Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

Soda Mixology

Pages: 1 4 replies

I know tiki drinks should have alcohol in them, but I get really stoked about mixing my own soda pop (and then people can mix it with adult stuff if they want). Does anyone else in LA like to do this? Is there a way I can corner the LA tiki bar market on specialty mixers? I'm talkin' stuff you can't get at Galco's. Blazing Inferno Chile Water made with sriracha might sound disgusting, but mickey it into your bloody mary brunch, and it's awesome. I'm very excited about my new book I got in the mail yesterday: Homemade Soda by Andrew Schloss.

I am certainly not a mixologist...so I admire you for swinging out and experimenting with mixers. Be sure to post some of your favorite concoctions here...an pictures of your experiments. Good luck!

Thanks, will do, VampiressRN :)

H

Pantsenfuego, there's another book you should definitely check out.

"Fix the Pumps" by Darcy O'Neil

From the Back Cover:
Fix the Pumps tells the real history of the soda fountain, starting with its invention, through its golden era of creativity and its dependence on patent medicine and narcotics. The history of the soda fountain is as vibrant as any other period in American history.Fix the Pumps documents a wealth of information on soda fountain techniques, employed in the 1800s, and includes recipes that span the spectrum from simple concoctions to complex formulations using ingredients like aromatic elixir, Lactart and Acid Phosphate.This information is invaluable to anyone who enjoys creative drinks and recipes.

Some Reviews:
Read it not just for those revelatory recipes, but for its provocative take on their cultural, economic, and medical impact on generations gone by. You'll never think of soda fountains as wholesome Happy Days nostalgia again. --Jeff "Beachbum" Berry

Time travel never tasted so good. --Craig "Dr. Bamboo" Mrusek

Reading Fix the Pumps is like finding the key for that painted-over door in the corner you've never really paid any attention to, unlocking it and revealing a whole furnished room you never even realized was there. --David Wondrich author of Imbibe!

Ha! You're psychic Hakalugi! I was wondering about that book when I saw it on amazon. I especially like the front cover because I like to feel like I'm a mad scientist when I am mixing liquids and such (Or maybe I've been watching too much Weird Science, oingo boingo styles ;))

I'm a total dork and pre-ordered "The Artisan Soda Workshop: 75 Homemade Recipes from Fountain Classics to Rhubarb Basil, Sea Salt Lime, Cold-Brew Coffee and Much Much More." I mean, maybe I should get through the other 200 recipes I just got in the mail yesterday ;)

Also, not to sound like a dork, but Finding Nemo is coming out in 3D soon, and all I could think about was your handle name while re-watching it yesterday at work ;)

Pages: 1 4 replies