Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Don the Beachcomber's problems????

Pages: 1 2 85 replies

Quick question,

I'm planning a trip to LA for this fall and I had wanted to hit DtB's in Huntington Beach again (I haven't been there in over a year), however I've been hearing some disturbing reports from friends who've been to DtB's recently that the food, drinks & service there have been really bad of late. I would like to know what kind of experiences that fellow TCer's have had at Don's recently. Any personal reports would be greatly appreciated.

J

On 2012-02-22 22:08, JOHN-O wrote:

On 2012-02-21 16:50, bigbrotiki wrote:
The Mai Kai is not as much about a "foodie" experience as it is about soaking in the atmosphere....

Getting plastered on some yummy rum concoctions helps, of course. But leave any "home-made Falernum" attitude at your home bar :). The tradition of this Polynesian pop haven is singular and unassailable.

OK, I want everyone to contemplate the Bigbro's Tiki words of wisdom above. Just replace the word "Mai Kai" with "Hong Kong Inn". And keep in mind Uncle Jimmy and Uncle Tommy are reading this thread. They've been keeping it real for almost half a century just for you. Don't piss them off !!!

In this case replace the word "Mai Kai" with "Don the Beachcomber". :)

Didn't there use to be a Don's in Cincinnati?

There is no place like Don's around here anymore, It is the only place that makes me think I have gone back in time to the Tiki Palaces
of my youth, But they did hire alot of new bartenders, who may not make the best cocktails, Yet the place still has all the magic
that is Don's, So don't let that sway you from visiting.

I'm not sure what other experiences have been of late, but I was there last week and was blown away with the quality level of the food and drink.

Drinks were amazing and super subtle. The food was fantastic! They added a tea-smoked Chinese duck to the menu that was unbelievably great.

Of course, the setting is top-notch vintage tiki and must be experienced.

The band playing that nite (a Friday) was sorta bland country-rock and had more to do with local OC crowds than tiki, but I guess you can't have it all.

I really hope everyone who can supports the place with frequent visits. I truly believe the Don's takeover has been a great solution for a legendary tiki spot that was on the brink of destruction.

Just imagine how much it would suck if the place closed forever...

Keep up the good work Don's!!!

[ Edited by: tiki1963 2012-02-29 00:17 ]

[ Edited by: tiki1963 2012-02-29 21:12 ]

On 2012-02-29 00:04, Unga Bunga wrote:
Didn't there use to be a Don's in Cincinnati?

Nah. There was a Kon-Tiki here in Cincinnati. My parents used to go there before I was born (we're talking 1966 here). There was also the famous Kahiki up in Columbus, Ohio. That's about it for the great Tiki palaces in Ohio. There's butkus here in Ohio now.

Nice "Quick question"! We have discussed this here repeatedly, and yes, we all agree: In order for Tiki temples to survive, they need to have good service and food, and yes, we all deserve a bang for our buck. Yet I still maintain that if this is what you are looking for in a Tiki restaurant, you are into Tiki for the wrong reasons. In a perfect world, all Tiki places would look like the Mai Kai, play only Martin Denny and Exotica, mix cocktails like Jeff Berry, and serve food like Anthony Bourdain would croon over. Well, keep on looking.

On 2012-02-28 23:28, JOHN-O wrote:

On 2012-02-22 22:08, JOHN-O wrote:

On 2012-02-21 16:50, bigbrotiki wrote:
The Mai Kai is not as much about a "foodie" experience as it is about soaking in the atmosphere....

Getting plastered on some yummy rum concoctions helps, of course. But leave any "home-made Falernum" attitude at your home bar :). The tradition of this Polynesian pop haven is singular and unassailable.

OK, I want everyone to contemplate the Bigbro's Tiki words of wisdom above. Just replace the word "Mai Kai" with "Hong Kong Inn". And keep in mind Uncle Jimmy and Uncle Tommy are reading this thread. They've been keeping it real for almost half a century just for you. Don't piss them off !!!

