Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

ANNOUNCEMENT - A Facebook "Like" button for Tiki Central? Let's test one out!

Pages: 1 2 91 replies

H

Many people have been asking for a "Like" button on Tiki Central. I recently asked Hanford if this was a possibility, he said yes and he was able to cook something up. And now it's live! On all of the main forums, at the bottom of every post you will now see a "like" button, so if you see something you like, click it and you'll be sharing it on Facebook. The button will also keep track of how many "likes" the post has received.

Remember though that this is still just a test and we're not sure if it's final but please, try it out and post your comments/concerns here.

Mahalo!

MT

Mai Tai likes this post! Is there any way to "like" a post here on TC, and then it would reflect here on TC, perhaps on the bottom of the person's post, instead of only on my FB wall? Just curious.

Hey it does not work if you are not on Facebook, I don't like it! It don't like me!

Mai Tai:

I just made a quick change to it that will show faces of your FB friends who Liked it when you view the single post. You can view this by clicking the word "permalink" next to the post's time/date. I'm not 100% happy with the layout or color-scheme, but Facebook gives you very little flexibility in that department. It does give you a bit more insight as to who is clicking "like."

Chuck:

Yes, this is a Facebook feature. It was way easier for me to use Facebook than to write a TC-specific one, which I didn't have time to do at the moment.

Plus, since it uses Facebook, it will probably bring more attention to posts here on TC.

On 2012-01-23 19:14, Chuck Tatum is Tiki wrote:
Hey it does not work if you are not on Facebook, I don't like it! It don't like me!

You can only be old school for so long.
( ....and I still bring an am/fm ghetto blaster to my jobs. :wink:

I dig the Like button.

A few more points of clarification:

When you click the Permalink link, you'll only see people who have liked the post that are your friends on Facebook. People who you have not friended on FB will be tallied on the "like" count, but not in the little face preview on the permalink.

ALSO: non-Tiki Central members can hit the like button too. Technically I could disable this by not displaying the Like button if you're not logged in, but for now we'll keep it the way it is and see how this experiment goes.

Hanford who? I remember there was someone with that name once, but... :wink:

Hakalugi has 16 more "Likes" then me! I see how you all are.
Now he's up to 32 Likes! this is insane! how can you have so many friends?

[ Edited by: Chuck Tatum is Tiki 2012-01-24 00:18 ]

S

Seeing all those Facebook like buttons under every post is freaking me out. But i like it.

M

It is working for me in Safari on a Mac but not in Firefox on the Mac.
Any way to set it up to "like" the entire thread instead of just a single post?

Sweet Jesus, this stuff is like totally cluttering up my Facebook page! I guess the cross-pollination will benefit traffic on TC, but I was simply thinking of a "quick response" button sorta LIKE Facebook so people know that the effort of them posting here has been rewarded by people viewing it, that's all. To have every "Like" post cross-referenced on someone's Facebook page will make people think twice about pushing the button - at least it does with me. I just took all the links off my Facebook page, they were simply not important enough, or representative of me to keep them littering the space.

And Tiki Central brings down Facebook, Take that Zuckerberg! :oops:

:lol: :lol: :lol: and a :drink:

J

How does this Facebook culture work? If you like the post but not the person, does that cancel both out and you do nothing? If you like both the post and the person do you hit "like" twice? If you're neutral towards the person but that person doesn't get along with another person who is your friend but the post is really good is it an act of betrayal to hit "like" . How about if you don't like either the post or the person should you hit "like" on the posts of that person's enemies? If a one person gets more "likes" than another person does that make them more Tikier (is that even a word?). Does the number of "likes" in any way affect our credit scores??

Actually here's my suggestion...

Make the "like" button grey like the other buttons.

The Permalink button sounds uncomfortable & might taste all hurty?

I'm with Sven....the cross-pollinating cluttered up my homepage
but a few seconds of deleting posts and it's fine...
Maybe this will make folks think hard
and click like on the things they really really really like
instead of just LIKE...

There is no "Like" buttons in Bilge? Sup Homey....

LIKE!
:lol:

Well this is how experiments go. It might clutter up FB, so that's something we'll just have to experiment with.

I could write a tiki-central "like" button that doesn't post to Facebook, but it would take a lot longer, and I don't have the time at the moment.

And Like buttons aren't implemented on non-tiki forums for the same reason they can't be nominated for cool & current.

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore 2012-01-24 02:05 ]

All kidding aside, updating TC with new features is a real plus
and hopefully stimulates new activity here, So thanks for your efforts!

Can we take some donations & get Bamboo Ben an iPod?

Now back to the Rochambo contest....

I for one dislike "like", it's too bright and clutters up threads, can it be made more in fitting with the Tiki Central colour scheme?

