Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

Home Tiki Bar! Woofmutt's Aloha World

Pages: 1 17 replies

W

Finally getting around to getting pictures up of how the new Tiki bar build out at Casa de Woofmut (heh-heh!) went.

Of course a lot of you know that the last attempt to build Woofmutt's Aloha World with my family's help didn't go too well...

But you know know, when at first you don't succeed f*** it, right? (Heh-heh!)

Anyway, I started getting stuff together for the BIG BUILD OUT this past summer.

Here's some lumber and stuff that seemed would work...

Got a good deal on these screws at a yard sale, figured I'd probably use screws so I bought them...

More lumber, really sweet pile here...

Got these nails for free last fall and just straightened them out while watching TV during the winter. Figured I save like $6. DIY!!!

More lumber...

Bamboo, got it free off of Craigslist, just had to drive 125 miles round trip to get it!

More lumber, kinda a junky pile but what you don't use you can always burn, right?

More bamboo, can't recall where I got this stuff. It might have been from a hardware store or at one of the places around here that supplies the really big landscaping companies. I was going to order some from a catalog because the prices are pretty cheap but the shipping charges pretty much do away with any savings. Anyway, I found a huge stock of it for a pretty good price and then overbought (sold most of it to a neighbor who keeps pandas or something like that). Here it is in the old tractor shed after a three day weekend of hauling...

I was originally going to convert my basement but with the washer, dryer, water heater, shooting range, barrels of water and salt pork, plus my wife's racks and racks of wine I really didn't have room. Plus the ceiling is only 5 feet high in the basement because it's not so much a basement as a hole I dug out under my house. Fortunately I had this old shed I wasn't using so it could get torn down. It's not my main shed, or the shed I use for tanning hides, it's just one that was here on the property that I figured I'd fix one day but never did (Ain't it always like that, right?)...

So we cleared it out and tore it down after which I realized I didn't need half the lumber I'd gathered up already. But there's really no such thing as too much lumber, right? Heh-heh! Anyway, I got my co-workers Hector and Brandon to help me sort out the lumber...

Next day I got really excited and put up the back wall...

It didn't go so well so it got torn down and I started again later.

Another dumb idea was a plan to hold the ceiling up with these sort of bamboo columns. I figured I could put them all together first then stick them in place. But here's what happened when I stood them up...

Eventually I came up with a sorta hanging ceiling/roof frame kind of thing which means I made about a thousand of these things...

A couple friends and I got the walls and the ceiling thingamajig up and I did some framework for doors, windows, etc. Measure twice cut once, right? Well don't measure after a Mai Tai or three because here's what a supposedly straight line looks like!

Heh-heh!

I had a bunch of pics of the walls and floor going up but they were on this one camera I had that fell off the back of my pickup so they never got loaded onto the computer. :( Anyway, shortly after that I went down to Outdoors And Beyond in Fife and got duck blind material for thatching the roof...

That's my cousin Phil's trailer and pickup. Here's another shot of the thatch on the trailer...

This shot shows you that it's thatch and that it was towed on a trailer...

Here's the thatch laid out on the ground...

Another shot of thatch so you can see it's all kind of different though it's the same...

Most of the rest of the interior build out was stuff you've seen before, but I thought this was interesting with how the drawers under the bar had fronts on them...

Also for part of inside of the cabinet under the bar (not the one with drawers in it) I used these in order to get the corners solid without having to use heavier pieces of lumber. You probably know what I mean but it's an interesting idea...

Also for some bench seats I found that a sharp blade will cut foam...

Here's the bar stools I was going to use...

I said "was going to use" because, as most of you know from my recent Tiki and lumber sale, Mrs. Woofmutt #3 pointed out that (and here I quote just so you know what I was up against) "If you have all this gawd d****** time and lumber to build some gawd d***** beach bar then you sure as s****** can build me a nice bar for me and my wine club ladies to meet in!" Yeah, so, one yard sale later and a month of her cousin Jess at our house here's my gawd d****** Tiki bar which is still called Woofmutt's Aloha World by me (and there's a sign in the broom closet to prove that)...

MT

Lookin' good, Woofmutt!!!

Now all you need to do is pile up all of those materials in yer house, and live in disarray and utter chaos for two+ years as the construction of your bar unearths problem after problem in yer house that you can't afford to fix, and you'll really be on to something!

How's the rain window comin' along?

Hey! Is that MY aluminum ladder on the left!? Sweet brown convertible Mustang!

I took perhaps 3 pics of my saloon being built. This is the reason it was finished in 5 days.

Quit your wining!!!

There was a
car in that shed?

W

Yeah, thought I mentioned that. It was gone by the time you came and picked up all the other stuff.

Which reminds me, how's your plastic bucket drum kit coming along?

Woof,

Here's a little advice regarding your building of Woofyworld: take two weeks off, then quit.

Sweet scooter! Are you going to hang this over your bar fridge?

Can I like this thread on Facebook? I was sure I could like this on Facebook.

Any more progress photos yet?

Don't hate me cause I have a bike over my bar fridge. Will there be any wild animal dioramas or fake scenic windows?

W

On 2012-04-17 15:43, freddiefreelance wrote:
Can I like this thread on Facebook? I was sure I could like this on Facebook.

Just to save others the hassle:

Face book [insert long rambling rant against Facebook here]!!!

Facebook is why [insert social evil here]!!!

In fact Facebook [insert prediction of societal collapse of one sort or another here]!!!

Everyone asks if I'm on Facebook but [insert lengthy reason why you'll never join Facebook here]!!!

I think Facebook [insert an almost word for word repeat of some point you already made above here]!!!

Facebook is for [insert wide-sweeping derogatory term for people here]!!!

Facebook can [insert damnation or demeaning action here]!!!

W

Here's a bonus off-topic rant for those who seize every opportunity to do so!

What's the big deal with Twitter? 140 characters? What can you say in that? Why would I want to know that someone [insert tedious day-to-day thing you imagine people tweet about here]???

W

Before anyone goes cryin in their rum you might want to read this hilarious lil post by yours truly from almost 3 years back.

And if yuh still think I'm an ass you should keep in mind that

1. I am an ass.
  2. I'm a guy who had an awesome Tiki bar yanked out from under him so that his wife can sip chilled white wine with her book club (a buncha gals who hate me for mostly hardly any reason at all) while discussin yet another book about how men make their lives miserable.

PS: I think a Tiki bike hangin over a fridge is JUST FINE.

M

Ok, I must be missing it, or I am again, pre-mature......where is a damned Tiki in all this? I saw some palapa, but, it's not mounted (except on a trailer)

What gives?

Mahalo

McTiki

W

"Where is a damned Tiki in all this?"

Every time I go in the wine bar I say the exact same thing! (Unless my wife is around.)

W

I had planned to fill Woofmutt's Aloha World with my own Tiki carvings. But my plans were changed for me.

Pages: 1 17 replies