In this case replace the word "Mai Kai" with "Don the Beachcomber". :)

FWIW, I was at the Mai Kai less than a year ago and I had a wonderful experience there; great food, wonderful service and top of the line, world class drinks. I had such a great time at the Mai Kai that my Wife & I are making a pilgrimage back there this June while we're in Florida. I've read accounts from people who have been to DtB's as recently as this past weekend who have had really bad experiences there. I've also read even worse reports of experiences at TV's LA, but that's not surprising coming from a TV's location at this point.

On 2012-02-29 00:15, tiki1963 wrote:
I'm not sure what other experiences have been of late, but I was there last week and was blown away with the quality level of the food and drink.

Drinks were amazing and super subtle. The food was fantastic! They added a tea-smoked Chinese duck to the menu that was unbelievably great.

Of course, the setting is top-notch vintage tiki and must be experienced.

The band playing that nite (a Friday) was sorta bland country-rock and had more to due with local OC crowds than tiki, but I guess you can't have it all.

I really hope everyone who can supports the place with frequent visits. I truly believe the Don's takeover has been a great solution for a legendary tiki spot that was on the brink of destruction.

Just imagine how much it would suck if the place closed forever...

Keep up the good work Don's!!!

[ Edited by: tiki1963 2012-02-29 00:17 ]

Thanks for the reply Tiki1963! It's really good to read about great experiences at DtB's. Tea smoked duck is a difficult to make Cantonese specialty, it's highly encouraging to learn that DtB's is putting an old-school dish like this on their menu.

[ Edited by: CincyTikiCraig 2012-02-29 01:44 ]

It's really looking like you are mistaking Tiki for the latest food fad. Reading "Yelp" a lot? Watching the food channel daily? There are MANY other restaurant genres out there that fit into that world beautifully. And to THEIR customers, I sound like a crazy person.

On 2012-02-29 00:17, bigbrotiki wrote:
Nice "Quick question"! We have discussed this here repeatedly, and yes, we all agree: In order for Tiki temples to survive, they need to have good service and food, and yes, we all deserve a bang for our buck. Yet I still maintain that if this is what you are looking for in a Tiki restaurant, you are into Tiki for the wrong reasons. In a perfect world, all Tiki places would look like the Mai Kai, play only Martin Denny and Exotica, mix cocktails like Jeff Berry, and serve food like Anthony Bourdain would croon over. Well, keep on looking.

You know, when I'm paying north of $10 per drink I don't feel that I'm being unreasonable in expecting a well crated cocktail that respects the traditions of Tiki Cocktaildom. Ditto for the food; I'm not expecting 5-Star La Grenouille cuisine, but I do expect food that's better than what I can get at the local Chinese carryout down the street from me here in Cincinnati. This is where TV's is really falling down on the job. Don't take my word for it, no less a figure than Beachbum Berry has been highly critical of TVs recently:

http://www.diffordsguide.com/class-magazine/read-online/en/2011-12-20/page-3/tiki?seen=1

"You've previously said you felt Trader Vic's legacy has been 'crapped on'. Why and by whom?"

"I said that about Trader Vic's [the restaurant group] because of the drinks. They are falling down on the job. I understand that they are expensive to make, but Vic was a quality control fanatic and God help you if you turned in anything less than a perfect drink in any of his 20 restaurants across the world. Today I don't see that quality control, they are not using the rums he would specify. I was in Atlanta recently and you don't get aged Martinique rum, or aged Jamaican rum in your Mai Tai - instead they use cheap well rums. I don't see the same attention paid to his recipes, but the hotel prices haven't dropped. I have enormous respect for Vic but being honest it does bother me when I have a Trader Vic drink and it's not what it used to be."

