Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

mezzanine bed in a tiki room ?

Pages: 1 27 replies

V

Aloha,

So I'm moving soon, and need to think of the new tiki room.
It would be great to do a tiki room / guest bedroom, so I'm thinking of adding a Mezzanine bed such as this one :

Anyone ever did that ? I'm looking for inspiration.
I could paint it to make it more dark wood to blend with the tiki decor and lighting. What do you think ? I could even hide the barrels or use it to put paintings or decor. And put a sofa under it.

The room is pretty big and very high.

How about a Mid Century Modern style Day Bed?

You will have a nice lounge for sitting & a bed.

how high are the ceilings?

are you renting or will you own?

if i had high enough ceilings and i owned, i would build a loft over the bar, then add some thatch in the front to look like a roof/canopy :)

V

Yeah, no, I'm renting. But that's a good idea.

It's 3 metres high (10 feet)...
I was looking for a nice sofa with a tiki feel but I can't find anything. I thought I could disguise the wood with bamboo, and cover the bed, I don't know.

I think covering that bed frame with bamboo would be great. A couch or chairs sitting underneath that would be kind of fun. You could cover the underneath part in matting and hang a couple of Tiki style lamps on either side towards the back. It would definitely allow you to take full advantage of floor space in the room. I like your idea.

V

Thanks. yeah, that's a good idea.

ok, well with 10 feet high ceilings and renting, if it were my situation i would prefer to build something custom like a loft out of typical wood framing members then stain it / apply bamboo etc to make it look right :) if you don't feel like building something, the image you show above is probably a good start - again, staining it dark, adding bamboo etc.

or of you were really hardcore, the structural posts could be tikis -

here are some quick links i found for the "self-build" approach - http://www.nwmissouri.edu/reslife/Residence_Hall_Life/lofts.htm
http://theluxhome.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Kitchen-with-mini-bar-and-living-room-loft-apartment-redesign-1.jpg
http://reslife.tamu.edu/housing/amenities/lofts/construction/termsTechniques/crossSupports.asp
http://www.collegebedlofts.com/loft_height.html

V

Wow. how about some vacation in France mr dollah :) ? i can't see myself building that.
but yeah, I see the possibilities.

I went down the route of buying a brown faux leather sofa without any arms. That way there is seatinmg in the bar and it easy coverts into a double bed.

On 2012-04-02 23:44, virani wrote:
Wow. how about some vacation in France mr dollah :) ? i can't see myself building that.
but yeah, I see the possibilities.

i would LOVE to... argh i wish i was independently wealthy...

M
Murph posted on Tue, Apr 3, 2012 2:09 PM

My wife was good with building out the Tiki Room as long as we didn't lose the Mother-in-law quarters part of it so after looking at several options this is what we found:

OMG Murph...I am wiping the drool off my computer. That is awesome!!!

Gorgeous sofa Murph.

totally!!! what is the provenance of that item, is it vintage or of recent construction? either way is is amazing!

I'm Slacks Ferret, and I approve this hide-a-bed.

V
virani posted on Wed, Apr 4, 2012 8:25 AM

Wow, i wish we could find a bed like that !

Our brown leatherette sofa bed, and as a bonus the whole middle section can be pulled down as a table/drinks rest.

W

I think one could build a really amazing enclosed booth seating area under a loft bed. This could be done even in a relatively small room. (The bench part of the seating area could even have hinged seats with storage space below.)

Imagine this...

With an area like one of these under it...

Ditto on that...along the same lines I was thinking. Just gotta be sure the guest is still not sauced the next day and rolls out of bed without use of the ladder.

W

Or that they're old folks who go to bed while the party is still happening below then start complaining.

V
virani posted on Fri, Apr 6, 2012 2:07 AM

Yeah, I thought of that, or when my parents come visit, they can have troubles going up, but then I can always let my room, and sleep in the bar ! Actually, I'd love to sleep in a tiki bar.
good idea Woofmutt.

Maybe blow out the bottom rails...

sweet! tiki loft! then underneath you can put a tiki chair with a tiki ottoman.

btw kon-hemsby, that is a rediculously photogenic photo of you and your missus 8)

V
virani posted on Fri, Apr 6, 2012 8:10 AM

thanks Ben.
That's very cool !! Great inspirations ! That last loft seems very high though. But the first too are great ideas for the room.

hey,
by any chance, you don't feel like it would be great on your resume to do some work in France, don't you ? :wink: I can pay you with wine and cheese !

M
Murph posted on Fri, Apr 6, 2012 1:24 PM

On 2012-04-04 06:23, Johnny Dollar wrote:
totally!!! what is the provenance of that item, is it vintage or of recent construction? either way is is amazing!

It is a recreation.
It was purchased through the now defunct "Rell's Motel" store.
It was a custom order for us that was made in the Philippines shipped sans bed frame to save wait and the bed frame was installed stateside.

M
Murph posted on Fri, Apr 6, 2012 1:36 PM

Here is an original fold down sofa bed that needs restoration but the level of restoration depends on how dimly lit your Tiki Bar will be.

Pages: 1 27 replies