On 2012-01-24 02:02, hanford_lemoore wrote:
I could write a tiki-central "like" button that doesn't post to Facebook, but it would take a lot longer, and I don't have the time at the moment.

Aaah so! Verstehe! Well, that pretty much eliminates the button use for me, I try to reserve my Facebook page more for my personal, non-Tiki side. Of course I post events regarding Sven-Tiki there, or special discoveries, with a link to TC - but for that I would have to hit the "Like" button on my own post. I ain't gonna do that either, that would be cheesy. :D

JB

On 2012-01-24 08:55, bigbrotiki wrote:

On 2012-01-24 02:02, hanford_lemoore wrote:

I try to reserve my Facebook page more for my personal, non-Tiki side.

"non-Tiki side"? I don't understand.

W

"The cross-pollinating cluttered up my homepage but a few seconds of deleting posts and it's fine..." -Liloti-

A few seconds? In Facebook time that's like takin an hour to do it.

T

I've never liked anything on facebook before (you can take that statement any way you see fit), but I just "liked" something in this thread!

The idea of getting Tiki Central more visible to non-tiki people on facebook is a great idea!

Will every post in every thread in every eligeble forum have a "like" button? That's so nutty!

Will everything I post on TC that people "like" turn up on facebook? (sorry, not sure how that all works...)

I'm not a Facebook user so I don't have an opinion on functionality, but aesthetically it would be nice if the button blended with the others on the same line...profile, email, quote, etc.. It feels distracting being both larger and in a different color than the rest of the buttons here on Tiki Central.

kevin

When can I push a button to have a cocktail delivered to my cup-holder? I would "like" that.

New options for TC is good as long as we don't get stuck with general ads on the sidebar. I would pay more to avoid that. The Tiki ads in the header are great though...I "like" them.

Here's my "LIKE" button

On 2012-01-23 23:33, Chuck Tatum is Tiki wrote:
And Tiki Central brings down Facebook, Take that Zuckerberg! :oops:

:lol: :lol: :lol: and a :drink:

I Like that a lot.

Jeff(btd)

One more thing, if you "like" a post with one or more images in it, the first photo in the post will be used as the thumbnail on Facebook.

heylownine, TC has never been "pretty" in my opinion, and I agree, the Like button doesn't help. But unfortunately Facebook gives one very few options on the style and color of the like button.

I am going to look into giving TC users another "like" button that won't post to Facebook. But I make no promises.

On 2012-01-24 18:51, heylownine wrote:
I'm not a Facebook user so I don't have an opinion on functionality, but aesthetically it would be nice if the button blended with the others on the same line...profile, email, quote, etc.. It feels distracting being both larger and in a different color than the rest of the buttons here on Tiki Central.

On 2012-01-24 00:08, JOHN-O wrote:
How does this Facebook culture work? If you like the post but not the person, does that cancel both out and you do nothing? If you like both the post and the person do you hit "like" twice? If you're neutral towards the person but that person doesn't get along with another person who is your friend but the post is really good is it an act of betrayal to hit "like" . How about if you don't like either the post or the person should you hit "like" on the posts of that person's enemies? If a one person gets more "likes" than another person does that make them more Tikier (is that even a word?). Does the number of "likes" in any way affect our credit scores??

John O,
yer making my head hurt.
just stay off Facebook, and it'll be smooth sailing.

I don't think it's working. I think mostly because of folks wanting to keep their Facebook page clear.

If I LIKE something, it's just that, I like it - and only that particular post would get that friendly thumbs up. No big deal, just an expression of sympathy. If I absolutely LOVE something, THEN I'd maybe wanna see it on my FB page.

It's very smart of FB to offer these easy-install kits that lead right to them. :)

T

I vote for a Frenemy button.
Or a this guy most likly to click
on his own thread to beef up the numbers button.
OOh a Twilight Zone button you push it and BAM!
A person dies, gone forever!

We need cool lowbrow type buttons.

On 2012-01-25 14:21, tikiskip wrote:
I vote for a Frenemy button.
Or a this guy most likly to click
on his own thread to beef up the numbers button.
OOh a Twilight Zone button you push it and BAM!
A person dies, gone forever!

We need cool lowbrow type buttons.

A Twilight Zone button, I like it.......But I would probably the first one to die!
A Time Travel button would be cool to, nothing to fancy, say one that goes back in time 5 minutes ?
Then again Woofmutt might paradox the hell out of that button.

T

I notice all the posts (or at least all that I've seen) have like buttons now... are we out of the test phase and is this a permanent thing?

I still haven't logged onto face book since I liked an earlier post in this thread, so I haven't seen how it looks.

Just curious... would the addition of the like buttons change post content in any way?
When I saw the proliferation of like buttons, I went to the first post in my gallery thread where I update with new art to see if there was a button there, and I noticed a bunch of photos were missing...

