Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Booze free drinks suitable for Tiki Mugs

Pages: 1 15 replies

B

Ok, I don't drink, I don't smoke, and I don't do drugs, and I'm starting to feel like I'm missing out on all the fun! J/K.
I've just never seen the need to start drinking, I've always figured I was damn goofy enough as it is. Thats me, I probably have more booze and glassware than anyone else in the County, and the only drink I've ever had was a Beer at a Brian Setzer Concert, and that was mostly so I could have something to do with my hands. Anyways, I can only force so many drinks on my wife, just so I can serve them in a Tiki Mug. And it just does'nt seem right to be drinking Pepsi or NesQuik out of a Suffering Bastard. The Horror! But I need my Tiki Fix! Can anyone help a poor non-tiki drinker out?

T

The "Grog Log" and "Intoxica" have a couple of good non-alchoholic drinks in them.

E

Hey Badmojo,

There are a couple vintage Tiki-restaurant "virgin" drinks listed in "Beachbum Berry's Grog Log" (easy to get on amazon.com) which is a very cool book to have even if you are teetotal, just so you'll know what exotic drinks were served in those mugs.

Better still I think, why not just try virgin mixes of the major Tiki drinks listed in the book? People drink virgin Strawberry Daiquiris and Margaritas all the time, why not a vigin Mai Tai or Captain's Grog? Pretty healthy stuff, probably would taste great...just my two bits.

cheers,
emspace.

T

I doubt a virgin Mai Tai would taste good as it would just be 1/2 oz. lime juice, orgeat, and curacao - also, it would barely fill a shot glass. The whole point of a Mai Tai was mostly fine rum with just a bit of fresh lime and flavorings so it wouldn't cover up the taste of the rums.

Having a Mai Tai or Suffering Bastard w/out rum would be like having a hamburger without the burger patty.

Pina coladas do pretty well without the rum. I think there's a lot of room for experimentation, too -- play with tropical fruit juices, ginger ale, Shasta Tiki Punch... I bet you can come up with some great recipes on your own.

Try the "designated driver area" in my virtual bartender section of http://www.tikiking.com.

Here is a short cut:
http://www.tikiking.com/cdb/cocktail_database.html
Cheers!
T.K.

i LOVE the non-alcoholic Queen Charlotte's Punch drink that Trader Vic's serves. I like it better than a lot of alcoholic drinks. It's really swell. I don't have the recipe though, but you shouls make it to a Trader Vic's to taste it. It's wonderful.

I wish there was a boozed version of it that kept the same flavor becuase I think they got just the right mixture of sweet and sour.

T

I first read this thread title as meaning:

BOOZE!
FREE DRINKS SUITABLE FOR TIKI MUGS.

It's rather cruel to put the words 'free' and 'drinks' together like that, when you're not offering any!!!

Do you have any free drinks NOT suitable for tiki mugs?

Tikifish,

Your post sort of reminds me of a name my band used years ago in hopes that if people saw it on the marquee they'd pack the club. The name was "Free Beer".

(It didn't work...)

E

On 2003-06-12 12:08, thejab wrote:
also, it would barely fill a shot glass.

Having a Mai Tai or Suffering Bastard w/out rum would be like having a hamburger without the burger patty.

Hmm, points well taken. I got carried away...

em

Though it's true the Mai Tai is built on the rum, a virgin one would basically be limeaide with orgeat and triple sec syrup (though most triple sec is so low in alcohol it wouldn't add much if you're just avoiding because you don't want to drink). You could do something similar but with mint for a mock Mojito.

Virgin Tiki type drinks are the easiest to make as you have a world of fruit juices to work with. The trick is making them more than a too sweet glass of juice. Fresh lime and lemon juice, grapefuit juice, and tonic water are useful for cutting sweetness. Having orgeat, triple sec, bitters (aromatic and orange), falernum, flavored syrups, and other odd flavorings on hand will help add that can't-quite-put-your-tongue-on-it element I think all good fruity drinks should have.

Finally: You can drink whatever the heck you want out of a Tiki mug. Except a Margarita, of course.

R

We have a mango tree in front and it has been raining mangos for weeks now. So I make mango banana smoothies and drink them out of my 22 oz. Squid mug. :)

1-2 mangos
1/4 cup yogurt (I prefer full fat, got to have that Vit. F)
1 cup of whole milk (more Vit. F)
1 banana
1 tablespoon of light brown sugar
5-6 ice cubes
and FRAPE' Baby!

