Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Skateboard / Gope Board

Pages: 1 16 replies

H

Kim and I painted a skateboard to look like a gope board.

At a garage sale, Kim purchased an old beat up skateboard for five bucks. After we scraped off the old decals, sanded off the old paint and filled in the wood chips, we were left with this:

Next we stained the wood and started to sketch the design:

Acrylic paint:

No need for perfect lines or perfect symmetry.

The white paint is complete:

Now for the trim:

Trim is complete:

After five coats of clear lacquer, the skateboard is done:

This skateboard will not be hanging on a wall, it's meant to be used:

So, has anyone done this the other way around by mounting skateboard trucks/wheels to an actual gope board? It would certainly look great but I suppose it might be considered offensive to anybody from certain parts of Papua New Guinea. Plus the wood might not be strong enough. I dunno... Oh! But if anybody does try it, remember, you heard it here first! *

• In regards to any gope boards converted to skateboards please note that I take no responsibility whatsoever for any injuries or deaths which may occur.

I have been skateboarding for almost 20 years! i would love a board like that... if you look hard enough you can find clear(See Through) Grip Tape. That would make it 100%

Great idea Hakalugi (I'm not not just sayin' that because you're site administrator :D ) Skateboards are just screamin' to be made into gope boards.

Never get Tazed on a full bladder.
Life is short, smile while you still have your teeth.

Edited for serious spelling problems

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2012-02-05 22:33 ]

V
virani posted on Mon, Feb 6, 2012 1:48 AM

awesome. This is PNG Pop !
Now, I think I might steal the idea someday (and say it was my original idea of course) !!

Awesome job!

Is an ollie performed with the gope board called a "gollie?"

M

Ingenious!!

Makin Stuff! Haka, more more....

2 thumbs UP!

H

Thanks everyone! SLR, great suggestion on clear grip tape, perfect! I will track some down.

I've never heard of this being done Either way, but I like it!

Your sweetie won't be able to ride barefoot any more, but you could protect the paint job with some clear grip tape.

cool! let's see another?

Terrific. When I was a kid I painted THE BEATLES on my skateboard and thought that was so cool. I think yours are certainly cool. Wendy

Pretty cool great idea

That is one of the best art ideas I have seen in a while. Been a couple years since I've been on my board.I might make my own and it could get me all motivatin' and skatin' again.

P

M

[ Edited by poptiki on 2022-10-12 03:03:28 ]

HT

love these

C

Oh wow, I mean it looks amazing, and you have clearly created your own design which is influenced by the style (rather than copying one), v.good, but coming from Australia I'd be terrified to make something like this.

I can't speak for other Australians here, but I'm fairly cautious of basing artworks on indigenous/cultural/sacred objects.

For example, Aboriginal intellectual property is quite an issue here:
http://www.aboriginalartonline.com/resources/debate.php

(to clarify: I am not suggesting you're breaching any kind of cultural copyright here, I'm just saying I'm particularly cautious re: Aus Indigenous art. My friend is a tattooist, who just happened to tattoo traditional art designs on Aboriginal people who requested them. She ended up getting hate mail and death threats from ignorant folk who accused her of misappropriating cultural heritage).

[ Edited by: Canvas 2013-03-13 20:21 ]

[ Edited by: Canvas 2013-03-13 20:29 ]

Pages: 1 16 replies