Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

M-modern and Sven Kirsten present: THE CONTEMPORARY IDOL - Palm Springs, Feb.17th

Pages: 1 2 81 replies

Sven A. Kirsten invites You to contemplate:

THE CONTEMPORARY IDOL –
PRIMITIVE ART IN THE MODERN HABITAT

This exhibition pays homage to the enduring relationship between primitivism and modernism in the 20th Century. Not only was the inception of modern art inspired by the tribal arts, but beginning in the 50s, it became en vogue to juxtapose modernist environs with “primitive” carvings and wallhangings. One could even speak of a form of “anti-modernism”, the need to balance the antiseptic, clean lines of modern design with objects from the other end of the art spectrum, thus forming a Yin and Yang of esthetics.

I am happy to announce that this exhibit will open in conjunction with a solo show of new works by Bosko!

It will be a smashing opening for Modernism Week in Palm Springs!

Any participating artists, please feel free to post advance glimpses of your work for the show here.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2012-02-03 13:26 ]

The show looks like the prefect way to start off one of my favorite weekends of the year. Really looking forward to this!

Martini Kings just added to show! We always dig playing for sven and company!
If you never heard us before you can now download a track for .99 at http://www.cdbaby.com

[ Edited by: martini kings 2012-02-03 15:40 ]

TT

Hot dang! It's time for a trip to Palm Springs!

T

So cool to be asked . Im dropping off my pieces tomorrow after work . See ya there .

I love the modernism show been going for many many years! And one of the few things I don't drive 2 hours to!

Amy

Wouldn't miss Sven's show for anything! Plus Bosko and Shag...Great night with some great art!

I BE THERE!
:)

sooooo EXCITING!

Very honored to be a part of the show... mahalo Sven and good luck!

J
Jetson posted on Sat, Feb 4, 2012 5:35 PM

Wouldn't miss it. Can't wait to see everyone there!

Sven, Looks great! Any pre-event news on the featured artists? I can already guess 5 of them.

DC

Z
zond2 posted on Sat, Feb 4, 2012 8:40 PM

Fantastic, one more reason to leave early and get my snaps of Bombay Beach and Salton City and environs done so I can get into the Springs in time for this!

J
JOHN-O posted on Sun, Feb 5, 2012 9:14 PM

Sounds like an amazing show !!

But those high-brow modernists... Are they afraid to use the "T" word ?? :D

No, but to call this show a "Tiki" show would be limiting in this case: In my prompts for the artists I included African and abstract modern examples. Yes, this show will have a lot Oceanic art-inspired pieces in it, but the theme is more general mid-century modern "primitive art" than purely Polynesian pop Tiki.

congrats Sven,

gonna try to make it.
hope I catch a ride with someone,
don't trust my truck for the drive out there.

Jeff(btd)

Congratulations Sven you know I'll be there. A great night to view some beautiful art and mix. I bet the weather will be gorgeous, P.S. I love you!

Who is in charge of this? Just might have to be there.

Chris, c'mon by, it is an open-to-the-public art show opening. Jay Naylor is the gallerist, he handles the nuts and bolts of hanging, selling and shipping the art, I am the curator, who gets all the artists to throw in their considerable talent. Hopefully everybody sells their stuff and all end up happy! Now: Who's in charge?

Sven, interview?

Any participating artists, please feel free to post advance glimpses of your work for the show here.

Here you go Sven!

"Pool and Moonlight"
acrylic and cel-vinyl on gessoed masonite
16x20

"the Path"
acrylic and cel-vinyl on gessoed masonite
16x20

if you'd like to see some close-up details.....
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=19904&forum=18&start=2745&2769

See y'alls there!

Kinny, I wanna move in!

:music: Come on-a my house my house, I'm gonna give you candy
Come on-a my house, my house, I'm gonna give a you Apple a plum and apricot-a too eh.. :music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mriXncI96lw&feature=related

On 2012-02-08 20:45, chrisandsarahb wrote:
Sven, interview?