Around 500 calories and oh so full of fiber! :wink:

S

Well, you asked... this is long, but full of ideas.

I'm convinced there's plenty to be offered for the booze-free set and the designated drivers du jour. There's nothing worse than going to a party or bar and feeling you're missing out because you're in charge of driving folks home safely afterwards. So I try to research Tiki "Authentic" recipes that are every bit as valid Tiki-wise for my friends who won't be sampling my rums.

Research-wise, I find children's menus, believe it or not, can be a treasure trove- after all non-alcoholic versions were often as spectacular in both taste (in their own way) and garnish as the alcoholic siblings. Part of the point being, non-alcoholic versions should not feel 'less than' alcoholic versions leading to that feeling of being odd man out. If anything, some non-alcoholic and/or children's versions may have been even as, if not even more outlandish, as businesses were carefully crafting 'fond memories' sometimes intentionally, in an effort to either have the kids drag their parents back, or so as the kids grew up they would return. (The Hawaii Kai in New York, actually made a point of throwing sweet 16 birthday parties to that effect!)

There's an essay in there somewhere- for later, or perhaps someone with a more extensive collection of raw materials to address.

So on to the drinks- many of which could easily be adapted for Tiki mug usage.

(Or, just go for outrageously garnished skull mugs, or pirate mugs full of coffee with hints of fruits and nut syrups, whipped cream, chocolate shavings, or cinnamon sticks,, or a mint sprig! Tiki enough to be part of the genre, anyway.)

The following three non-alcoholic gems from 'back in the day' are from;

Trader Frank's Exotic Menu Recipes-
http://www.shopsontheweb.com/tikigifts/cookbook.jpeg

Which, in a nod to a fellow Tikiphile, can still be gathered here-
http://www.shopsontheweb.com/tikigifts/ (there are a few other non-alcoholic recipes as well.)

• Diamond Head Zombie

1/4 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup passion fruit juice
1/4 cup papaya
1/4 cup pineapple juice
1 Tbs. crushed ice - heaping

This is our secret... put all these juices into a blender with a heaping tablespoon crushed ice and blend for a second or two. Serve in a Zombie glass or any 14 oz.. glass, garnish with colored straws and cocktail umbrella - you'll love it!

• Hawaiian Sunset

7 oz. Orange juice
1 oz. Passion fruit juice

Pour 7 oz. fresh Orange juice in a footed goblet - pour very slowly and down the inside of the glass 1 oz. of Passion fruit juice. This will settle at the bottom rising slowly and will give the coloring and effect of a beautiful sunset. Garnish with full 1/2 Orange slice and a cherry speared on a fancy toothpick.

• Island Spell

1 lge. scoop lime sherbet
8 oz. Pineapple juice
1 Tbs. crushed ice - heaping

Mix ice and Pineapple juice in blender for 2 or 3 seconds. Pour into large sundae glass... Float a scoop of lime sherbet on this sea of delicious Pineapple juice. A real delightful refresher. Garnish with 1/2 slice fresh lime and a cherry speared on a frill toothpick.

The next three are from the Hawaii Kai, formerly of New York City, as recorded in the "Hawaii Kai Cookbook", by Roana and Gene Schindler (You'll have to find used.) These are attributable to Manny "Blackie" Andal, chief mixologist of the Hawaii Kai.

• "Bird of Paradise" (serves 1)

(Especially designed for youngsters). A swirl of exotic nectars blended with the mystic charms of Island paradise fruits; crowned with pineapple sherbet and a beautiful Bird of Paradise flower.

1 oz. pineapple juice
1 oz. orange juice
1 oz. peach nectar
dash grenadine
1 scoop pineapple sherbet
Bird-of-Paradise (strelitzia) flower

Pour all ingredients except sherbet, over 1 cup shaved ice. Blend. Pour into 16-ounce glass and top with scoop of sherbet. Garnish with flower stuck in an 8 inch straw.

