Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

ANNOUNCEMENT - A Facebook "Like" button for Tiki Central? Let's test one out!

Pages: 1 2 91 replies

M
Murph posted on Fri, Jan 27, 2012 1:16 PM

My 2 cents. Try a like button for the entire thread instead of every post.
This invites someone into the entire thread instead of seeing one post alone out of context.
Personally, if I'm going to share with non TC friends on my Facebook page I would be sharing a topic that I feel might pique their interest.

On 2012-01-27 09:37, Hakalugi wrote:
Well? Speak up sheep! If it's a nay, that's fine. For the record, I have seen the button used on TC outside of this thread, but like Sven said, it's usage is minimal.

Would something like the following be more usable?

On 2012-01-25 10:32, hanford_lemoore wrote:
I am going to look into giving TC users another "like" button that won't post to Facebook. But I make no promises.

I am concerned that the "Like" button may be driving more people to Facebook & not the opposite
I have seen allot of people request a TC centric "Like" button, This may well be the better of two evils?

My main problem with social engineering & the "Like" buttons etc. is its just really a big popularity contest
used solely for self validation, I also don't think its "Tiki".

J

On 2012-01-27 13:40, Chuck Tatum is Tiki wrote:
...My main problem with social engineering & the "Like" buttons etc. is its just really a big popularity contest used solely for self validation, I also don't think its "Tiki".

Yes, Tiki is all about mid-century mores. Back in the day real men had more important things to worry about than how many Facebook friends they had or whether their posts were "liked"...

:) (Smiley face added to reflect my sensitive side).

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2012-01-27 15:13 ]

John-O you are a Mid Century Modern Man!
I do like the idea of a "Drink" button though, Can we get one of those?

[ Edited by: Chuck Tatum is Tiki 2012-01-27 15:10 ]

It's hilarious to me that the people most opposed to an internal Tiki Central Like button are the Joint Chiefs of Bilge. :lol:

Who you talkin 'bout Willis!

On 2012-01-27 14:59, JOHN-O wrote:

On 2012-01-27 13:40, Chuck Tatum is Tiki wrote:
...My main problem with social engineering & the "Like" buttons etc. is its just really a big popularity contest used solely for self validation, I also don't think its "Tiki".

Yes, Tiki is all about mid-century mores. Back in the day real men had more important things to worry about than how many Facebook friends they had or whether their posts were "liked"...

:) (Smiley face added to reflect my sensitive side).

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2012-01-27 15:13 ]

OH MY. Now see what I have to do cuz I "LIKE" JOHN-O's post. Cheerio!

A

A little more spittin' in the wind of this topic...

Personally I don't use facebook, so I haven't had the thrill of LIKE-ing something in the facebook way, versus the normal human way.

But, it's a neat idea to consider a TC mechanism for feedback without posting. I really appreciate the people who take the time to post new substantive stuff that's on topic and often very thorough. But I think it's pretty common for those people to wonder if anyone cares, based on the lack of feedback. A little thumbs-up button could literally express, "I like this." And that gives the author some feedback aside from just the number of views or the actual posts that follow.

And a TC "LIKE" button could give a nice alternative metric, since the things that people like (in the human way) aren't necessarily the same ones they feel compelled to post about with an opinion. While one of the perennial debates is raging, someone who posts some new find in Locating could see that people actually dug it, even if there's no replies. Anyway, I realize this is kinda armchair quarterbacking, and these capabilities don't just materialize on their own.

-Randy

I'm a little naive to the ways of FaceBook, can you see who "liked" your post or is it anonymous? Call me egotistical, but I like to know who my "fans" are.

I may have a solution, I have invented a USB powered dispenser, you plug it into your computer & fill it with
what ever Pavlovian Treat that floats your boat (Peanuts work just fine, for example)

It is very easy to write an app that can respond to a button icon on TC
If you like something posted,you click on the Button/Icon & Peanuts get dispensed to the person who posted it

Instant Validation & Snacks!

