Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

The Boom Boom Room

Pages: 1 20 replies

We've got this 3 season room off out 1950's Cape Cod that must've been a self-made home renovation long ago. Basically bricks and storm windows... I'm actually waiting for it to collapse under it's on weight some day. But until then it's my Boom Boom Room (or rather at least six months out of the year it is).

It stated slowly, a few things here and there, but was kicked up a notch two summers ago when I lined most of it in split bamboo, last year was a great find of a vintage rattan sectional, this year already it's a Witco bar. At this rate it should be killer by 2050 :)

I don't have many pics, but I wanted to start this thread to kick it into gear.

Here's a teaser:

So, the name has various sources, which I think makes it that much better, most I've learned of after the name stuck:
1927-2008 a bar in Laguna Beach, first a serviceman's bar and then a gay bar from 1940's onward (no tiki)
(the term Boom Boom was supposedly Navy speak for sex)
1960's play about a bisexual go-go dancer (probably no tiki)
Nightclub in the Fontainebleu hotel, Miami Beach
Same nightclub was a locale on "Surfside Six", where Cha Cha O'Brien and the Boom Boom Boys performed. Both in the 60's
Portland strip club (tiki? doubt it)
Possibly the home bar/game room of Rob Zombie, media room of Mariah Carey's, and glow in the dark, psychedlia room of Fieldy's, bassist of Korn (or "Mtv Cribs" used it as an odd generic term at some point)
The Standard in New York's club, although it's no longer officially called that, it seems to have stuck also. (no tiki, but glass bathroom stalls overlooking the High Line)

[ Edited by: Pittsburgh pauly 2013-03-13 14:51 ]

Can't wait to see more!

more more more

Sounds like it is shaping up nicely...keep up the great work and post more pics. Cheers :drink:

Thanks for the encouragement! I'll get working on some pics.

looking pretty cool. I will be looking for more pics. Aloha!!!!!!

HT

If we ever find a day to have our booze potluck, I'll have to get some pics for you.

Got a few pics when I had some ohana over this weekend. Hopefully more to come:

Edited to get the pics right (or closer to right).

[ Edited by: Pittsburgh pauly 2012-06-25 14:47 ]

Some more, Thanks Melody.

Appears delightfully bambooed and appropriately cluttered...and looks like your group had a great time. Way to go Pittsburgh Ohana!!!!

On 2012-06-26 17:48, VampiressRN wrote:
Appears delightfully bambooed and appropriately cluttered...and looks like your group had a great time. Way to go Pittsburgh Ohana!!!!

Thanks Vampiress!

I've been thinking that I should really add more photos, but It'll have to be in the spring when I can re-open the Boom Boom Room for the season.
Until then, I stumbled across this one of the sectional and Co Co Joes.

Wow...that is a gorgeous corner unit. Thanks for updating, you are doing a great job.
:drink: Cheers

Pauly,

I too am anxiously awaiting the time when I can reopen my tiki space. It's hard to live through the winter,isn't it? Can't wait to see more pictures of your space in a few weeks.

Pauly,

I too am anxiously awaiting the time when I can reopen my tiki space. It's hard to live through the winter,isn't it? Can't wait to see more pictures of your space in a few weeks.

HT

Maybe in the spring I'll come shoot it for you, so you have some good shots for here.

Love the sectional

Jon

The sectional was a Craigslist find, $100 for four upholstered pieces (two ends, two middles) the corner table, a round cocktail table and a matching lamp with coordinating fabric on the shade (a total loss).
Faded and filthy, it looks like it was in a basement playroom for dogs, but it cleaned up good enough.

Score
(Pittsburgh...I have to toss this in somewhere on your thread...Go Steelers...)
:)

Jon

Still no overall shots, but I found a couple more atmospheric ones.
What's with that? I blame rum.

and along with the Spring thaw this year came a little flooding.

[ Edited by: Pittsburgh pauly 2013-03-13 14:44 ]

[ Edited by: Pittsburgh pauly 2015-04-02 13:47 ]

Don't know why I had a couple of empty posts, so I'm editing them.

Not easy to see, but it's a thatched roof shelving unit home made from plans in "Pad: The Guide to Ultra-Living"

[ Edited by: Pittsburgh pauly 2013-03-13 14:44 ]

[ Edited by: Pittsburgh pauly 2015-04-02 13:51 ]

Pages: 1 20 replies