[ Edited by: CincyTikiCraig 2012-02-29 01:22 ]

On 2012-02-29 00:37, bigbrotiki wrote:
It's really looking like you are mistaking Tiki for the latest food fad. Reading "Yelp" a lot? Watching the food channel daily? There are MANY other restaurant genres out there that fit into that world beautifully. And to THEIR customers, I sound like a crazy person.

The hell you say. And don't lecture me on Tiki 'Bro. I won't support an establishment that serves lousy food and drinks. Period. Tiki or not. If you are saying that the best that we can hope for from Tiki is half-assed bars and restaurants that serve lousy food and poor quality drinks, then Tiki should die a dignified death. I for one reject your vision of what Tiki was, is, and should be, and I know that the Angels (Donn Beach & Vic Bergeron in particular) are on my side. Crappy establishments serving half assed food & drink are what killed Tiki the last time around, let's not repeat the mistakes of the past and kill Tiki all over again by repeating the mistakes of the past.

I go to Chicago regularly, and I supported the "new" TV's there religiously, making multiple trips there each and every time that I was in Chicago over recent years. However, when that restaurant began to serve shitty drinks and worse food, and played crappy music that ruined the ambiance (or no music so that they could have televisions blaring throughout the restaurant) I stopped going. I make top notch Mai Tais, Navy Grogs, Rum Barrels, etc at home, and I refuse to pay over $12 per drink to be served bottom shelf rums filled with mixers laden with high fructose corn syrup & artificial flavorings-which is what TV's is serving up these days. Sorry, but if that's the best that a restaurant or bar can offer up then it can suck seawater down in Davy Jones' Locker.

[ Edited by: CincyTikiCraig 2012-02-29 01:26 ]

For an abject study in the heights and the depths of Tiki establishments, please read my post from a little over a year ago detailing my visit to The Mai Kai and then to The Wreck Bar:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=38010&forum=1

J

Well if you're going to use the Mai Kai as the yardstick to measure your Tiki experience then you're likely to be disappointed with Don's. They do indeed have some new bar staff who are still honing their craft. On my last visit, my Dr. Funk was really off, I expressed my dissatisfaction, and then they remixed a much better cocktail. It really doesn't matter that much though, I'd still make the 30 mile drive just to drink beer in Don's historic Tiki splendor.

A great Tiki experience for me isn't always about the drinks. My most sublime Tiki time machine experience was in a place with the most disappointing cocktails, the Hala Kahiki just outside of Chicago. That may have even eclipsed my most excellent visit to the Mai Kai last year.

Don't get me wrong, I love my drinky drinks, but in some ways a straight bourbon in a vintage "dump" like the Hawaiian Room in Bellflower can be more Tiki satisfying than a Smuggler's Cove Rum Barrel.

History is something that can't just be created.

John-O & Sven...I concur!

I have very high culinary & cocktail expectations, Which if I apply to any Tiki Bar or restaurant
I would never eat or drink at any of those places, If that was why I went to them.

I never understood all the rave food reviews I hear most of the time, but It's the History, Atmosphere & Social factor
that makes these places great, Now if the Food & Drink is top notch all the better, Many of our Tiki Bars here are substandard
if you judge them only on cocktails alone, But I still love the places, It's not a perfect world.

One of my very favorite places is the "Tonga Room", But don't expect a decent cocktail there, Yet I would not
pass up an opportunity to go, Anytime, "The Bahooka", Great place, But the worst cocktails I have ever had, Still I go whenever I can.

Don's has so much going for it, You just can't write it off.

The role of Tiki Central (in my mind) is not to critique and bring down the few remaining Tiki palaces, but to preserve and appreciate them FOR WHAT THEY ARE. Tiki Central is not a restaurant criticism site, there are enough other ones like Yelp out there already in this "Everyone's a critic" world. I view Tiki Central as a cultural institution that is there to educate and enlighten the world on the unique artistic and creative concepts of the Tiki Lounge (yes, like my books did). It was THIS very cultural achievement that was not appreciated and dismissed in Tiki's heyday, and that almost disappeared completely without ever having been recognized as something unique.