This can also work as a drink dispenser, FYI.

Oh my GOD! I just came up with something better then "FACEBOOK"
Then gave it away for free! I am not another Zuckerberg, I am that guy "Parker"
who gave away Napster for free.....DOH!

The LIKE button here, like in Facebook, would work well for most post where you find a post interesting but do not have anything too clever, original or witty to respond with. That is good for someone like me who is not too clever, original or witty.

However, as a former TC'er noted in FB, what if the post is about something that is tragic? You may not have anything too original to post in a reply about it but you wish to acknowledge it. But if you hit the LIKE button, does it look like you are happy that this tragic thing happened to the person who posted it?

Yes, they try to do something new here in TikiCentral to brighten our ordinary and dreary lives and all we do is whine and complain.

W

"They try to do something new here in Tiki Central to brighten our ordinary and dreary lives and all we do is whine and complain."

I assumed long ago that for quite a few members whining and complaining was one of the main appeals of Tiki Central.

Well, I am also a firm believer in the old adage "Why fix it if it ain't broke", and in this spirit I ask those who care (I am fine if you don't, or even LIKE timeline) to join me in saying farewell to Facebook if the new Timeline is being forced on you.

It just makes me sick to think that they believe they can do what they want because people are now socially dependent on them. That alone will make me chuck it.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2012-01-31 19:33 ]

Sven,

You do know that you can't delete your facebook account right?
I have heard that you can log out, and deactivate it,
but it will always be there.

Jeff(btd)

How to Permanently Delete a Facebook Account:

http://www.wikihow.com/Permanently-Delete-a-Facebook-Account

I don't care if my data remain stored somewhere, I never had that "privacy" issue (at least until now, where they expect you to display your whole life), I just wanna unplug myself.

well that is good to know, Thanks Sven.
If I have any friends that need it.
I was toying with the idea of joining,
but decided by the time I do, it will be dead as Myspace.

Jeff(btd)

Tiki Central has been running real slow lately on my computer. I just figured out why. It's this stupid like button. It takes me about 1 minute and a half to 2 minutes get from one page in a thread to the next. With the like button always the last to load. I can even move the page untill the like button loads. My computer is a 500.00 job from 2004 and i don't have any money to buy a fancy new one. I don't do face book and i don't care about how many likes a post has.

If this this is made permanent i will be only going to the locating tiki threads and scanning for a feww select threads. It is so frustrating. Just reading this whole thread took 15 to 20 minutes and half the time my browser was "Not Responding" and my tower was humming and making noise the fan was cranking as fast as it could. I don't like the like button. Please get rid of this thing.

J
JOHN-O posted on Tue, Feb 7, 2012 9:08 AM

Abstractiki,

You can set your browser options not to download images (which the buttons are), only the text. I used to set my old Blackberry that way because the TC pages would take too long to load.

I know it's not ideal, but it is a practical way to just browse the textual content.

Hakaluki, are those "Like" buttons some kind of Java object and not just a standard image ?? I think you could block the Java.

Tiki Central without the images? Surely you jest.

DC

Thanks John-O, i just remembered my daughter has a two year old lap top that she hardly ever uses cause she is always on her i-phone. So i will try to use hers for my time on TC.

H

I believe the "Like" button requires Javascript. And yes, you should be able to turn Javascript off. You'll have to Google the specifics for your browser.

Now then,

LAST CALL!

The test period is coming to an end by this weekend, so if you haven't weighed in one way or the other, please do so now!

At this point there have been more Nays than Yeas.

W

I just used the Like button and I liked it. Still, I don't really care whether it stays or goes. But I guess I'd rather see it go than have to hear that the Facebook connected Like was the one thing that really finally actually made Tiki Central too awful to tolerate any further.

Most nays are from non users.

Works well and doesn't hurt/bite.

Just a better way to get more

Tiki out in the interweb.....

S

On 2012-01-27 10:13, Hakalugi wrote:

On 2012-01-27 10:05, JOHN-O wrote:
If a thread is good then its popularity is reflected in the number of views it solicits. ...

