Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Trader Sam's-Disneyland is coming out with their own mugs

Pages: 1 2 73 replies

While I was at Trader Sam's yesterday I asked our waiter if they were ever going to get special mugs for TS's and he said they'll be arriving at the end of May or the beginning of June. The end of May would coincide with their 1 year anniversary. In addition to the new mugs they're also going to have a volcano bowl that you'll only be able to get at Trader Sam's.

Cool, wonder what they came up with and who designed it. Hope it's something original, not just a off-the-shelf piece that they put a logo on.

My waiter said they were going to be original. He said he collects tiki so he probably knows what he's talking about, I hope. :)

Kevin Kidney told me about this in June 2011 at The Hukilau. He (possibly together with Jody Daily) is the designer of the mugs. Planning for this series of custom mugs started well over a year ago and Kevin was very excited about it. I didn't ask Kevin who would be manufacturing the mugs. My guess is that, due to the volume of mugs needed, they will be manufactured offshore. And I didn't ask if they would be limited editions.

Kevin is not new to designing tiki mugs. Both the phenomenal-looking Miehana and the Hukilau 2009 & 2011 mugs are his designs.

Too bad I moved from Anaheim to Florida. Now I'll have to con someone into buying them for me (and enjoying the drinks) when they start coming out!

Thank you for the information! Since Kevin and Jody decorated Trader Sam's it makes sense that they would create the mugs and bowls. I've got some Kevin and Jody tiki mugs.

Yer welcome! And the next time you're in Trader Sams, see if you can find the Miehana mug that's been carefully placed so as to blend into the decor. That mug may still be the record holder for the most expensive Miehana mug ever purchased on eBay. Kevin told me that nobody had a Miehana mug they were willing to donate to Trader Sams, so Disney waited for one to appear on eBay. Prior to Disney's purchase, I held the high-dollar record. I'm still not sure I'm proud of that, but I had to have one for my collection, so it is what it is...

Another bit of trivia: Kevin and Jody also built the "ship in a bottle" in Trader Sams. It's a replica of the "Wicked Wench" pirate ship which is found in Disneyland's "Pirates of the Caribbean" attraction. It was inspired by the famous ship-in-a-bottle which graced the back wall of the bar in the old Library of the now-extinct and famous "Adventurers Club" on Pleasure Island. I miss the Club...

Kungaloosh!

Cool info. Im excited for this :D. I will have too look for that Miehana mug next time im there.

That would be a truly worthwhile endeavor, sir! You can look up the Miehana drink recipe online, in Beachbum Berry's "Intoxica" on page 56, or in his "Remixed." Jeff Berry, in collaboration with Kevin Kidney, created the companion cocktail.

I'll be there with bells on to get Disney Tiki mugs! Sounds great!

J

I got a chance to speak w. Kevin & Jody at Hukilau 2011 and got to talking about the WDW 40th Anniversary stuff they had done. They said that when WDW asked, since they only get to do stuff for DL, they went a bit overboard and "submitted far more concepts than Disney had expected, including attraction replicas and scale models, a line of retro Tiki mugs for the Polynesian resort, and other cool stuff."

It seems to me the Trader Sam mugs are what were originally pitched as the "WDW 40th Anniversary" mugs for the Polynesian. Either way, VERY cool. I'm hoping these are a resounding sales success so that WDW decides to sell them at the Polynesian, saving me a ton on airfare and luggage fees.

As an aside, I may well hold the LOW-dollar record for a Miehana mug, that I picked up when I made a typo in the eBay search and some poor seller had made the same typo. It turned out that I was the only bidder and the price I paid for it was closer to larceny than a commercial transaction.

On 2012-04-30 11:43, AceExplorer wrote:
Yer welcome! And the next time you're in Trader Sams, see if you can find the Miehana mug that's been carefully placed so as to blend into the decor.

Where's Waldo...er I mean Miehana?

Okay sorry not the greatest angle, and with my phone, but she's up there. Also notice the other notable mugs it has for company. Again, great news, especially hearing that it may very well be something unique and special. Now I just need to know when it's on sale.

On 2012-04-30 09:01, tikilongbeach wrote:
While I was at Trader Sam's yesterday I asked our waiter if they were ever going to get special mugs for TS's and he said they'll be arriving at the end of May or the beginning of June. The end of May would coincide with their 1 year anniversary. In addition to the new mugs they're also going to have a volcano bowl that you'll only be able to get at Trader Sam's.

awesome!
I am planing on going there the second week of june!

