyone provide pictures of the interior or bottom of one of these so I can try to replicate the original construction? Any tips on if I should try to replace the 2-3 chipped / missing pieces? What about refinishing the wood itself? I am guessing that the damage to the top of the bar will be difficult to repair given the raised grain nature of the wood...

Thanks all for your help! I'm looking forward to the project!

TL

Hi Matt,

The best thing you could do to this bar is burn it...

Seriously!

Well, maybe not the whole thing, but the places where the wood has been broken off and/or gouged out. That's how Witco finished their furniture back in the day. Burn the "raw" areas or the gouges/scratches with a torch just enough so the wood turns black and becomes like alligator skin. Then brush off the char with a semi-stiff plastic bristle brush. After it's all clean, get some Howard's Orange Oil w/Beeswax and rub everything down hard with a thick coat or two. That will bring everything back as good as it will ever get.

As for he crack, you'll have to use your own judgement, but plenty of these stools are cracked like that and they are still sturdy enough to sit on.

Hope that helps!

Matt, you just got advice from a real pro. Listen to Mr. Tiki Lee.

MH

Lee that sounds like a plan! I would really like to rebuild the cabinet / base - so if anyone can track down an image of the back of one of these bars I would be very appreciative! Right now it's just 3 pieces of plywood rigged together with drywall screws. I'd like to replace it with something a bit more "quality" befitting it's heritage :)

It needs a good cleaning after sitting outside so long (lots of dirt in the recesses, etc) so that's my first step.

I can't offer any advice, but I am envious of your find! It looks like a fun project to work on.

What ever wood you use to replace the front, you can cover in a leopard print fabric
to get the look of original Witco bar.

Like this...

MH

That's part of the plan :)

Thanks guys! Between the bar, a blue & brown glazed TF Mai-Kai mug and a set of Kon-tiki lobby cards it's been a good week.

I'll be starting on it this weekend..

G

Awesome find.

I'm a big fan of the Zebra print as seen in this unrestored example owned by TikiRootsRocka - there are more photos, including a catalog shot, over in the Witco Thread.

gabbahey

Work has started, it's amazing how well the broken area blends in after the "burn". Once the repair work to the top (more burn and brush to restore the finish) is done I'll just be oiling the finish per Tiki Lee's advice. So far I think it's going to come out nice.

I am going to have to repair one crack on a stool, it's just too loose, but nothing some wood glue and a hefty furniture clamp can't fix.

The one part that I will have the hardest time with are the stool cushions. I'm guessing that I'll need to find a local upholstery shop to help out..

Yeah, the animal print fabrics can look good for the background and if you're trying to go for a historically accurate reproduction then the leopard skin look is the way to go. BUT when I see an animal print like that I don't think of Polynesia, I think of Africa.

If this was my Witco bar restoration project, I'd go for a tapa print background.

my 2cents...

cool stuff
keep up on the progress pics too!

T

Thought this might help your job a bit. Found pictures of an old brochure on my hard drive... originally from Tiki Central I'm sure.

I've used a "Dark Walnut Stain" myself and then Formby's Tung Oil (High Gloss I believe). Just rub in the tung oil. The stuff is little weird but basically a very nice thin polyurethane type coating. Worked excellent!

[ Edited by: tattoo 2012-01-12 22:36 ]

MH

Thanks for that! I'll post up a pic this weekend... I had to touch up a few areas on the top that were gouged with initials and therefore had to burn and brush on the bar surface. Even with a great deal of brushing and sanding it's not quite an even tint across the top but then It's going to be used and will probably wear over time anyway.

The Feed-n-wax (Orange oil with beeswax) went on last night over the top and sides and it looks great. I now need to work on the stools / shield and disassemble the bar to add a fabric over the base (after I choose one).

I don't have step by step shots of the bar so far but I will when I work on the stool.

pay closed attention to the difference between,
'tung oil' and 'tung oil finish',and
'teak oil' and 'teak oil finish'.
and the stain you want to use is MINWAX, Special Walnut.

How's this project coming along?
I ask because I just scored one of these sets myself! But mine is much less of a project, just clean and wax, no construction (I hope).
Here's a pic in situ at the estate sale:

I'm excited to get started with some wax, especially after I saw the difference between wet and dry while cleaning it:

I hope to get everything to the shade of the stool on the left.

I'll take some pics of the back to give you some idea of how to rebuild yours. To start, there's two shelves with a wavy lip, so you'll have a job ahead you to cut that.

HT

I hate you, Paul. :)

MH

Alas sorry no photos yet... I was laid off from work 4 weeks ago and things have been at a standstill but I accepted a great offer today so just give me time.

The Feed-n-wax product that was recommended definitely brought some color back. It's not a shiny, "book of Tiki" look, but more of a natural darkening of the wood. Burning and brushing the chipped areas worked great, just be careful not to overdo it.

I would be VERY thankful for the shots of the back of the bar! I would really like to recreate the original look...

Congrats on your new position then!

Here's a couple of shots of your missing back. I'll take some measurements when I get a chance, but these should give you an idea of what I'm talking about:

Realized too that it looks like you're missing the casters:

It looks like Sheperd Casters is still in business!
http://www.shepherdcasters.com/products_ball.html

MH

Thanks! I don't have the capability to replicate the wavy shelf pieces right now but I will save that for a future project... The casters are definitely going back on :)

T

Matt, we saw that bar listed on CL about 8+ months ago. We decided it was to much work for us. Glad to see it went to someone who would put the time into making it a nice bar again. Keep us posted with the good work.

MH

It pains me to say this but due to some recent life events the bar is FOR SALE in Miami, fl.

The main bar has been cleaned up and treated with an orange oil & wax, and the stool that needed repair was fixed.

The bar still needs the fabric or covering of your choice on the front and sides and the stools need cushions.

I hate to sell this but right now it's the right decision.

I'm going to leave it up here for a day before I list it elsewhere.

$300

[ Edited by: Matt Helm 2012-03-18 08:19 ]

Aw man! Sorry to hear you have to part with your bar.
It's just "stuff" though, I hope you get some decent money for it to help you out.

S

Last week I found four Witco stools and two small side tables/plant stands. They've definitely seen better days. Following Tiki Lee's advice, I got busy with some of that Howard's Orange Oil with Wax, and man oh man! Night and day! So, thanks for the tip.

That said, I do have a question of my own: One of the stools has a decent-sized glop of candle wax on the "foot", where the grooves of the wood are the tightest. It's a thin layer, so it's been tough getting it off. I've read about two methods for removal: heat or ice. I'm leaning towards applying heat with a hairdryer, wiping as much of the wax off as possible, then working out the last of it with more heat and a toothpick. Sound good, or is there a third option?

Mahalo in advance,

Stingray

I saved this Witco stool from a slow death. I am going to restore him according to these tips. Anyone know if there is a good “filler” to use for termite damage? Also anyone have any ideas to replicate the cheetah print fabric for the cushion? Looks like it is a thicker fabric, hopefully I can find something. Thanks for looking!

Wow! He's lookin' pretty sad :(

I’ll make him happy again :)

I’m sure that beer made him happy

Aloha--Sent you a PM

I’ll make him happy again :)

Rehabbed this clown mainlander over the wkend

Awesome

Awesome restoration Happy. You should be proud of the fountain and of your handiwork-Congrat's

Pages: 1 31 replies