This is not always true. Many times people post something great, maybe something they've found or made or a design idea. TC members might think, "hey, that's great, I like that". but they know better than to clog up a thread with a me too "Looks great!" comment. If there was a "Like" button (okay, one not tied to the dreaded Facebook) then people could quicky and easily show support for something without clogging up the place.

I'm going to give my perspective on the topic as it seems this will be the last chance i have. I completely agree with what you have said here Hakalugi. (I even 'liked' your comment when you first posted it.:)) I personally, and i get the feeling that other members who have commented in this thread, and also those that haven't, like the idea of a 'like' button. (Having to type the word 'like' so many times is making me start to 'dislike' the idea. :D) I think it is as you mentioned, one that should NOT be linked to Facebook. As Hanford said, he is able to write a specific one for TC, it'll just take a little time. I'm pretty sure no-one will mind how long we have to wait, but while he's at it maybe he could also add a 'dislike' button also. That is something that has been mentioned on FB countless times.

I'm sure everyone else is just like me. If there is a thread that interests you and you can see that there has been more comments added since you last visited, you look at the thread again. Again, your quote above hits the nail right on the head.

An example is my own mug thread in Other Crafts. The majority of the comments are from the same members and i'm sure that besides myself viewing my own thread to see what responses i've received a lot of the other views are from those same members seeing who else has commented and what they've had to say. But what about all the other views? The ratio of comments to views is completely out of whack, not just on my thread but on EVERY thread.

For instance, Wendy's thread(Danlovestiki). I constantly look at her thread so am therefore contributing to the increase of views, but, again as you said, i know better than to say, "looks great" and just add another pointless comment. If there was a 'like' button i could click on that (and hopefully the other 28/4,026 members would also), Wendy would know who has looked at her thread and appreciated it and the next time i looked at her thread the next comment would be Wendy again as opposed to scrolling through a whole page of comments that say the same thing. If she wanted to thank each and every person, that would be up to her. But i think that she, and all members that post, would love to see that, besides the people that do comment the countless others that view your thread can acknowledge and show appreciation for it without having to actually leave a comment.

This where i believe a 'dislike' button would also be appropriate. A particular member, who i will not name, left several pointless, stupid comments (in my opinion) in this particular thread. If enough people 'disliked' their comments they might get the hint to shut up and only comment when they have something useful to say.

Anyway, that's my opinion on the topic. I think a 'like' button IS a great idea. It just shouldn't be a Facebook one, it should be TC specific. Maybe a Mai Tai, or a Zombie we can click on.

On 2012-02-06 20:35, abstractiki wrote:
Tiki Central has been running real slow lately on my computer. I just figured out why. It's this stupid like button. It takes me about 1 minute and a half to 2 minutes get from one page in a thread to the next. With the like button always the last to load. I can even move the page untill the like button loads. My computer is a 500.00 job from 2004 and i don't have any money to buy a fancy new one. I don't do face book and i don't care about how many likes a post has.

If this this is made permanent i will be only going to the locating tiki threads and scanning for a feww select threads. It is so frustrating. Just reading this whole thread took 15 to 20 minutes and half the time my browser was "Not Responding" and my tower was humming and making noise the fan was cranking as fast as it could. I don't like the like button. Please get rid of this thing.

I will tell you what I tell my clients, run an Anti-virus scan (Free Program here "Malwarebytes Anti-Malware" : http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html?part=dl-10804572&subj=dl&tag=button , remove anything it finds, Update your Java to the latest version
run a cleanup app (Ccleaner) http://download.cnet.com/ccleaner/ if this does not help, time to upgrade to a new computer.

I am in the group of people that don't use Facebook. I think it's dangerous (depending on how you use it) and I know 2 people who have lost out on job opportunities because of their facebook pages. In one instance it wasn't even the stuff on my friends page that lost her the job, it was content about her on someone elses facebook page.