On 2012-04-30 11:43, AceExplorer wrote:

Another bit of trivia: Kevin and Jody also built the "ship in a bottle" in Trader Sams. It's a replica of the "Wicked Wench" pirate ship which is found in Disneyland's "Pirates of the Caribbean" attraction. It was inspired by the famous ship-in-a-bottle which graced the back wall of the bar in the old Library of the now-extinct and famous "Adventurers Club" on Pleasure Island.

I wonder if that was the inspiration for Black Beards pirate ships in bottles from "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides"?

J

Given my experience of WDW -- which isn't exactly the same thing as DL -- I would guess these mugs will not be a limited edition anything if they are sold at TS. Likely they will be sold in a "...and for $X, keep the mug as a souvenir!" sort of way.

This is the way the Polynesian Resort in WDW did it, to discourage what we might call...um..."field collecting" which I know was a problem at TS. Occasionally, you'll see what you and I would recognize as Squid's Fourtune Fire Bowl (used for the Uh-Oa) or the Lancaster Colony 14oz Tiki glass (Used for the Mai-Tai) on eBay as some superfantastic, rare TS collectible, and you realize these were lifted from TS.

At any rate, I am crazy eager to get to DL (probably spring break 2013 with the kids) to get my own set.

A little tropical birdy with a very direct connection told me that a certain tiki mug manufacturer in south Orange County, CA was involved in production of the new mugs. I heard this about 6 months ago. I'm very excited for the Trader Sam's custom pieces.

Sweet! I always wondered why they didn't have their own mugs...

C

Great news. Mrs Chippy and I plus one of the Chiplets stopped by Trader SAMs last night. It was fun. I will definitely be returning. Especially for a custom or signature mug.

Well what took them so long!

On every occasion I’ve been to Trader Sam’s they’ve had the same two take-home items on offer. Pay a little extra for a Krakatoa Punch and it will be served in a Tiki Farm produced mug you can take home.
http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/all/mug.cgi?mode=view&mug_id=768

Order a HippopotoMai-Tai (collective groan) and pay a little extra and it comes in a clear glass two-faced tiki goblet.
http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/all/mug.cgi?mode=view&mug_id=61
Even though Ooga-Mooga labels it “common”, I’m actually quite fond of this one. One of the tiki faces is happy and the other angry. Face the glass whichever way suits your mood.

Neither of these is a branded item. They’re not specifically made for Trader Sam’s and they don’t say "Trader Sam’s" (or even "Disney") on them anywhere. I was stunned! If you don’t have kids or really buy Disney products much, maybe you don’t understand how stunning this is. This is STUNNING!!

Disney will normally take every opportunity to sell you branded merchandise. They are masters at it. They sell you stuff at unexpected times and, perhaps, even at times when it’s not welcome. Yet Sam’s is a setting where guests are EXPECTING there to be a branded souvenir. They’re LOOKING for it! How is it possible these folks have run a cool new tiki bar for an entire year without a single branded tie-in?

Don’t mistake my rant here. I’m a big fan of Sam’s and Disney (and Tiki Farm) and I’m happily looking forward to what they’ll have. I'm only surprised they waited this long.

M

[ Edited by: mymotiki 2012-05-19 09:05 ]

J

On 2012-05-18 18:31, kenbo-jitsu wrote:
[snip]Order a HippopotoMai-Tai (collective groan) and pay a little extra and it comes in a clear glass two-faced tiki goblet.
http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/all/mug.cgi?mode=view&mug_id=61
Even though Ooga-Mooga labels it “common”, I’m actually quite fond of this one. One of the tiki faces is happy and the other angry. Face the glass whichever way suits your mood.

Neither of these is a branded item. They’re not specifically made for Trader Sam’s and they don’t say "Trader Sam’s" (or even "Disney") on them anywhere.[snip]

The mug is this one: http://www.wasserstrom.com/restaurant-supplies-equipment/Product_403060 which has been in use (with some variations) at Walt Disney World's Polynesian Resort since forever. Originally it was frosted and branded with both the WDW and Polynesian Resort logos, but the frosting was easily marred and then the branding went -- I guess as a consequence of "field collecting" -- to the plain-jane version available today at the Poly's gift shop (4 for $36 the last time I looked) or online from restaurant supply places ($104 for a case, you do the math.)