Don't know if the two are related, but it's very strange.

H

Hi Eric,

Still in test phase.

The "Like" button should have no affect on post content. The photos that are missing, when were they originally posted? PM me the details.

On 2012-01-24 00:08, JOHN-O wrote:
How does this Facebook culture work? If you like the post but not the person, does that cancel both out and you do nothing? If you like both the post and the person do you hit "like" twice? If you're neutral towards the person but that person doesn't get along with another person who is your friend but the post is really good is it an act of betrayal to hit "like" . How about if you don't like either the post or the person should you hit "like" on the posts of that person's enemies?

There are some people in the past who have had no problem telling another that they do not like them or their posts with out any buttons required.

I would like to see a "Piss Off!" button myself.

Oops, I forgot the smiley face. :D

On 2012-01-26 09:15, Hakalugi wrote:
Hi Eric,
Still in test phase....

For how long? It seems very obvious that percentage-wise, the I-Like-Facebook-button use is minimal. Why would it change from that in the future? Please don't make it one of those things that is being installed and stays just because the rest of the sheep don't speak up.

This my last time I will post my opinion on this, because it might become moot quickly: If Facebook is really going through with forcing their new "TIMELINE" page look on ALL their users, I will gladly say goodbye to that part of the Matrix. There are already too many unnecessary, non-improving changes being crammed down one's throat these days that one has no choice over.

H

Well? Speak up sheep! If it's a nay, that's fine. For the record, I have seen the button used on TC outside of this thread, but like Sven said, it's usage is minimal.

Would something like the following be more usable?

On 2012-01-25 10:32, hanford_lemoore wrote:
I am going to look into giving TC users another "like" button that won't post to Facebook. But I make no promises.

Yes, I would prefer that.

Maybe even have the "Likes" do the cool and current voting?

J

The "Like" button is BAAAAAAAD (please note sheep sounding tone). Keep Facebook culture off of TC !!

This one-click collaboration is lazy and inhibits thoughtful and articulate feedback !!

On 2012-01-27 09:49, JOHN-O wrote:

This one-click collaboration is lazy and inhibits thoughtful and articulate feedback !!

Like "Looking good" or "Sounds great!" ? :roll:

J

No not like that Boris.

If a thread is good then its popularity is reflected in the number of views it solicits. Tracking feedback at the individual post level is overkill IMHO.

On 2012-01-27 10:05, JOHN-O wrote:
If a thread is good then its popularity is reflected in the number of views it solicits. ...

This is not always true. Many times people post something great, maybe something they've found or made or a design idea. TC members might think, "hey, that's great, I like that". but they know better than to clog up a thread with a me too "Looks great!" comment. If there was a "Like" button (okay, one not tied to the dreaded Facebook) then people could quicky and easily show support for something without clogging up the place.

Just VIEWING a post does not denote LIKE or DISLIKE. I am afraid that I partially contributed to the Facebook button, because last year, in noting the lack of traffic on TC, I pegged migration to Facebook for it - and the fact that Facebook's "LIKE" button is so damn convenient: No long writing involved. So I suggested something similar for TC. It would also help to curtail the often (not always!) redundant, content-less "Great post!" posts.

On 2012-01-27 10:13, Hakalugi wrote:

On 2012-01-27 10:05, JOHN-O wrote:
If a thread is good then its popularity is reflected in the number of views it solicits. ...

This is not always true. Many times people post something great, maybe something they've found or made or a design idea. TC members might think, "hey, that's great, I like that". but they know better than to clog up a thread with a me too "Looks great!" comment. If there was a "Like" button (okay, one not tied to the dreaded Facebook) then people could quicky and easily show support for something without clogging up the place.

Exactly, the carving thread is full of it.

The Like button works on Facebook because it fits in with that site's format of fast flowing disposable content.

As far as the Facebook Like button on Tiki Central: I have no plans on ever using it and I probably won't notice if anyone on Facebook uses it as that site is so cluttered with re-posts a Like from Tiki Central would just be one more billboard along the Useless Crap Super Highway.*****

I don't see how a Like button would currently work on Tiki Central unless the number of Likes floated a topic to the top of a list. Big deal.

And I'd have no interest in a Like button along the lines of Facebook which would create a tally of names of users who Liked a post. Clutter like that belongs in Bilge.

I also don't think such a button would cut down on "Looks great!" or "LOL! posts in threads any more than the Search feature has cut down on multiple threads being created which cover the same topic.

*****In case you didn't know...If you want to attempt to share a Tiki Central post with your 500 Facebook friends you can just cut and paste the URL of the TC post and it will show up just like the 1500 YouTube links you see on Facebook every day.

Pages: 1 2 91 replies