With that being said, I think the Like button is a great idea for growing the community and sharing what is going on here with other people. A lot of this stuff depends on how you use it I guess. Just my 2 cents.

I commend you guys for trying to improve the site. Don't let the nay sayers get you down.

J

Please keep TC free from any connection to F book whatsoever.
Thanks.

FaceBook is trying to kill TC & I will have my Revenge!
And my Revenge is best served in a "Tiki" Mug with good rum & fresh Limes...

Also a nice "PuPu platter".....

M
Murph posted on Wed, Feb 8, 2012 1:17 PM

One Yay.
It's working fine with my Facebook page.

Thanks Chuck for your suggestion and help with my computer problem!
Aloha
Abstractiki

abstractiki, :) :) :)

H

Nay.

I don't see many TCers using the "Like" button
or maybe no one likes anything on TC anymore?

On 2012-01-27 09:13, bigbrotiki wrote:
....It seems very obvious that percentage-wise, the I-Like-Facebook-button use is minimal..... Please don't make it one of those things that is being installed and stays just because the rest of the sheep don't speak up.

H
Heath posted on Thu, Feb 9, 2012 10:28 AM

No "Like" Button please.

W

"Please don't make it one of those things that is being installed and stays just because the rest of the sheep don't speak up."

"Sheep" implies mindless followers. Even if the button remains people don't have to use it.

People who haven't commented on this thread probably just don't think it's an issue. There are plenty of things (on Tiki Central, Facebook, and in real life) that I don't care for but I don't bother commenting on them because I really don't see them as being an issue. Hard to believe, huh?

If someone like myself can actually remain silent on some subject or another I'm sure there are far less excitable people who can do the same.

So, suddenly I see that we've got "Like" buttons on all posts. When did this come out, and how long did it take for me to notice this?

THANKS HANFORD & TEAM!

S

Ummmmm......for a few years now. Although the icon seems to have changed and appears to be larger and more bold so it stands out more. That's probably why you just noticed it Ace.

The problem with it though Ace is that it doesn't quite work as i (maybe everyone) was hoping it would. If you use FB and like one of the posts here it will put a link on the FB page saying that insert persons ACTUAL name here likes this thread on Tiki Central, with a link back to it. So a friend looking at your page on FB can click on it and see exactly what it is you liked.
The other thing is you can see there is a figure within the icon (in just about every comment it's a 0 because nobody uses it :lol: ), and although if several people like the post it will show the number, it doesn't tell you what members of TC liked it. You have to use FB and be friends with those particular people and then you might be able to put 2 + 2 together and work out whose username belongs to who.

What the intention was for a like button here on TC was to have people be able to 'like' a particular post, to show their appreciation/agreement, without the need to actually log in and/or comment but without it actually linking to FB, for it to just be the same concept here, but unfortunately the only way Hanford could work out how to do it was using the FB application.

[ Edited by: swizzle 2016-07-05 18:51 ]

Still, that's a mystery to me, its as if it has never been visible to me before. I don't know what to say, except that I'm stone-cold sober, lol...

Thanks, Swizzle....!!

T

Think of the coolest person you can.
Frank Sinatra, Boggy, ect...

Now picture that person updating his Facebook page, or maybe wearing a Skirt or whatever
they call those tiki skirt things.

Kinda kills the cool image.

J

On 2016-07-05 18:51, AceExplorer wrote:
Still, that's a mystery to me, its as if it has never been visible to me before. I don't know what to say, except that I'm stone-cold sober, lol...

Thanks, Swizzle....!!

Ace, if you're viewing TC from a work computer, and your employer blocks FB, that could be why you don't see it. I can't access FB on my office computer and have never been able to see the button on that computer, but I can see it on my personal laptop at home. Just a thought.

Thanks, Jen, that is possible. We do filter and firewall a lot of stuff here at work, and tweaks are constantly being made as threats grow and evolve. Not that I do TC while on the clock. Nope. Never. :)

Pages: 1 2 91 replies