Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Rocket Rods Hut of Shame

Pages: 1 22 replies

Hello all;
here's a complete thread showing my new home tiki bar, the "Hut of Shame". Shameful only due to the amount of indulgence that occurs!
After selling my retail business in January with the ambition to open a real tiki bar business here in Vancouver I was hired to run a tiki patio near downtown starting April 21st.
In the time between (February and March) I took some time to travel to California and build a new home bar.
Check out the progress from start to finish! Thanks for looking and let me know what you think

Rod
http://www.shamefultiki.com

Getting things started, just deciding on a basic layout was hard. This room is small! Started with the vintage bench corner seat. Had to build it into it's spot and then frame around it

Here's an idea of what I decided to do frame/layout wise

Here's a shot after I started the bamboo trim around the bottom part. To the right is a two seater bar top spot made with a big chunk of cedar. As well you'll see all of the thatch and trim going into place on the walls.

Close up shot of wall thatch and bamboo trim

A shot of the bench wall as it develops a little clearer.

Here's the entrance wall to the left of the bench seat wall showing the basic wall design work coming together

trim work

more trim work

first shot of the actual bar wall on the opposite side of the room to the bench seat wall. My wife brought home this head board from a client who wanted to get rid of her old water bead. It was quickly decided that this would make a great weathered looking and functional wall unit for all the glassware and booze!

Bracing the piece to the wall

another shot of the way we mounted it.

Random ceiling corner trim work shot

installing the design work underneath the wall mounted unit behind the bar

Started to apply the thatch and poles to the ceiling, got a sliver of thatch in my eye which was driving me crazy. Had to go to the doctors whereby he froze me eye in order to remove it. Wore the only eyewear I could find in short notice - some stupid joke glasses from a party my wife went to.... they even light up which didn't help whatsoever

A shot of the offending thatch and trim work over the bar wall unit

Then for fun I thought I would put a screw into the wiring behind the wall that ties into the harness for the room next door, that left our office in the dark! That was cool, had to spend an afternoon correcting that.

Ceiling work above the bench seat

Again at the bar wall, here's how it's developing with the trim going into place.

Here's a shot of the actual Witco bar and the unit behind it, trim work, lighting and some of the decor/essentials going into place.

With things in place I made myself a Nui Nui, decorated the room and here come the results.

Very nice job, Also good choice of accoutrement & ephemera.

I'm lucky enough to have visited said hut and it's even better in person - not to mention the fantastic cocktails! Well done Rod!

Great build. I love the creative use of the waterbed headboard - if only that headboard could talk!

Just went to my bar
Made a tiki tuaca
Put on Martin Denny's Exotica 2
Pulled up TC
And saw all your great pics
The bar looks outstanding
Job well done

Jon

That's THE LOOK! Thanks for sharing it with us.

M

Beautiful space!

Now I want to see yours!

Thank you for sharing!

Mahalo

McTiki

Gorgeous place. The lighting is absolutely perfect. Congratulations, you must be elated with it.

I dig it! What part of the country are you in?

[ Edited by: Big Kahuna 2012-04-25 05:56 ]

I'm in Vancouver BC, Canada.
Thanks for the kind words everyone

NICE!

I think your bar is coming along very nicely. You do great trim work.

S

WOW !!!! It really has a good vibe, and you got some great photos!

WOWZA!!! Very nice indeed.

Looking at your finished room I'd swear I'd stepped back in time. The room looks like it's been there for decades. Terrific job, Wendy

Great job. It's nice to see more Canadian content.

This is very cool. Great build and I love the ambience you put all around. I love seeing those Martin Denny albums with the exotica girls. :wink:. Aloha!!!!

whoa, very cool!

wow, nice job. The clutter is just right...

PP

loving it!!!!!

T

You've put an amazing amount of work into a small place- love all of it, and I agree w/ Wendy- looks like it's been there a while. Very cool design elements, impressive!

H
harro posted on Wed, May 29, 2013 3:49 AM

Must of missed this one... what a great job! Well done!!

Great bar!

Glad you survived the construction of your bar!
Congratulations,it looks fantastic.
Thanks for sharing.

Pages: 1 22 replies