Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Carvings by Atomic Mess

Pages: 1 2 3 4 186 replies

Frame rocks
New one lookin good

thanks again guys, here's some progress-

The new knife is nice to use, easy to control, thanks Alohastation-

back to the gouges-

The loops on the back are not symmetrical, I assumed there was an even number of 'bands' cut into the wood when I started and used these as guide to draw...turns out there were 15 but I didn't notice until well into the carve, duh.

nearly there, thanks for looking

P

that's looking good!

I like it...

i really like it way cool

Lookin good.........

ok he's done, mahogany, 21cm tall-

thanks to everyone who looks and especially those leave feedback!

T

dude! that is so freakin sweet! I had no idea where you were gonna go with that weird shaped log from the wood turner. Damn!

I LOVE your carvings - they have so much life and character. And being an artist too, I'm all about the process and love seeing your step-by-step photos. Makes you appreciate all the hard work!

I've seen your prints on etsy, but have you tried selling some of your carvings? Maybe etsy's not the right place, but do you have another forum for selling these? Seems like they'd be great for bars.

Or maybe you don't want to part with them - wouldn't blame you!

P

best one yet!

Thanks BigT, I wasn't sure where it was going myself!

Cheers PJ, I've got to keep improving to try to keep up with you!

Welcome to TC Quinntiki and thanks for the props. I am attached to the carvings, they've all got names!
I will have to sell some sooner or later to make room for more though... I need to work out how much to charge without ripping myself off, ETSY might work, I know some people are selling there, postage to the US is pretty harsh though...

OK folks, here's a taster of the current project-

more pine, sigh...

What can I do with this??
Stay tuned ;]
Mahalo,

M

Polynesian Shake Weight?

McTiki

With Cy doing the bats maybe it's time to start a Tiki sports franchise McTiki? ;]

Did some work on it-

I thought this was pine but the grain is much finer...

I found another crappy frame to upgrade as well-

mahalo,

M

That's awesomely done whatever it is Mess!

Mahalo!

McTiki

A
amate posted on Fri, Aug 31, 2012 6:02 PM

Beautiful! That's tiki :tiki:

Hi Guys,

haven't posted for a while, I've had a lot going on. I'm working on something but need to take some pictures...

In the mean time I was in Edinburgh this weekend and they have an awesome collection of Oceanic art in the National Museum of Scotland.

They have a Tang there-

those of you 'in the know' will see there's something missing...I had a look and I guess they sawed it off, -Victorians or Presbetarians and their sensitive morals :wink:

Anyway I tried to get a few shots of the back and sides as we don't normally see them-

I like the tool marks...

Hope these are helpful to anyone who's thinking of carving a Tang. I've never done a straight copy before, but seeing this one 'in the flesh' makes think I might have a go sometime...

there's some more pics on my blog if you're interested.

mahalo!

Hi Guys,

here's a quick preview of the one I'm currently carving. He's taking forever and he's a bloodthirsty little b*****d!

cheers

On 2012-10-15 12:03, Atomic Mess wrote:
Anyway I tried to get a few shots of the back and sides as we don't normally see them-

I like the tool marks...

Thank you for the back side shots - you are correct.

Those are interesting tools marks. Like a serated chisel. Maybe a shell?

I make sure to feed/wipe the tiki if any blood is shed. Sometimes it helps.

glad to be able to help, I've learned alot from everyone's posts here.

Good call on the shell, it didn't occur to me but seems obvious now!

I've donated quite a bit of blood to the new guy, might have to name him Vlad...

OK finally Vlad is finished, after yet another donation...

The nose hole goes all the way through, I'm thinking of putting a bone through it...

back view-

thanks for stopping by!

WC

That should be next to that Tang
at the museum.

C

Good stuff my messy friend, I like this one a lot. Of
course I like it, there's a bird!

C
cy posted on Thu, Nov 8, 2012 3:08 PM

Vlad looks great A Mess, nice job!