Sometimes it seems that nowadays Tiki is taken as a given, as if it is always been there, something that can be compared to everything else out there and dealt with like that. To me it is a frail, multilayered art construct, a house of cards that if not treated with utmost sensitivity and understanding may topple at a careless move or word.

I simply do not understand the sense of entitlement that would make someone go onto a culture's main site, in the main forum, and open a thread with a negative header that simply by putting it in words will do anything else but help a business survive in these hard economic times.

H

I think the consensus is this:

If anybody into Tiki comes to Southern California that hasn't visited Don the Beachcomber and doesn't visit Don the Beachcomber, they are blowing it big time.

Plus, if you haven't seen the Hidden Village in DTB, you haven't seen DTB.

M

I completely agree that I do not go to tiki bars and restaurants based just on the quality of food and drink. Bahooka is amazing, but their drinks are so bad I would just get a beer. Still, like Chuck said, you should go to just see it. I go for the atmosphere and total experience. I understand that drink quality can falter from time to time, and that's no big deal for me. There can be 100s of small reasons that may culminate in a random bad drink or dish. And I hate yelp. Not many take the time to write a good review, but everyone has the time to rip a place apart.

However, the one thing I won't accept is bad service. There is no excuse for that, no matter what your business is. I try to make the Monday TC nights when I can at Don's. My last time there was the worst service I've ever gotten in any restaurant, period. And I'm not talking about just not living up to a certain expectation, but I was given the f-you attitude for misstakes they made.

I'll still go to Don's when I can to support it in these rough times. I'll be there Sunday. My business is tiki and I'm here to support it. However, I am a drinker. My last, local tiki bar was great with amazing service all the time. I would drive cross island in evening traffic 3+ days a week to drink there. My last experience at don's keeps me from hanging out there on a regular basis.

S

On 2012-02-29 00:45, CincyTikiCraig wrote:

On 2012-02-29 00:17, bigbrotiki wrote:

You know, when I'm paying north of $10 per drink I don't feel that I'm being unreasonable in expecting a well crated cocktail that respects the traditions of Tiki Cocktaildom. Ditto for the food; I'm not expecting 5-Star La Grenouille cuisine, but I do expect food that's better than what I can get at the local Chinese carryout down the street from me here in Cincinnati. This is where TV's is really falling down on the job. Don't take my word for it, no less a figure than Beachbum Berry has been highly critical of TVs recently:

http://www.diffordsguide.com/class-magazine/read-online/en/2011-12-20/page-3/tiki?seen=1

"You've previously said you felt Trader Vic's legacy has been 'crapped on'. Why and by whom?"

"I said that about Trader Vic's [the restaurant group] because of the drinks. They are falling down on the job. I understand that they are expensive to make, but Vic was a quality control fanatic and God help you if you turned in anything less than a perfect drink in any of his 20 restaurants across the world. Today I don't see that quality control, they are not using the rums he would specify. I was in Atlanta recently and you don't get aged Martinique rum, or aged Jamaican rum in your Mai Tai - instead they use cheap well rums. I don't see the same attention paid to his recipes, but the hotel prices haven't dropped. I have enormous respect for Vic but being honest it does bother me when I have a Trader Vic drink and it's not what it used to be."

I agree. And I agree with BigBro.

I agree with you because DtB is a new place. They set themselves up at DtB and I would go in there expecting a DtB cocktail that is a reasonabel example of the quality I make at home. I'd really expect better actually! But, I'd accept it being close. If it was off the mark, that is a reason that we can all expect the place to fail, and do we want that? As you say, that's why Tiki died in the first place.

And I would also agree with BigBro because DtB is in a vinatge location. If their drinks suck, order a hi-ball and enjoy the location while you can.

This a NEW tiki establishment in an OLD location. So it should both be held to high standards as any restaurant and Tiki bar, and it should be appreciated as a cultural icon, which it is.