• Outrigger Orange Flip (for 6)

1 can (6 oz.) frozen orange juice concentrate
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 1/4 cups cold water
2 eggs (Fresh)
3 tablespoons sugar
dash salt

Combine juices and water; beat with egg beater. Beat eggs with sugar and salt just until blended; add orange mixture; beat 5 to 10 seconds. Pour into 6 tall ice filled glasses.

• Wahini Cooler (for a crowd)

1 can (6 oz.) frozen orange juice concentrate
1/2 cup sugar
1 can (12 oz.) apricot nectar
1 can (40 oz. pineapple juice
1 can (6 oz.) frozen lemonade concentrate
1/8 cup Grenadine or maraschino cherry juice
1 can (12 oz.) passion fruit nectar
4 oz. orgeat flavoring
ice cubes

in a large punch bowl or small barrel, dilute orange juice concentrate as label directs. Add sugar and mix until dissolved. Add remaining ingredients. Taste for additional sugar. (All this can be done one day in advance.) When ready to serve, add two trays ice cubes. Serve in Hawaiian mugs. 25 4 oz. servings.

And these, also from New York, from a small pamphlet. "A selection of Luau Recipes from the Hawaiian Room" (in the Hotel Lexington, 48th Street, which was sorta proto-Tiki if I've got my timeline correct.)

• Polynesian Foam

12 oz. Pineapple juice
4 oz. Orange juice
Juice of 4 Lemons
Grenadine

Mix Pineapple juice, Orange juice, Lemon juice, and four dashes of Grenadine. Blend with finely crushed ice to froth for a refreshing soft drink. (For a more powerful mixture, add 5 oz. Cognac and blend in same way.)

• Hula Koola (for 4)

1 large fresh Pineapple
1 pinch powdered Ginger
4 oz. Pineapple juice
1/2 teaspoon Sugar

Peel, core and dice the Pineapple. Using a Waring blender half filled with shaved ice, add all ingredients. Mix few minutes until mixture attains thin sherbet-like texture. Serve heaping in old fashioned type glass. Sprinkle a little cinnamon on top and garnish with spray of mint.

Finally, I have to recommend "Zero Proof: 200 Nonalcoholic Drinks from America's Most Famous Bars and Restaurants",
by Pamela Stovall, Richard Lalich. It includes a wonderful assortment of recipes from all kinds of different restaurants, even including one or two bits pertaining to Tiki, such as-

• Tonga Twist
    from the Tonga Room

3 oz Pineapple juice
3 oz grapefruit juice
1/2 oz Grenadine
Club soda
1 Pineapple wedge
1 cherry
1 sprig mint

1. Fill a tall glass with ice cubes
  2. Add Pineapple and Grapefruit juices, and Grenadine
  3. Stir
  4. Fill glass to the top with Club Soda
  5. Garnish with Skewered Pineapple wedge and cherry, and a sprig of mint.

Calories: 97

Built in 1907, San Francisco's historic Fairmont Hotel and its Tonga Room have served ten United States presidents, world leaders, and countless royalty. The Garden Room of the Fairmont hosted dignitaries as they drafted the charter for the United Nations. On a less grand, but more popular scale, the Fairmont provided the setting for the television series "Hotel".

I think the only other directly Tiki related recipes include "Tahitian Paradise" and "Waikiki" from the Mai Kai. But after you've tried a few of the recipes from the various restaurants, you begin to get a feel for how to craft a booze-free drink with a variety of flavors, and even some complexity and subtlety.

Okole Maluna! (Bottom's up!)

T

AW CRAP! I read this topic wrong, I thought it said "Free Booze for your Tiki Mug"

I read it and didn't see any booze! :P

Darn my dyslexia! [sp?]

[ Edited by: tikimug on 2003-06-18 16:51 ]

M

God, what a fantastic post Sabina. Who sez there's no content left on TC?

I picked up a book called The Ultimate Liquor-free Drink Guide by Sharon Tyler Herbst It has "more than 325 drinks with no buzz but plenty of pizzazz!" I wanted a book like this for my bar as I have a few friends who don't drink. And needed something with some good mixes. you can get it on amazon but I picked it up at Borders. One main reason I chose this one, was a couple of the drinks call for Falernum.

There are many catagories of drinks: Drinks from around the world; Coolers; Lemon, lime and other ades; Good for you drinks; Smoothies; Milkshakes and malts; Coffee and tea drinks; Nogs; Punches.

Pages: 1 15 replies