Sure, Chris. Maybe you wanna shoot that Saturday, I wanna go to the gallery then anyway to photograph the show without all those pesky people around. :)

THE MYSTIC ORDER OF MU

acrylic on masonite panel
9" x 12"

Nice! That frame gives it that finishing touch.

I knew it, this is gonna be a show where I will wanna keep a lot of the art for myself!

K

"Irony" 46"x18"x4"
Wood & Acrylic on Vinyl

Cool. Very Palm Springs. Should do well. :)

I'm hoping to hitch a ride in the TikiTonY time machine. looks like a good time Sven.

I am glad I will get to see you guys all there!

And I am also very excited that THE MARTINI KINGS will provide the evening's musical entertainment, something I have not mentioned here yet. I was sooo vibing to their vibe jazz last time I saw them, New Years at the Tonga Hut!

T

Looking forward to the opening!

Booked my room at the Caliente Tropics and am looking forward to opening night.

DC

On 2012-02-14 15:30, Dustycajun wrote:
Booked my room at the Caliente Tropics and am looking forward to opening night.
DC

Room parteee!

Thrilled to be a part of the show! Thanks for putting this whopper of a show together Sven.
Took my piece down last week, the weather was perfect! Lots of folks walking their dogs; nice chill vibe.
Can't wait to see all the work and how its put together.
We will be staying the weekend so hope to get to hang with some folks. See you there.

K
kirby posted on Wed, Feb 15, 2012 8:40 AM

Im stoked to be apart of this show!!We will be hanging out in palm springs as well this weekend..heres a lil sneaker of one of my pieces

T

Aloha everybody!

So excited to be part of this show!

Here's a peek at my pieces...

Looking forward to seeing the whole shebang on Friday night!

FRIDAY NIGHT 8PM
Art opening of 20 of my favorite artists curated by Sven Kirsten with live music from the MARTINI KINGS.
anyone up for some really fun times in palm springs? huh?? can't wait till friday!!
tiki folks have been asking... i will be bringing the ole martini kings suitcase to the gallery filled with about a dozen different martini kings cds for sale. only 10 clams and best part- no pesky shipping costs. just head towards the bandstand and grab one.

Just got a new airator, which can be strung around my neck, and a fresh bottle of Ron Abuelo 12 yr for some free pours at the opening, come say hello and bring a clean cup! I will be hiding by the games

And I'll be hiding right by you! :)

I, who live far, far away, lost in the depths of the Tiki Wastelands, will swallow my sorrow at missing a fantastic display of talent and bid many of my favorite artists (and commentators) a great show.

On 2012-02-17 06:10, Professor G wrote:
I, who live far, far away, lost in the depths of the Tiki Wastelands, will swallow my sorrow at missing a fantastic display of talent and bid many of my favorite artists (and commentators) a great show.

What he said!

Can't wait till tonight at the M Modern! Martini Kings perform at 8pm.

Looking forward to tonight!!!

So far I see;
Tiki-Ray
Lake Surfer
LLT
Sophista-tiki
Keigs
OceaOtica
Kirby
Tobunga

That leaves 12 mystery artists - are you gonna spill the beans?

I will see you all there. I'm planning an early Saturday morning hike up to Tahquitz Falls if anyone who is not hung over wants to join me :)

"Ha, ha - I whooped ya', I whooped ya' all! You'll think twice before messin' with Percival C. McLeach!"

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2012-02-17 13:46 ]

I am totally going. Just decided.
Spur o' the moment superstar of the rent-a-car style.
See y'all there!

AF

Wow! Looks like everything is falling into place for tonight’s opening reception, congrats to the Curator and all of the artists! Boy, I seem to always miss a lot of the cool events darn it!
Have a great time!

Anders: You ARE a cool event by yourself! :) I am actually gettin kind of scared by all the hoopla here...

As I can not be at the art show tonight,I look forward to walking it tomorrow.

Congrat's to all the Artist involved in the show and I hope the fan's are smart enough to walk away with some great art.

W

Still the best in show (in my opinion)

Have a great show, All of you!

LIVE FEED please, so those of us who cant be there can sort of be there. Atleast post pics asap.

what! no pics yet, everyone must be super hung over come on this is killing me!

Pages: 1 2 81 replies