Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge 4-18-12: We Got the Blues

Pages: 1 0 replies

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge Playlist: April 18, 2012

On this week’s show we celebrated the celerious and bountiful musical form known as the blues in all of its multifarious manifestations. . Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge is broadcast on Wednesdays, 5-6 pm EDT at: http://www.radiofairfax.org The show is broadcast live; no recorded shows are archived. Some fans choose to record it on their computers to listen to later. Radio Fairfax also can be heard on Tune In Radio at tunein.com, and streamed on smartphones by downloading the Tunein app. It can be streamed on Roku and Google TV at: http://tinyurl.com/3uqfsz9

1. “Mr. Freddie Blues” by Art Tatum from the album: 20th Century Piano Genius, Recorded in 1950 at a party at the Beverly Hills home of Warner Brothers Studios musical director and multiple Academy Award nominee & three-time Oscar winner Ray Heindorf.

2. “Young Street Blues” by Cyril Pahinui from his CD titled: 6 & 12-String Slack Key. Ref: Young Street Recording Studio in Honolulu.

3. “California Blues” by the Georgia Jumpers, from the anthology: King Bennie Nawahi – Hawaiian String Virtuoso – Acoustic Steel Guitar Classics From the 1920s.

4. “State Street Jive” the 1928 recording by Cow Cow Davenport from the collection: The Essential [DISC ONE], featuring Ivy Smith on Vocal.

5. “I Need a Little Sugar in My Bowl” the 1931 song by Bessie Smith from the compilation: Sugar in My Bowl – Vintage Sex Songs 1923-1952.

6. “Goin' Crazy with the Blues” the 1926 recording of the song by J.C. Johnson & Andy Razaf by Mamie Smith taken from the collection: The Essential.

7. “Beat Biscuit Blues” by Bob Brozman, Mike Auldridge and David Grisman from their CD: Tone Poems III – The Sounds of Great Slide & Resophonic Instruments.

8. “Waimänalo Blues” by The Brothers Cazimero singing the Thor Wold & Liko Martin composition from their recording: Destiny.

9. “St. Louis Blues” the 1927 recording by Sam Ku West with James Kohono on Guitar from the CD Box Set: Steelin’ It – The Steel Guitar Story.

10. “Royal Garden Blues,” recorded in 1954 by Kid Ory's Creole Jazz Band, featuring Kid Ory on Trombone and Don Ewell on Piano, from the superbulous CD Box Set: Doctors, Professors, Kings & Queens: The Big Ol' Box of New Orleans.

11. “52nd Street Blues,” the Thelonious Monk composition performed by Bud Powell on Piano with Fats Navarro on Trumpet, Sonny Rollins on Tenor Sax, Tommy Potter on String Bass, and Roy Haynes on Drums, from the 1951 recording: The Amazing Bud Powell, Volume One.

12. “Tell Me More and Then Some,” the Billie Holiday song performed by Jackie Ryan from her 2009 two-CD set: Doozy [DISC TWO], featuring Jeremy Pelt on Trumpet and Cyrus Chestnut on Piano.

13. “Every Day I Have the Blues,” by Big Kahuna and the Copa Cat Pack from their recording: Hawaiian Swing, with Matt Catingub on vocal.

14. “Today I Sing the Blues,” the 1947 recording by Helen Humes from the collection: Blue and Sentimental, featuring Buck Clayton on Trumpet, Teddy Wilson on Piano, Rudy Williams on Tenor Sax and Scoville Browne on Clarinet.

15. “Blues My Naughty Sweetie Gives to Me,” The 1919 song by Charles McCarron, Casey Morgan & Arthur Swanstrom recorded in 1957 or 1958 by Benny Carter on Alto Sax from the anthology: Jazz Giant, including Andre Previn on Piano, Barney Kessel on Electric Guitar, Leroy Vinnegar on String Bass and Shelly Manne on Drums.

16. “Too Blue,” from the 1958 LP: The Arrival of Victor Feldman, with Victor Feldman on Vibes & Piano, Scott La Faro on Bass and Stan Levey on Drums. [Taken from the collection: Victor Feldman/Four Classic Albums]

Pages: 1 0 replies