Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

bought my first set of tiki mugs today

Pages: 1 22 replies

nothing historic about them.

ceramic, made-in-China, sort of goods you'd find in Target or WalMart. some would call them kitschy or schlocky or even cheesy.

but, wouldnt that make them the modern equivalent of mid-century poly-pop???

in any event, am excited to drink my navy grogs and 1934 zombie punches from them...

With out all the lead, I hope! :lol:

Yes!!! Thats what im talking about. 34 zombie style :D. Cool on the mugs man.

Stop... collecting... mugs... now... before whole house is filled!!! Seek treatment before too late... 1934 Zombie is best medicine...!!!

No picture?

nah, just this mass-market set of four that my wife got on amazon, they turn up at top of google search results. i'm a little embarrassed to even admit to them, they're not true "tiki" at all.

and now that somebody raised the issue, i AM concerned about lead in them!

M

C'mon....a Tiki mug (even a Leilani!) Is Tiki. I own some of that set you speak of. The Tangaroan is the keeper in that set. Be proud! Pay attention to discretion while hunting! If you see a volcano bowl for 5 bucks and you have 42 of them at home....buy it anyways! My name is Andy and I am a Tiki mug hoarder...be careful out there....

Mahalo

McTiki

Yep, yep... what McTiki said... we are fans of all things tiki. Even with the "good" finds I've had, I still can't turn down the chance to rescue some cheap little tourist cup!

heh. thanks for all the shared thoughts.

i always intended to get my first set from trader vic's, but the prices were too high at the sarasota TV island grill, and the TV website shop is down for some reason.

mctiki- cant recall if i've asked you before, but what part of FLA are you in?

My first tiki "mug" was actually a little ceramic planter I found in the floral section of Von's/Safeway :lol:

Cheers

C'mon, porpoise! We'd love to see your acquisitions, and congrats on your first mugs!

okay, its the Accoutrements set, to my surprise they're actually cataloged on Ooga Mooga. but here's an amazon pic:

G
GROG posted on Wed, Apr 25, 2012 8:57 PM

At least yours are ceramic. All of GROG' tiki mugs are plastic.

G
GROG posted on Wed, Apr 25, 2012 8:57 PM

[ Edited by: grog 2012-04-26 00:10 ]

Z

I'd bet that at least 80% of us have those guys... I know I do. Congrats! Enjoy the word of mug fun!

Congratulations on your mug purchases. I don't have an overwhelming collection of mugs and don't have the knowledge or money to purchase the historic collector items that the experts buy, but I love my collection. I buy from artists on TC and from Tiki Farm and Bars when I find them. You do what you can, when you can, and over time you will acquire a little ceramic heaven and then you gotta build shelves and host a crawl and buy that print and get those shirts and get that giant tiki that will just fit in your corner and........

I love them! A nice way to start with a pop of color!

I also just started collecting about a month ago. It's just a little addicting, right? :) I needed a home for the 12 mugs I have acquired, so I spent 2 days searching a for a round rattan wall shelf and now on it goes...

Can you hear the drums and the chanting "one of us, one of us" in the background? I sure can.

I think the Accoutrements mugs were my first also!
You're off to a good start :)

LL

Welcome to the addictive world of tiki collecting! You're in trouble now!

Such a positive vibe on this thread, Maika'i Na'au, you guys are pretty great. I bought those mugs too, from Archie McPhee's around '95, long before I knew of any Tiki Ohana.

I always said I wasn't going to collect tiki mugs. A year and a half ago I bought one. There're like rabbits, they keep multiplying. I now have 25 but I'm not collecting tiki mugs.

On 2012-04-25 20:57, GROG wrote:
At least yours are ceramic. All of GROG' tiki mugs are plastic.

Doug the Tiki Mug once told me that plastic is the only way to go poolside. :)

Pages: 1 22 replies