Forgot the pix....

Thanks for the update, they are great looking mugs! Their blog article says, "...while supplies last." Makes me wonder if it's just a marketing tactic or if these are really going to be limited.

These mugs may become the intro to tiki mug collecting for quite a few folks.

C

& for all you swizzle stick fans, there are also new custom SWIZZLE STICKS!!!

I've got some of each design & will post a picture soon! :)

On 2012-05-22 05:46, croe67 wrote:

Oooooh! :D

On 2012-05-22 05:46, croe67 wrote:

Tease!

T

I called Sam's and the bartender was tight lipped about the price of the mugs. When pressed she told me that they would be in the same price range as Don the Beachcomber mugs. They can be purchased with or without a beverage.

F

On 2012-05-22 17:11, TikiVato wrote:
I called Sam's and the bartender was tight lipped about the price of the mugs. When pressed she told me that they would be in the same price range as Don the Beachcomber mugs. They can be purchased with or without a beverage.

The new Uh Oa bowl will be $36 and the Barrel $18.50. That includes the drink as well. http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/05/check-out-new-souvenir-cocktail-glasses-at-trader-sams-at-the-disneyland-hotel/

[ Edited by: finky099 2012-05-22 17:42 ]

So, how do you get them if you live in Texas? Will they ship?

T

Finky,
Mahalo for the prices. I will be there on Friday to pick up one of each. You going on Friday?

Sigh! 3000 miles away, as usual!

On 2012-05-22 18:27, Big Kahuna wrote:
Sigh! 3000 miles away, as usual!

Lord man when we go down I will pick you up both.

Geez!

I just might have too get me these when I go down for tiki marketplace. But if my buddy and I make arrangments too go to the Tiki Ti instead then screw the mugs. Tiki Ti over mugs any day. :D

Finky-Thanks for your efforts! Btw, anyone know who designed or mfg'd the mug and bowl?

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2012-05-23 09:46 ]

Awwwww crumbs... Just called in a favor, fingers crossed. These look terrific!

J

On 2012-05-22 23:13, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:
Finky-Thanks for your efforts! Btw, anyone know who designed or mfg'd the mug and bowl?

According to Kevin Kidney, Tiki Farm and Disney's internal team were responsible.

We will try to stop by Friday night, Jeff you around then?

depends on what time you mean.
I am going to see Nutty in LBC.

Jeff(btd)

For everyone out of state I'm sure the new Trader Sam's mugs will end up on ebay. Everything ends up on ebay. I'll be going after work to pick up mine!

J

On 2012-05-24 18:04, tikilongbeach wrote:
For everyone out of state I'm sure the new Trader Sam's mugs will end up on ebay. Everything ends up on ebay. I'll be going after work to pick up mine!

For 3x the retail price where they languish stubbornly.

On 2012-05-24 18:20, jokeiii wrote:

On 2012-05-24 18:04, tikilongbeach wrote:

For 3x the retail price where they languish stubbornly.

That's unfortunately true.

K

Sigh... If anyone is willing to help out a big 'ol Disney geek, I would be oh so grateful.

How limited are these mugs? $80 for a $36 bowl that was released TODAY seems excessive.

[ Edited by: KittyKat65 2012-05-25 16:01 ]

T

My brother and our wives arrived about 11:45am thinking we would be one of the firsts ones there. We were wrong. Almost every seat was taken.

My brother and his wife indulge in an Ug OA. I think my brother drank most of it.

My wife and I enjoy a shipwrecked.

My brother has a shipwrecked and gets Goofy.

Mahalo,

TikiVato

[ Edited by: TikiVato 2012-05-25 16:41 ]

On 2012-05-25 16:01, KittyKat65 wrote:
How limited are these mugs? $80 for a $36 bowl that was released TODAY seems excessive.

[ Edited by: KittyKat65 2012-05-25 16:01 ]

They are not limited. They will be reordered once they sell out.

T

The bottom of the bowl and the mug is stamped with first edition. I wonder how many they will make before they make the second edition.

HT

Some pictures of Tiki Friends at Sam's

Pages: 1 2 73 replies