When you go to Hala Kahiki, it is the place that is king and we fogive the drinks. When we go to Smuggler's Cove, it is the drinks that are king and the location is secondary. Would anyone argue that if the drinks at the Cove started sucking we should continue to go for the decor?

How about simplifying it like this: When you go to a Titty Bar your are paying high prices for a beer because you wanna see the Titties, when you are going to an original Tiki Bar your food and drink bill is mainly your ticket to see the Tikis. :D

(This just to show that I can think on a different than my above holier-than-thou level)

JB

Well...when you put it that way....

Some people want to turn one disappointing experience into a trend. Every restaurant has an occasional off night. The Synders have tried very hard to re-create Don the Beachcomber's vision. We now have a real (or, at the very least, a reasonable facsimili of) Don the Beachcomber back on the mainland after 20 years since the last one closed.

Tiki Places have never been known for their food. Don's is better than most. Thet have reduced their menu some recently, but I think that the quality of the food is still quite good. At the very least, just have appetizers during happy hour. I particularly enjoy the brie quesadilla with kalua pork. That and some sliders and it feels like you have had an entire meal. On the dining room menu the huli huli chicken with coconut rice is very good and well worth the price. I have not had the duck yet. I think I will have that the next time I go there for dinner.

As far as the drinks, I give them two thumbs up. It is true IMO that some of the drinks were better when Marie was there, and all were more consistent in their quality. The quality of any drink seems to depend most on which bartender made it. The more popluar drinks tend to be the most consistent because the bartenders have the most experience with them. Currently, those are the mai tai and the penang afrididi. I quite like the Penang Afrididi. My favorite during Marie's tenure, the Three Dots and a Dash, is the one that has probably degraded the most since Marie's departure, but can still be very good if you can find a bartender that can do it correctly. A bunch of new cocktails have been added to the menu. All in all, the drinks are better than you are going to get in most LA/OC bars.

So don't take the advice of complainers so seriously. If you are into tiki and you are in the area, you should go to Don the Beachcomber and decide for yourself.

AF

On 2012-02-29 09:42, bigbrotiki wrote:
How about simplifying it like this: When you go to a Titty Bar your are paying high prices for a beer because you wanna see the Titties, when you are going to an original Tiki Bar your food and drink bill is mainly your ticket to see the Tikis. :D

Sven, that is a concept I accept & understand! Frickin' hilarious!!!

I dont know if this will help answer your question, but this past Weekend, we had 200 people at our show at Don's and people have said nothing but good things about the food, drinks and service...
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=42150&forum=17&start=45

Service at our past shows has always been an issue, but this time it seems that Art, Emerson, and the crew at Don's finally had it wired, so Kudos to them, and good for us !

Either way, if you don't live here, and have never been to Don's, you'd be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't visit Don's , Tonga Hut, Bahooka, Vics, Tiki Ti....all the LA tiki bars...they're the last of a dying breed....especially the older ones that are still going.

Craig,

I suggest that if you can go on a sun evening, thru thurs evening.
weekends are pretty busy, and service can be spotty.

If you can, come on monday and hang out with us in the bar after you have dinner in the dining room.
we are usually by the TV in the front of the bar, from 6 ish to 9 ish.

My drink suggestion is the rum barrel. Its the most consistent.
as for food, I usually stick to the bar menu, for price reasons.
but I have heard most of the seafood is really good.

Cheers,
Jeff(btd)

In my opinion, Sams and Kona sucked big time. Service bad, food bad...everything but the decor bad. And If I could have beaten that smarmy shaved headed bartender up and gotten away with it...I would have. Guy was a first rate jerk-off that ruined the experience for me.

Don's under Art Snyder is excellent in every way. Last time I ate there, I had the sliders...they were incredibly good! Art is doing things right. I only hope it lasts, but I know in my heart it won't...and Don's will be condos. Sad. Art rocks!

