Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

Hula Bula Bar Devilles pad Perth is Bullshit!

Pages: 1 2 replies

I recently worked a sculpture event in Perth WA Australia, I was stationed in perth for six weeks. Being the tikiphile I am, I thought the most obvious spot to visit would be the Hula Bula Bar. My first introduction to this well designed , yet horribly managed bar, was a refusal of entry. The refusal came in the form of you can not come in , because you are not wearing socks. I am a pretty tolerant guy, and understand the neccesity for dress codes, yet when you get refused entry at tiki bar, while dressed in a standard issue Tiki/hawaiian shirt, and my typical cap'n pharaoh castaway look I found it to be a very disheartening. I had come 4000km from the otherside of Australia specifically to see this one bar and have a much needed outing with my wife on our anniversary might I add. And was refused entry for socks. Strike one. I then proceeded to the sister operation devilles pad, where I was greeted a lil bit better and had a nice evening in their las vegas devils' lounge gogo dancing over the top radness. So despite being refused entry at the hula bula, I thought this could be okay. Two weeks later I organised a nice dinner for our event staff wrap up, to be held at devilles pad. I spoke with the manager David , and let them know that a small group of 10 would come down to see the band "rocket from memphis". Have a few drinks an unwind after working 19 hour days for the last six weeks. Upon arrival I introduced myself , was let in, paid for the entire group to come in. And had a nice brief chat with the door lady. Then it all went to shit. One of my crew, (whom I briefed on the dress code, and made him wear slacks which he normally does not wear.) was refused entry by the over zealous security crew. The reason being that he was a 37 year old man who could not provide adequate Identification. Last I checked in Australia it is not mandatory to carry identification. I pretty sure I don't need a barcode tattoo on my forehead, at least not until the national identification card scheme comes in. So after asking to speak with the manager, who would not make an appearance, I was then threatened with physical violence by the bouncers whilst I had to wait for my refund for the 8 people I had just paid for. Devilles pad claims to be a bastion for the alternative subculture orientated people. The fucking menu was designed by one of my favs derrick yanniger, the decor has coop elements , tiki farm mugs....the whole package, But what it doesn't have is a management that think beyond the bounds of the black and white policies, there is never any shades of grey. I think it's really average and a sign of mediochrity and conformist values. Here, I thought this was what we were fighting against one mai tai at a time. I am on my way back to sydney this afternoon , yet when I arrive I will be posting pictures and more detailed information. this is absolute bullshit!

Cap'n Pharaoh
Fair thee well!

Wow...that is totally insane, as if socks make you a better person. Obviously they have some kind of a click going on and are not interested in demonstrating customer service to folks outside of their select audience. Sad that you did so much to arrange a group event and it did not work out. Hope you have better service elsewhere.

Yeah, needless to say it was so dissapointing,and put alot of genuine hardworking people off. So much for Ohana. Drinks at my place? (much better idea)!

Pages: 1 2 replies