Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tiki mug preservation

Pages: 1 5 replies

D

[ Edited by: DaneTiki 2009-08-30 19:21 ]

Maybe clear nail polish? Build up several coats until the depression is filled in? Just a guess, I really don't know if that would work.

J
JTD posted on Sat, Jun 14, 2003 9:29 PM

On 2003-06-14 14:58, DaneTiki wrote:
I just received a mug from my loving girlfriend (who goes thrifting several times a week.) etc.

Any suggestions?

Just get down on your knees and thank God (or deity of your choice).

I've been trying to find a girlfriend like that for ages, but the Mrs. is resisting.

-JTD :)

S

I know an art conservator and he says that epoxy is nice for things like glazes and jade and such, but you have to do a lot of testing with various pigments, etc. Could be more work than you'd like, but he showed me a piece in a gallery and I couldn't tell the difference between the jade and the epoxy.

I have had similar type of chips on two of my mugs. One actually didn't come off, but it would have with just the right "lift" if you ran your hand across it. The other is on a new Bali Hai mug with the lid where the chip actually came off. As a quick fix I used "Aleene's Jewel-It" Embellishing Glue. It's a jewelers glue that dries clear and will hold through repeated washings. I carefully rub a dab throughout the chip, took a damp washcloth to remove the excess and let the rest of the glue dry.

To date, the chips in both mugs have held, and the glue dried clear exactly as the bottle said it would and have had no problems so far. Maybe it will work for you?

Good suggestion SCD. Any idea if this will work on hairline cracks?
Aloha,
:tiki:

Pages: 1 5 replies