Keep bagging on Don's. You will only hasten it's demise.

On 2012-02-29 09:42, bigbrotiki wrote:

(This just to show that I can think on a different than my above holier-than-thou level)

If Tiki = Titties then Don's is a real Swanky high end "Titty Bar" one where the "Rat Pack" would & did hang!
Can you dig it, Man!

No, no, and no. Service and quality can not and must not suck. It's that simple. I am driving a total of 250 miles next week to join the crowd on Monday for my semiannual jaunt to DtB. I love the place. Go there when I can. However, I expect good service, decent food, and real tiki drinks. Period.

I supported places like the Puka Bar, Bahookas, and the Puple Orchid for what they are, but I feel DtB must have its feet held to a higher standard by US. It's the name, the legend, and everything we hold dear. It's our job to speak up to management and complain.

I get it, I'm not going to get a Prime Steakhouse experience, but then again, I'm not going there for a French dinner experience.

If we send a message to management that we tolerate lower standards, management will only be happy to oblige. And believe it or not,

Don the Beachcomber's management wants us to complain loudly when things are not up to the standards they should be.

And no, they do NOT want us to LOUDLY COMPLAIN! They maybe want us go and tell the manager or Art in person IF something was not to our liking, and offer some constructive criticism, but d'ya reall think they want us to plaster it all over the internet!? How can anyone actually believe that is doing good?

At this point I don't really care if I will sound snobby saying this here, but all you Johnny-come-latelies with your consumerist, bourgeois attitudes of entitlement really rub me wrong. Tiki is not about stuffing your face and getting sloshed. It is about the fact that it is amazing that these original Tiki environs still exist. Years ago, when Tiki was new, the sense of amazement and humility about it was shared in the community, now it seems it is all taken for granted and measured by "The Food Channel" standards.

These are and were frickin' THEME RESTAURANTS! Since when were they about food? And I know for a fact that if you are using the Beachbum's writings as an excuse to bash classic Tiki places, you will be swiftly dis-owned by his majesty himself. And one more time, do not come back with the excuse that you "care" about these places and want them to succeed, this is NOT the way to go about it. I am not declaring a "ban" on all critical attitudes about food and service, but there is the smart and caring way to go about it, and there is the loudmouth "I want my money's worth" way to do it. Pick and choose.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2012-02-29 20:16 ]

Amen, BigBro!

On 2012-02-29 19:56, bigbrotiki wrote:
At this point I don't really care if I will sound snobby saying this here, but all you Johnny-come-latelies with your consumerist, bourgeois attitudes of entitlement really rub me wrong. Tiki is not about stuffing your face and getting sloshed. It is about the fact that it is amazing that these original Tiki environs still exist. Years ago, when Tiki was new, the sense of amazement and humility about it was shared in the community, now it seems it is all taken for granted and measured by "The Food Channel" standards.

YEA, how DARE we effete, latte sipping bourgeois consumerists expect a decent drink or service for our 12 or 15 dollars? Why the unmitigated gall!!! I got almost a dozen PM's from TCer's who didn't want to post publicly telling me about one horrible experience at DtB's after another, Indifferent or rude service, lousy food and bad drinks. Maybe that's your idea of Tiki 'Bro, but it sure as hell isn't mine, and it wasn't Donn Beach or Vic Bergeron's idea of Tiki either. Enjoy your crappy drinks 'Bro.

[ Edited by: CincyTikiCraig 2012-02-29 20:17 ]

T

holy crap. i just remembered why i rarely post on TC.

how this guy's simple, reasonable question turned into feeding frenzy-esque attack is incredible.

On 2012-02-28 23:04, CincyTikiCraig wrote:
Quick question,

I'm planning a trip to LA for this fall and I had wanted to hit DtB's in Huntington Beach again (I haven't been there in over a year), however I've been hearing some disturbing reports from friends who've been to DtB's recently that the food, drinks & service there have been really bad of late. I would like to know what kind of experiences that fellow TCer's have had at Don's recently. Any personal reports would be greatly appreciated.