P

really developin' a style there bro...

and I'm likin' it...

Thanks for the feedback as always guys, you make me feel I should carve more often ;]

here's a couple of closeups so I can get the bonus points for going all the way through...

I'll be toasting in a Tiki style tonight, enjoy your weekend!

Cheers

A
amate posted on Sun, Nov 11, 2012 5:32 AM

No extra credit points needed on this one. I gave you an A+ on the facial expression alone. You may apply the bonus points on your next carve!

new project on the go,
Can you tell what it is yet?

apologies to AlohaStation and Rolf Harris ;]

Rolf Harris? It's a "tiki kangaroo?"

M

Mahogany Panel?

Tiki Kangaroo, that I'd like to see...

I'll leave the panels to the expert for the moment McTiki ;]

Finished this one pretty quick (for me anyway) so I didn't really take any progress shots.

detail-

I'm pretty happy with this, I plan to do another...

M

Thats pretty awesome AM!

Never would have guessed this...

keep em coming!

Mahalo

McTiki

HT

That's really good.

I'm going to read the rest of the thread now.

EDIT: Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnn do I dig what you do.

[ Edited by: Hale Tiki 2012-11-28 13:13 ]

That's a lot of detail for 2 days.
& it looks so old school.

P

^ yeah, no shit....looks like an authentic older piece!

Nice one Mess...a Kangaroo Comb!

thanks McTiki, I was planning do a comb for awhile, glad I finally got round to it.

@Hale thanks for checking out the thread! I'm looking forward to seeing the Aku Aku room...

Will and PJ it's only 20cm tall and the patterns are shallow so it didn't take too long. I reckon I spent more time on the finish, trying to get the 'aged' look.

Thanks Conga ;]

Here's some pics of second try at a Marq I started on Monday-

I'd better get on with it...

Love the comb. I may have to borrow that idea someday? The new one is looking good so far.

C
cy posted on Fri, Nov 30, 2012 5:11 PM

I agree, the comb is a winner Atomic Mess!

thanks guys! I'd be interested to see your take on it Aloha...

A
amate posted on Sat, Dec 1, 2012 3:37 AM

[

Now that's Tiki! You really have the vibe down pat. Wish I could do that.

P

Diggin that new Marq carving. All this rad new stuff is really making me itch to try some carving myself. Of course, I've been saying that since I first joined, too...

good to see you've since started your first carve PT!

Here's the finished Marq-

Thanks for looking!

[ Edited by: Atomic Mess 2012-12-10 12:56 ]

M

Very nice piece sir.

Grog should be happy when he sees this one.

Very rustic style. I like it!

Mahalo

McTiki

A

your getting way too good at this. Keep it rollin'.

P

I like it...

in a sea of guys who are kinda just copying each other, I have a lot of respect for people who's style is distinctive...

The more I look at that thing.
The more I like it.
Good job!

Thanks for all your feedback since I joined this year guys, it really does make me work harder, as well as seeing all the amazing work you post up here. I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone is going to make next year...

Merry Xmas to everyone who stops by here and especially 'the regulars' who comment on this thread (you know who you are). I'll be toasting you with a Singapore Sling later!

Mahalo!

Atomic- that's a great one

Thanks Hang 10.

Hey all, here's an update.
I started making another comb after new year as someone wanted to buy one. I thought would try basswood as I read on here it's easy to carve and it's also easy to get in thin sheets...

Big mistake! I didn't like carving it at all, really hard to get detail and pretty fuzzy/splintery.

I was not happy with the result but I still had another piece so decided to have another go. I got a better result second time round by making sure my knife was really sharp and changing the way I carved it...

The original (mahogany) is on the left, then the first basswood in the middle and the second on the right. The designs on the middle one are pretty undefined. You can see here-

the second basswood version (the right) came out much better. I'm going to try and rescue the other one but next time it's back to hardwoods for me!

[ Edited by: Atomic Mess 2013-02-06 12:58 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 186 replies