Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

LoungeShark visiting LA - April 22 through May 2

Pages: 1 8 replies

Believe me, I'm wishing I was coming in a few days earlier for Mojave Oasis. But, I'm hitting LA on Sunday, April 22nd and leaving May 2nd. Is there anything going on at that time in the LA area? I plan to hit all the major bars, restaurants, shops, etc. but was wondering if there might be any specific things happening that I should try to attend. I'll have a car the whole time. Also, I'm planning a day trip down to San Diego, too. Is Tiki Farm open to the public? I believe that's on the way down. It'd be cool to check them out. That's the kinda stuff I'm looking for, as well as any bands playing at that time or gatherings. Any advice is appreciated. Mahaloz!

~ John

T

Well, between LA and San Diego is Disneyland and Trader Sam's, the incredible new Tiki bar at the Disneyland Hotel (and you don't need a ticket to get in!)

If you're in the LA area on a Wednesday evening, you should try to stop by Kirby's Rumpus Room in La Cresenta... the coolest home tiki bar with the longest running regular gathering of tiki folk!

There's also Oceanic Arts in Whittier between LA and San Diego (not sure if it's conveniently located between the two) that's totally worth a trip, especially if you're looking to pick up some tiki treasures!

Oh, and LA County museum has an Art Of The Pacific section in the permanent collection...

Hope this was helpful!

Trader Sam's is on the list. Oceanic Arts is on the list. I have a buddy that lives in LA that was going to bar hop with me in the evenings (I'll be at a class the first full week by day), but now he's leaving for month production in Mexico right before I get there (he's a producer or something or other for VH1 reality tv shows). He laughed when I originally sent him the list of where I wanted to go. Here's what I had for what I wanted to do:

• Tiki-ti
  • Trader Vics
  • Damon's in Glendale
  • Tiki-No in San Fernando Valley
  • Tonga Hut in North Hollywood
  • Tiki Farm in San Clemente (prolly on way to San Diego)
  • Bamboo Ben's workshop?
  • Oceanic Arts
  • The Bahooka in Rosemead
  • Bali Hai in San Diego
  • Don the Beachcomber

Since I'm on my own for the first week, anyone want to show me around one evening or meet at any of the places I mentioned above (or elsewhere?)? My wife will be joining me on Friday evening through the rest. The only other thing I have planned is a surf lesson on Monday evening after the class, at El Porto/Manhattan Beach. I've never been so we'll see if I lose any limbs.

On 2012-04-05 23:08, tobunga wrote:
If you're in the LA area on a Wednesday evening, you should try to stop by Kirby's Rumpus Room in La Cresenta... the coolest home tiki bar with the longest running regular gathering of tiki folk!

I've seen pictures of the Rumpus Room. It's INSANEly cool. Is his gathering open for someone to just come crash it? I would be in heaven (sigh) but this being the first time to Cali, I won't necessarily know anyone...except by reputation of course - HA!

K
kirby posted on Fri, Apr 6, 2012 8:47 AM

The Rumpus Room is completely crash able..Just hit me up a few days before just so I know your coming for sure!

On 2012-04-06 08:47, kirby wrote:
The Rumpus Room is completely crash able..Just hit me up a few days before just so I know your coming for sure!

There. (and I will reach out to ya that week - THANKS!)

So regarding the other places I listed, does anyone have any inside info regarding when it's best to visit them? I saw elsewhere that Oceanic Arts has limited hours. I know Tiki Ti does as well. Any others?

Bamboo Ben closed his shop, Check the Don the Beachcomber website for bands and Tiki Central night is
Mondays after 5pm to close.

Thanks for the tip on DTB. I'm thinking I might be able to make it there after 8 Monday night then. Have some other stuff early evening and finishing it off at the Don might be the perfect way to go.

Just got in a little bit ago. Where to go first?

Pages: 1 8 replies