Let us all know when you come to town.

Why is it so hard to understand that it was the way and the place the question was posed that was unwise?

T

On 2012-02-29 21:12, bigbrotiki wrote:
Why is it so hard to understand that it was the way and the place the question was posed that was unwise?

what is this? church?

Nope, just a site that is primarily there for the appreciation and preservation of Tiki culture - not food culture. There are other sites for that.

......which is why there's no Tiki Food & Drink section on TC, right 'Bro?

....which brings us back around to:

Why is it so hard to understand that it was the way and THE PLACE the question was posed that was unwise?

On 2012-02-29 21:21, bigbrotiki wrote:
Nope, just a site that is primarily there for the appreciation and preservation of Tiki culture - not food culture. There are other sites for that.

By loudly complaining, I am stating that the owners do want you to tell them - in a clear and forthright manner. Preferably face to face.

However, tiki culture as we know it began with a way to sell rum and then a way to feed the people who were drinking rum. Let's be clear about this, if it were only about tiki's we could go to a museum.

The food at Dons in Sunset was thought of as being above par. So were the drinks. In fact, especially the drinks. We all know that Don the Beachcombers was a step above Purple Orchid and others because it was a place where one could enjoy the atmosphere- and that meant the decor as well as the drinks.

You know, of all people, that if the masses loose interest, the restaurant will fail. We are simply not a large enough crowd to keep any business going. We have a responsibility to encourage the places we love to step it up.

The question poised at the beginning of this thread was a sincere question. It merits response and discussion.

I 've been chasing this thing called tiki since 1982. I hardly think of myself as a neophyte.

T

ok, sven. i'll raise ya one.

you know i want to preserve that culture just as much, if not more than anybody.

i don't presume to know everything about the best cuisine or tropical drinks (i'm a scotch man myself), i can say with some common sense authority that the best way to keep these places alive is to encourage them to do what they are in business for; the serve food and drinks. presumably, the better one does so, the longer they stay in business.

let's face it, it's not JUST the 'tiki fad' that killed the tiki restaurants and bars of old. it was the quality.

although your strip joint metaphor made me giggle, it really is incorrect. if nice titties are what your looking for and not the beer, then really, the tikis are what shouldn't matter. the general public is going to don's because it's a restaurant. they want food and drink. tikis are secondary. perhaps not to you and me, but trust me, the minute they lose the patronage of the 90% of their clientele who want to ingest and imbibe, they go out of business.

you, me and the rest of the population on Tiki Central won't be able to keep them in business alone.

using your titty metaphor, what you should open is a tiki culture museum-THAT would be a titty bar. and i'd bet you'd be at the ATM every two minutes!

honestly, i just disagree that is matter not if these places have good food/drinks. it's simply why they are in business.

take Damon's in Glendale for example. when the new owners took over, they enhanced the food and drinks to the point that almost any given day, there's a line to be seated, ensuring it's survival. let's walk next door to Porto's. why is there always a huge line out the door? they are good at what they are in business for: to sell excellent baked goods.

a tiki restaurant is just that. a place to sell food. if they do it well, they thrive. they don't, they die. (and then i buy all their shit).

i think it's very important Don's continues to do well.

perhaps this poor schmuck who started this thread couldda asked the question better, but i think it stands as a legitimate query.

i also believe that instead of jumping down the guy's throat for semantics, we could use the opportunity to showcase the good work Don's is doing and steer more customers their way.

aloha!

So when it was painfully obvious that Trader Vic's Chicago was on it's last leg and closing nobody should have discussed that here either, right?

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=40138&forum=1

Just because YOU like DtB's and it's your hangout doesn't that the restaurant shouldn't be discussed in an honest manner on TC, just like we've discussed the state of countless other restaurants and bars over the years.

