Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Flap's mugs!! Hello out there, just started creating some mugs...

Pages: 1 2 53 replies

Hi y'all, after carving wood tikis for almost 3years now, i started to try the ceramic mugs as well. First i experimented with different clays and glazes, then i made another big mug, a small shot mug and last week the marquesan coconut! This is big fun! still loads to learn about it, but hey, whatever, i'm having fun and i guess that's what it's all about! :wink:
greetz
the first one...

the second one, called it the "HANA HOU" mug, or "one more time"

then i made the shot mug, small ones, happy with these!

...and at the moment i'm working on the "marquesan coconut", with a gap for the straw, but now i'm ready for some glaze for it!

BIG FUN! B-)

[ Edited by: wim"flap"thielemans 2012-09-27 08:21 ]

[ Edited by: wim 2012-09-27 08:22 ]

I'm surprised this is your first post. You are very good at this. Please from now on post your step by steps here so we may learn from you. My favorite is the coconut. Will you be selling these on Marketplace? I would like to own one. Cheers, Wendy

They all look good, but I think I'm gonna love that Coco-Marq!

skills = you have them

Great stuff!

Love the coconut a lot. Would also love to see you go deeper with the carving of that coconut to really make the piece pop.

Can't wait to see what else you post!

C

The Coconut Marq is AWESOME!!

& loving those little blue shot glasses, too!

Wow! Really like them all! Loving the Coconut too!!!

Flap, looks like the CocoMarq is a winner winner chicken dinner! Great job.

Just to echo the compliments above, NICE WORK!

Put me on a list for the Coconut Marquesan if you decide to make a run of them. :)

Thanks all for the comments!!
i'm reproducing the mugs too, so i guess it'll be possible to send 'em out...have to check for the postal costs, 'cause i'm living in belgium europe... :wink:

Just have to chime in to say how AMAZING your works are! I can't believe you're a beginner.

I'd love to be a buyer of your stuff too.

Flap, those came out aWeSoMe!!! Love the shots and like everyone else going nutz for that Marq Nut!! :wink: Keep em' coming... :drink:

Badass mugs, my favorite is the cooconut Marq!

Yeah that marquesan coconut is awesome!

Way kool

Very nice job, I am with everyone else on the Coco-Marq mug.

Thanks for posting, Wim. Both the glaze and the detail on those little shots are fantastic.

Nice work! Coconut Marq here too please :)

Aloha,
these are cool mugs...
the shots and the coconut are my faves.
do you already have some for sale or trade ?

cheers from switzerland,
HT

Coconut marq here too please.

Hey I'm in the UK, that's close!

at the moment i'm out of clay, but i do have 10mugs done. Except for the glaze. i'm testing some glazes to see what i want for it...i'll keep posting pics! thanks! all for showing interest!
greetz!
flap

E

Great designs - add me to "the list!"

Z

I am stunned!! Absolutely brilliant!
I would love to see all progress!
~Zero

thanks all for the nice words! i have been working on the new house over here, so there wasn't too much time left for the ceramic stuff. Also 'cause i was asked to make some big new tikis (orders)...so i started again a few days ago and in a few days i'll post some updates of the ceramic! Thanks for the interest!
cheers!
(for the people who asked to buy some off 'em, we're gonna fix that too!!!)thanks allready!
greetz 'n' aloha!!

Terrific I'll take that fix and the coconut mug too! Wendy

added the glaze, like a coconut, white on the inside, dark brown on the outside...
cheers!
B-)

M

MINE!

Excellent works Wim!

Sign me up!

Mahalo

McTiki

M

Hi, you do very nice work! I am interested in the marquesan coconut,I also liked the the blue shot glass mug.
mymotiki

Oh wow....can I get one of those?

That's freakin' cool!

coolio!

T

Wow! Great stuff! My favorite is the little blue shot glass!

I see a kiln in one of your pix... do you do your own firing? That's so cool!

Any pix of your tiki carving?

T

Wow! Great stuff! My favorite is the little blue shot glass!

I see a kiln in one of your pix... do you do your own firing? That's so cool!

Any pix of your tiki carving?

thanks all!
yes i bought a kiln some months ago and i do all the firing myself... ain't easy to figure it all out but one step at a time you know...
when i got enough mugs remade, i'm gonna check you guys for the orders you asked for, feels great to see the interest! thanks again!
(if ya wanna see some of my carvings check 'em @ creating tiki - tiki carving -topic: "Hello out there" Here are some....")
Greetz 'n' Aloha!

Aloha Flap, please let me know how to get the Coconut Marq.

hey y'all, had some problems with lots of cracks in the mugs lately, have solved the problem now, so mugs will be send within a few weeks, i'll contact you, don't worry... just opened the kiln and yes, result is NO CRACKS NO MORE! :) now glazing the outside of all...
cheers!

G
GROG posted on Fri, May 4, 2012 10:52 AM

If you have cracks in your bisque, don't throw them away. Fill the cracks with paperclay and refire.

There's also a product called Magic Mender that may fix them

Oh wow thanks guys!!! didn't know about those!!! thanks!!
At the moment i'm getting 'em out without cracks, i made the inside glaze, the transparant one not that thick no more, and after firing, they all got out without cracks!!! Happy!!

E

Love what you're doing, Flap!
Drop me a PM when you get a chance - I'd love to add a mug or two to my collection!

hey y'all tiki lovers! sorry for the major delay over here but illness, tiki events and tiki-orders have been a reason for delay to get all this fixed. I definitely will send my stuff around the world 'cause i appreciate it so much that you appreciate my stuff... :) but it has been too busy... created some tiki hangers just to test it out if this would work out...and i guess it will! So, in three weeks i got the big hollidays off, 2 months that is, and besides goin' on a major trip with my girlfriend to french polynesia, i'm gonna fix all the request 'bout the mugs here as well! See y'all around and many greetings from Belgium!! Mahalo! Flap

as you can see, new ceramic hangers, hollow on the inside so totally not heavy for a hanger!

(ooh yeah, hangers are ceramic! ...hollow on the inside...)

Awesome stuff Flap, do you know how many ounces or centiliters the hangers can hold?

Hey! Thanks! Well, i checked, and they're so small that it would only be like 15 ml!! :)
in this pic you see thay ain't that big...

cheers!

Cute little fellers Flap. Here in the States we would call those "pendants" instead of "hangers"

Hi there! have been way too busy goin' on a long holliday to polynesia, carving a haida totem to decorate the school area where i teach, making caustom tiki mugs for aussi buddies..., designing and cutting out my new car sticker,all took me too long! but now i'm back and busy with the new design, the "Flap's RUMMm", a tiki holding it's rum barrel! still testing a few new glazes, here's the first one, but the glaze is not the one i'm gonna use! when i got the official glaze done, i'll post it! greetz!
the haida totem, 3m60!

the new mug...

They all look great!

nice mugs!

Nice looking pole Flap, I noticed you mounted it above ground level to keep the moisture and bugs away. Cool mug, if you leave the top of the drum open you can pour 2 drinks into it (but you've have to use a straw to drink at least one or you'd spill the other one on your shoulder :lol: )

Pages: 1 2 53 replies