Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Raffles Hotel- The Long Bar (Singapore)

Pages: 1 6 replies

W

Not technically tiki but this is the birthplace of the Singapore Sling, one of the great tropical drinks. (and one of the few that seems to have actually come from the South Pacific or Far East) Dropping by the Long Bar I had a great time just soaking up the ambience and talking with a Canadian tourist who didn't know about the Sling so tried one and a Japanese businessman who always stops by the Long Bar when laid over in Singapore.

Overall a good hour spent with interesting company in a nice location I highly recommend visiting. The Sling itself is sweet as can be and tasted great to me, though it was $26 USD per Sling. Too pricey, but I considered it payment for being there. If you ever stop by do have one just to say you did and spend the rest of the time tossing peanut shells on the floor and making small talk with the other bar patrons. I had only the afternoon to enjoy Singapore before moving on, the rest of the time was spent at Fort Canning Park and the Battle Box, (World War II British Malayan Campaign HQ) which are both also worth a visit.

The hotel

The doorman

The Long Bar

The Sling

The Wayfarer

While there the bartender gave me a nice card with the Sling recipe on it, so I got a Long Bar postcard from the gift shop and had them framed together when I returned to Guam.

[ Edited by: Wayfarer 2012-08-03 18:43 ]

Great post!

Thanks Wayfarer. :)

What a great shot. Love it.

I visited in 1967 ( I was on R&R) With two other Marines.
The snooty Americans pretended not to notice us. The Brits and Aussies wouldn’t let us pay for our beers.
Cheers

On 2015-06-16 00:02, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:
The snooty Americans pretended not to notice us. The Brits and Aussies wouldn’t let us pay for our beers.
Cheers

I am sorry to hear that. That reminds me of the CCR song "Fortunate Son".
Both of my brothers were Marines, or is it once a Marine, always a Marine?

On 2015-06-16 07:43, tikilongbeach wrote:

On 2015-06-16 00:02, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:
Cheers

I am sorry to hear that. That reminds me of the CCR song "Fortunate Son".
Both of my brothers were Marines, or is it once a Marine, always a Marine?

Tanks Lori-Semper Fi!

Pages: 1 6 replies