[ Edited by: CincyTikiCraig 2012-02-29 21:54 ]

On 2012-02-29 21:44, tiki1963 wrote:

perhaps this poor schmuck who started this thread couldda asked the question better, but i think it stands as a legitimate query.

i also believe that instead of jumping down the guy's throat for semantics, we could use the opportunity to showcase the good work Don's is doing and steer more customers their way.

aloha!

Here, Here! So well stated.

[duplicate post, sorry]

[ Edited by: CincyTikiCraig 2012-02-29 21:53 ]

T

I was in L.A. last weekend for 2 days. I had a friend visiting me in Vegas and she had never been to Hollywood, so we did a little road trip.

Thursday night we started at Tonga Hut where Marie came up to make us some awesome drinks. We then moved on to Tiki Ti and drank there for 3 hours. Top notch as always. Even tried some new drinks (to us) by spinning the wheel and wasn't disappointed.

Saturday evening we started at Trader Sam's and thoroughly enjoyed my first visit there and will be back for more. From there we moved on to DTB and then finished the night at Purple Orchid where we also had excellent drinks.

So my review of Donn's - Weakest drinks of the 5 places, but they weren't bad, just not consistent or up to par with the name Don's. After the ridiculous classic rock band started, we couldn't leave fast enough. I fully understand the need to fill the bar and pay the bills, but this was awful, and I like classic rock. The singer acted like he was David Lee Roth circa 1979 and they were so loud, you would have thought they were in the back, big room. The drinks were much better when Marie was there.

With so many choices in the L.A./Orange area, every tiki bar would do well to put out a quality cocktail. If not, time to go elsewhere. If Frankei's Tiki Room (here in Vegas) started making shitty cocktails, there is no other tiki bar here, so we'd have to tuff it out.

On 2012-02-29 21:53, TikiPug wrote:
I was in L.A. last weekend for 2 days. I had a friend visiting me in Vegas and she had never been to Hollywood, so we did a little road trip.

Thursday night we started at Tonga Hut where Marie came up to make us some awesome drinks. We then moved on to Tiki Ti and drank there for 3 hours. Top notch as always. Even tried some new drinks (to us) by spinning the wheel and wasn't disappointed.

Saturday evening we started at Trader Sam's and thoroughly enjoyed my first visit there and will be back for more. From there we moved on to DTB and then finished the night at Purple Orchid where we also had excellent drinks.

So my review of Donn's - Weakest drinks of the 5 places, but they weren't bad, just not consistent or up to par with the name Don's. After the ridiculous classic rock band started, we couldn't leave fast enough. I fully understand the need to fill the bar and pay the bills, but this was awful, and I like classic rock. The singer acted like he was David Lee Roth circa 1979 and they were so loud, you would have thought they were in the back, big room. The drinks were much better when Marie was there.

With so many choices in the L.A./Orange area, every tiki bar would do well to put out a quality cocktail. If not, time to go elsewhere. If Frankei's Tiki Room (here in Vegas) started making shitty cocktails, there is no other tiki bar here, so we'd have to tuff it out.

Thanks for the review TikiPug. I've had nothing but great experiences at Tiki Ti. Can't wait to get to Frankei's if I ever make it back to Vegas!

On 2012-02-29 21:53, TikiPug wrote:
I fully understand the need to fill the bar and pay the bills, but this was awful, and I like classic rock. The singer acted like he was David Lee Roth circa 1979 and they were so loud, you would have thought they were in the back, big room.

pug...

i know! who was that joker? wot a tool! ridiculously fun to watch him preen though.

again, my point is precisely that these places will do what they need to in order to stay in business. i'm certain, if enough people went there, insisting on Martin Denny and filling the joint, that's what they would do.

food and drink is definitely subjective. i can only speak for my experience last week, and it was really good.

.....but that rock queen needs to check his shit.

Pages: 1 2 85 replies